Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

South west,West,North west and North. Belmullet around 9am looks dangerous on that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The high-res ARPEGE should be in range once the current run finishes up in another 30 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m guessing a big shift west also shifts the rainfall west
    Do I not like that !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

With the wind leading from the south east and turning south, the south and east coast could take a nasty hit as the front is passing through. Will be passing through the south at morning rush hour with heavy driving rain.

I often find with these systems that the frontal passage can be just as severe as the core of the storm which tends to be more gusty with squally showers.

arpegeuk-11-79-0_qab5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Yep the potential is very much there for this to be destructive, especially along atlantic counties. More runs needed though.

Winds gust at 10 metres

74-289UK-1H_sim0.GIF

And if these upper winds periodically get down too.

74-104UK-1H_bmq6.GIF

• Advertisement

ARPEGE actually done now up to 72h, puts us right in the pocket for the strongest winds:

tempresult_zpl7.gif

Rain is less severe but still pretty heavy in places:

tempresult_pab1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I meant to go fishing to Waterford for the weekend from Friday

Guess ill have to cancel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi everyone I am flying from UK on Friday with Ryanair into Dublin at 5:50 pm.Should I change my flight.Will this have a knock on effect for Friday.Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

The fish could be coming to you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Ya change your flight and go fishing with guy going to Waterford?

• Advertisement

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    And don't post question's like that in this forum people here are willing death and carnage through weather most all the time.

Careful, or we'll get MTC to fire his weather death ray at your house in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Ok, supposed to be flying from Donegal airport to Dublin on Saturday on an small airplane, does this look like it will have passed by then or will I cancel.

People who are asking "will this affect my flight/bar mitzvah/ritualistic slaughter/bank robbery/BBQ garden soiree?"

Here is a handy prediction chart:

City | Earliest possible time of storm effects | Absolute earliest time we can answer local effects questions
    Cork | 1am Friday | 1am Thursday
    Limerick | 1am Friday | 1am Thursday
    Galway | 3am Friday | 3am Thursday
    Kilkenny | 3am Friday | 3am Thursday
    Dublin | 4:30am Friday | 4:30am Thursday
    Sligo | 4:30am Friday | 4:30am Thursday
    Letterkenny | 5:30am Friday | 5:30am Thursday
    Belfast | 5:30am Friday | 5:30am Thursday

For context - Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts will only really become available about 24-30 hours ahead of time, and those are the ones that are important for effects on airports and flights.
    Everything else, it's just too uncertain any earlier than 24 hours before a storm to start asking these questions.

Another disclaimer: these times above are also predictions, they are not anywhere near certain either. But the basic rule is - if you're asking whether it will affect you more than 24 hours before a storm is predicted to hit, you're not going to get a solid answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

darth_maul wrote: »
    Ok, supposed to be flying from Donegal airport to Dublin on Saturday on an small airplane, does this look like it will have passed by then or will I cancel.

This is not aimed at you specifically but can people please stop posting about what they're supposed to be doing and whether the weather will affect their specific circumstances. These posts ruin the thread. We're all supposed to be doing stuff on Friday and should use our own judgement based on the weather forecast for specific locations + other info (e.g. this forum) + common sense to make a decision to go ahead with a particular activity or not.

In my opinion, the thread will be more informative to us all if it is as streamlined as possible, i.e., consisting mostly of contributions from the people who really know their stuff about the weather and how it's likely to pan out, rather than contributions from people (like me or you) who just add to the clutter and make the thread harder to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1257 Met Eireann update

On Thursday night potentially stormy conditions may develop as a low pressure system off the west coast tracks northwards. The exact track is still somewhat uncertain but it coincides with high spring tides. Thursday evening and early in the night will be mostly dry but very heavy rain and extremely windy or stormy conditions will sweep in from the southwest. Strong to gale force and blustery south to southeast winds will back southwesterly early Friday morning. This could well lead to some disruption, with some damaging gusts in places, but especially in exposed Atlantic coastal areas. The potentially stormy conditions may clear quickly on Friday morning with winds moderating and mostly dry weather for a time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well said. I was dying to say that.

