Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New oven advice

• 15-11-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new electric double oven with as large as possible main oven. I was sure it was going to be a Neff but having spoken to the sales agent in the store, i'm now not so sure. He tells me that Neff, Bosch and Siemens are basically all one company, which doesn't really bother me as they're all good brands. In terms of getting the best oven he recommends Smeg. It doesn't matter which I go for as he sells all the above brands along with AEG, Whirlpool, Electrolux, Zanussi and others. I would just like to get the best oven I can for my money. Does anyone on here have experience of Smeg or any of the others, good or bad. I must admit I was amazed he went for the Italian Smeg over the well known German brands. A quick Google on the Smeg name doesn't fill me with confidence :(

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

We're about to replace our 2nd Neff oven, which is about ten years old. The previous one was replaced under warranty, as the enamel in the main oven flaked off. They tried to blame the problem on the kitchen installer, but, as the kitchen supplier was an agent of theirs, that didn't go far. I'd be slow enough to buy another one tbh.

Our previous oven was a DeDietrich and had a pyrolytic main oven. (The steam cleaning system in the Neff isn't close to the pyrolytic system.) We couldn't get a DeDietrich, when we went to replace it, but they appear to be available, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

We have a bosch double oven since 2005. We get it cleaned professionally once a year. Never gave a bit of bother. i guess 13 years old now.. Cripes..

Looks as good as new when cleaned..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

btw if you are around the dublin area or north east... watters electrical are always good to deal with, very good prices and backup/service.. we buy all our appliances there

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chalky024

Thanks for the heads up but I'm in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

The E/lux is made by AEG, a good quality oven for the money, probably better than most and they have pretty good after sales service. they are multi function and also self cleaning with the nice extra touch of being able to fit your roasting tray on slides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Was up with Watters in Armagh last week and very impressed with them. Dealt with owner Martin and he brought me through all the different brands of appliances and came across as being very honest in his recommendations and views on various brands. Pushed me towards higher end AEG products as good quality prices compared to Bosch/Jeff.
    Getting AEG steam oven and AEG combi microwave as well as AEG larder fridge and freezers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

chalky024 wrote: »
    I would just like to get the best oven I can for my money.

In which case the last person you should be listening to is a salesman in an electrical shop.

Your requirements (as stated above) and his (maximum commission) are diametric opposites. The more commission he makes, the less value you get for your money. Do your research before you go to the store. The only discussion you should have with a salesman is about the delivery date.

Advertisement