Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Ferries france 19

Options
  • 29-11-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

Has anyone any info on Irish Ferries to France 2019, or have they given up on the whole Ireland to France now after last summer ? Getting tight to book campsite etc in France.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're awaiting trials of the new boat that is insanely late and was meant to be handed over today - I don't know if it was!

Should be very soon the timetable is published

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

L1011 wrote: »
    They're awaiting trials of the new boat that is insanely late and was meant to be handed over today - I don't know if it was!

Should be very soon the timetable is published

No, back to the shipyard for issues found during test run, should be handed over next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vic_08 wrote: »
    No, back to the shipyard for issues found during test run, should be handed over next week.

The next one from FSG better be fecking free

Signed

ICG Shareholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

L1011 wrote: »
    The next one from FSG better be fecking free

Signed

ICG Shareholder.

Karma's a bitch.

Signed

Laid off former IF crew member.

Between that and Rothwells pay it's fairly easy to say they deserve it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

Tick Tock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Could they not actually release dates for the summer? Surely the boat will be good for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Took a massive gamble and booked some of our stay in France yesterday.

Campsite we wanted books out fast, we built in some wiggle room with stopover campsite to/from but it would be reassuring to see ferry dates soon.

_Brian wrote: »
    Took a massive gamble and booked some of our stay in France yesterday.

Campsite we wanted books out fast, we built in some wiggle room with stopover campsite to/from but it would be reassuring to see ferry dates soon.

Massive gamble? most people have there campsite booked months ago, so you are not alone :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Mid March to end September for WB Yeats on Dublin Cherbourg route has been released for booking today.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

is this normal to release part of the schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I think it is unusual to only release part of the Ireland-France Schedule.

Up to March, there are maintenance schedules that are affecting all routes, they're between a rock and a hard place at the moment, in that the new ship is a very unknown quantity, they don't know yet if there will be any issues with it during the initial months in service, it's way late and a new design from a yard that's not built one like it before.

Given the massive delivery delays, I am going to suggest that their confidence levels right now are at rock bottom.

Another factor is that the Epsilon was supposed to be being returned from lease, so is not part of the schedules at the moment, which leaves them with a hole that hasn't been properly filled yet.

There is no doubt that these delays will have hurt Irish Ferries, I think they had no choice other than to put the France Schedule up, it was only a few weeks ago that the UK routes from Jan 6th went live, which is a clear indication that they really don't know how the New Year is going to work out.

I wonder if they are also concerned that there may be "issues" with Ulysses during dry dock, they had a major prop malfunction last summer, which suggests that they will be wanting to look very closely at the props this winter to try and avoid a repeat of the disruption that happened earlier in the year, which could have a significant knock on effect to the rest of the dry dock plans.

All in all, not an easy time for the decision makers, and unlike other services, it's hard to find a "spare" ferry at short notice, they don't exist in the same way as for things like aircraft, so if something breaks, there's a hole in the schedules until it can be fixed, and for some parts, that can take significant time.

Up to March, there are maintenance schedules that are affecting all routes, they're between a rock and a hard place at the moment, in that the new ship is a very unknown quantity, they don't know yet if there will be any issues with it during the initial months in service, it's way late and a new design from a yard that's not built one like it before.

Given the massive delivery delays, I am going to suggest that their confidence levels right now are at rock bottom.

Another factor is that the Epsilon was supposed to be being returned from lease, so is not part of the schedules at the moment, which leaves them with a hole that hasn't been properly filled yet.

There is no doubt that these delays will have hurt Irish Ferries, I think they had no choice other than to put the France Schedule up, it was only a few weeks ago that the UK routes from Jan 6th went live, which is a clear indication that they really don't know how the New Year is going to work out.

I wonder if they are also concerned that there may be "issues" with Ulysses during dry dock, they had a major prop malfunction last summer, which suggests that they will be wanting to look very closely at the props this winter to try and avoid a repeat of the disruption that happened earlier in the year, which could have a significant knock on effect to the rest of the dry dock plans.