Just staying directly on topic I see in Indo that 150kph winds will be off West coast Friday morning

Another will it wont it Red warning. Think they should just advise people in the West not to go to work until storm has passed i.e. prob 11 or 12am

Schools will prob be closed in Atlantic counties unless storm stays West. very touch n go

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

From met.ie

On Thursday night potentially stormy conditions may develop as a low pressure system off the west coast tracks northwards. The exact track is still somewhat uncertain but it coincides with high spring tides. Thursday evening and early in the night will be mostly dry but very heavy rain and extremely windy or stormy conditions will sweep in from the southwest. Strong to gale force and blustery south to southeast winds will back southwesterly early Friday morning. This could well lead to some disruption, with some damaging gusts in places, but especially in exposed Atlantic coastal areas. The potentially stormy conditions may clear quickly on Friday morning with winds moderating and mostly dry weather for a time. However, another spell of very heavy rain will push in later on Friday from the south leading possibly to flooding. The rain will become widespread on Friday night and will continue on Saturday with the risk of heavy and possibly thundery downpours. The rain clear to more showery conditions later on Saturday and ease later on Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

High Tide in Galway on Friday is at 7:50am and is a high one - 5.21m.

Fortunately the worst of the winds will have passed by then but it could get messy between 5am and 8am on the Prom and around Flood St.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fortunately the worst of the winds will have passed by then but it could get messy between 5am and 8am on the Prom and around Flood St.

I think the strong winds will be hitting Galway around then and for a number of hours after.

Direction of winds and storm surge could be a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭spookwoman

high tide in tramore is at 8.13am @ 4.27m if wind is coming from the south south west there will be tidal surge waves of 16+ ft. Great fishing weather :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note Oasis1974 read the forum charter before posting here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

What a terrible name for a street, just asking for trouble really. Make sure you park your car on Sandbag St. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Advisory issued by Met Eireann

https://www.met.ie/warnings

Status Yellow - Weather Advisory for Ireland

A spell of wet and very windy, possibly stormy, weather is expected on Thursday night/ Friday morning as a deep depression tracks Northwards to the West of Ireland.
    There is the risk of coastal flooding due to high tides and surge.

Later Friday and continuing into Saturday there is the potential for some high totals of rainfall and flooding due to another area of low pressure and series of weather fronts, with the East and South particularly at risk.
    Issued: Tuesday 09 October 2018 15:00
    Updated: Tuesday 09 October 2018 15:00
    Valid from Thursday 11 October 2018 23:00 to Saturday 13 October 2018 21:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Salthill may be at risk again Thursday/Friday, the prom is closed this evening due to current high tide and wind combination.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=921342541399779&id=676665045867531&fs=1&focus_composer=0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Salthill may be at risk again Thursday/Friday, the prom is closed this evening due to current high tide and wind combination.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=921342541399779&id=676665045867531&fs=1&focus_composer=0

Tides are a bit lower on Friday at least, hopefully won't be too disruptive.

Should get our first look at what the AROME makes of all this by 5pm or so, 12Z is just rolling out. GFS 12Z also underway, lets see what way they're leaning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I think the strong winds will be hitting Galway around then and for a number of hours after.

Direction of winds and storm surge could be a big issue.

The winds look to be Southerly at high tide so it's probably going to impact the Promenade alright. To be fair the council close that road regularly and well in advance for these events so it shouldn't be a danger/surprise to anyone. It will throw up a few stones onto the road etc but we are well used to it. There are always the few cars in the Prom carparks but they are mainly tourists and there should be less of them around now.
    The flood defences around Jury's Inn could be tested though. We'll see.

Galway people are well able for storms at this stage and we have a secret weapon....Teresa!

North western Europe, offshore Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

GFS basically sticking to earlier, the ECM will be telling

gfs-0-66.png?12

Advertisement