Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Education

• 03-10-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi All,

Next year I'm planning to return to education on a full time basis, as a mature student. I recently returned home from working abroad, am currently working full time (Contracted until Christmas), and back living with my retired parents.

In 2014 I completed a Level 6 undergraduate course, and plan to commence a Level 8 undergraduate course in September 2019. As far as I can see, this means I will qualify for Free Fees, as I am taking moving upwards on the National Framework of Qualifications.

My question relates to the other grants/funding I can potentially receive.

If I was to work full time up until next September, I would NOT qualify for the Back to Education Allowance, as one needs to be on a welfare payment of sorts, for at least 9 months prior to returning to education. Right?

Does this also mean I would not qualify for a SUSI Fee Grant for the annual €3000 Student Contribution or a Maintenance Grant for week to week expenses, due to the fact I had been working full time, whilst living at home?

So,

If I work my ass off until next September, I'm only going to receive absolutely no financial aid for my Student Contribution fund, and end up in loads of debt after 4 years. To go with this I would receive no week to week financial aid, so would be dependent on extra hours on part time job which would potentially impact on my grade.

Or

If I see out my contract until Christmas, ride the wave of welfare, boredom, and subsequent depression until September 2019, I would qualify for 4 years’ worth of financial aid, and be remotely debt free.

Surely I cannot be right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DublinGirl1989

Hi there,

First of all well done for making the decision to go back! Where will you be studying? I went back to Maynooth last year!

In regards to the BTEA, you will receive about 160€ a week which is pretty good! I worked until a week before I went back so am not entitled to any help during the year! I work as many hours as I can to scrape by but I am often stressed and tired trying to balance everything plus I don’t earn very much more! But just to make you aware if you get this, you still have to pay the fees yourself; the 3000€ is not covered by the social welfare!

In regards to Susi, you can apply but they will likely make you apply as a dependent and take your parents earnings into account which could push you over the threshold! I would apply to them anyway because you have nothing to lose, maybe speak to the citizens advice before hand to get an idea of where you might stand! I have written a post about my experience with them if you want to take a look!

I hope this somewhat helps and best of luck!

Advertisement