All in all, not an easy time for the decision makers, and unlike other services, it's hard to find a "spare" ferry at short notice, they don't exist in the same way as for things like aircraft, so if something breaks, there's a hole in the schedules until it can be fixed, and for some parts, that can take significant time.

Good info thanks, but what about the Oscar Wilde?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

FredFunk wrote: »
    Good info thanks, but what about the Oscar Wilde?

Will IF continue to run the OW from Rosslare to France for 2019 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Will IF continue to run the OW from Rosslare to France for 2019 ?

Only the WBY is slated for 2019 ex Dublin; nothing ex Rosslare on the on-line planner. With the Epsilon being returned, perhaps the OW will work current Epsilon schedule, Holyhead & Cherburg, until the next ferry arrives in 2020?

I think the plan is to have daily service to France (OW - Rosslare+WBY - Dublin) and 4 to Holyhead (Ulysses + new ship).

I suspect that Irish Ferries don't know for sure what they are going to be doing beyond March, in that there was and now is even more a massive level of uncertainty over the routes that will be needed post Brexit. If, and it seems possible, the Brexit scenario goes bad, there is the very real possibility that a lot more capacity will be needed between Ireland and France in order to avoid the massive delays that will occur when trying to get through the UK, even more so if 2 crossings (Ireland-UK, UK-France) are involved. I will go as far as to speculate that we might see WB Yeats AND Ulysses operating from Dublin to France, with Oscar Wilde and Epsilon possibly covering the UK to Holyhead, or we might see Isle of Inishmore moved to Holyhead and one of the smaller ships on Pembroke, it really is that uncertain right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Hi Steve, on that basis is it possible we could be waiting until closer to March before we know if IF will operate a route from Rosslare to France?

I can't even begin to predict what might be in the mix at the moment, what is clear is that the first 3 months of the year will be very varied, with a lot of movements to different routes in order to cover maintenance and dry docking, but the uncertainty over the Brexit scenario, and the concerns over the introduction of WB Yeats make me think that it is indeed possible that we may not see a clear summer schedule until March.

The Dublin Swift is having work done, both maintenance and upgrades, so I will be surprised to see it back before March, and that's also a recognition of the problems of operating fast craft during the winter months. Although nothing was admitted to in the open, it was clear that there were significant engine issues at the end of last summer, which are being addressed over the winter period. I find myself wondering if the Swift will be in service much longer on the Holyhead route once there are 2 large craft on the service, but the uncertainties of Brexit mean that almost anything could change over the next while, it really is that uncertain right now.

Although nothing has been said openly, I would not be surprised to see an over run on the Ulysses maintenance window, after the severe problems that were experienced last summer, I suspect that some in depth investigation of the props will be part of this winter's dry dock plan, and if they find wear or other issues, I would expect them to deal with the issues at that time, rather than risk a repeat of the service disruptions from last summer.

WB Yeats is a completely unknown entity, there is no way to predict how the entry into service will go, they have to be hoping that after all the delays in completion, there will not be any major service issues, but there is literally no way to predict what will happen over the next 3 months

Epsilon was supposed to be being returned off lease, but there has been no update on the plan for that ship, and it may well be the case that Irish Ferries are yet again between a rock and a hard place, one of the issues being that suitable vessels for RoRo work on the Irish Ferries routes are very scarce.

What is very clear is that the next 3 months will be an interesting time.

WB Yeats is currently enroute to Cherbourg for berthing trials. Might as well seen she is passing. Due in to Dublin before Christmas. I’ll hazard a guess and say Saturday or Sunday. Don’t be surprised if she calls in to Rosslare as well for trials.

Rumour was Ulysses hit a submerged sea container, again that’s a rumour. IF never went public with nature of issue.

Rumour again that the delay to WB was the ship was built too short by XX cms and some of the prefabricated cabins wouldn’t fit. Again that’s a rumour only, IF again never declared what the “actual” delay was down to. One way or the other it must have been significant as they ultimately delayed the ship 6+ months. It’ll be interesting to see in years to come what the actual reason was. One of the last delays was due to what was described as sabotage by an FSG employee on an engine.

Brexit is having a massive impact on IFs plans for next year. I can’t see Ulysses running to France. She simply hasn’t got enough cabin berths for a long run. I don’t understand why they haven’t announced Oscars schedule unless they are concerned that they don’t want to announce a Rosslare schedule to then have to switch her to Dublin for the extra haulage trucks that will arise.

IF should just go public with their concerns. But after last years PR disaster it’s clear that IFs PR department is being run by their board who simply don’t want anything out in the public. They are damaging their own brand and reputation at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Sounds like no Rosslare to France routes this summer.

Surprised that they say there’s more demand for Dublin - France than for the shorter crossing from Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Strange one with Brexit around the corner, would have thought they would be adding services to France. Could change quickly though after March.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1218/1017939-irish-ferries/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Sounds like there is an opportunity for, say, Stena Line, to set up sailings from Waterford to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sounds like a great opportunity for CIE to close and remove the railway south of Wexford town.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Surprised that they say there’s more demand for Dublin - France than for the shorter crossing from Wexford

Oscar Wilde was quite slow, so it meant the Dublin-Cherbourg crossing was only about an hour longer than the Rosslare-Cherbourg time. Factor in driving time from Dublin to Rosslare and it’s an hour quicker for customers from Dublin.

Roscoff for now has been dropped I imagine because it only has single deck loading which doesn’t suit the WB Yeats design. On Oscar Wilde I hated that as it usually meant car drivers were left onboard for up to an hour while HGVs were unloaded. Indeed on Pont Aven it causes the same delays unloading.

Hauliers always want less driving as it means less fuel costs, I imagine they pushed for the move as well. They sustain Irish Ferries through the lean tourist winter months.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Sounds like a great opportunity for CIE to close and remove the railway south of Wexford town.

Only last week or the week before an investment of millions in the port was announced. The train timetable stopped being linked to Ferries ages ago. No wonder footfall fell off.

Oscar Wilde was quite slow, so it meant the Dublin-Cherbourg crossing was only about an hour longer than the Rosslare-Cherbourg time. Factor in driving time from Dublin to Rosslare and it’s an hour quicker for customers from Dublin.

The Oscar Wilde has been doing Dublin-Cherbourg in 19 1/2 hours, Epsilon in 20 hours; WB Yeats a planned 18 hours.
    The Stena Horizon does Rosslare - Cherbough in around 19 1/2 hours.

Rosslare - Cherbough might be shorted, but it's not necessarily faster! Other factors have a bearing the cruise times such as port slots, length of time spent in the port.

kc56 wrote: »
    The Oscar Wilde has been doing Dublin-Cherbourg in 19 1/2 hours, Epsilon in 20 hours; WB Yeats a planned 18 hours.
    The Stena Horizon does Rosslare - Cherbough in around 19 1/2 hours.

Rosslare - Cherbough might be shorted, but it's not necessarily faster! Other factors have a bearing the cruise times such as port slots, length of time spent in the port.

That was my point. Shorter in this case doesn’t mean quicker.

Irish Ferries clearly know their customer base. For every person giving out on social media about this decision I guarantee there is a huge amount of people like me that are happy with it. People giving out about fare increases haven’t factored in that this years Dublin prices were for the economy Epsilon and next years are for the WB Yeats. The difference being that between a Dacia and a new Mercedes.

Irish Ferries Dublin-France times - 1600 dep and 11-12 arrive are not rush hour; many complaints on social media about Dublin congestion This contrasts with the Holyhead ferries, both IF and Stena, at 8:45 dep and 17-1730 arrive almost at peak congestion.
    And you're not spending all day on the ship; arriving at 11-12 in the morning is a lot better that 16-17.

Wonder what's happening the Oscar Wilde; it doesn't seem to be in any schedule and without the Epsilon, IF are losing the 2nd Holyhead ship as well.

• Advertisement

Lots of people losing their minds over this. Yeah sailing times are perfect. Hopefully get to use the service in the not too distant future.

Lots of holes in their schedules. Rumour suggests OW sold to possibly Moby, again rumour. Epsilon was due to leave but with the doubts over Brexit I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear announcements re second boat to Holyhead and or continental sailings from Rosslare.

Difficult calls for IF to make.

Advertisement