Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

serfboard wrote: »
    I don't actually, but if you think that the 170,000 people that don't live in Galway City are going to get around by train, then you're delusional yourself.

And that's before we get to Thomas The Tank Engine meandering merrily around Mayo ...

I think that Thomas the Tank Engine, if ever it is wandering around Mayo, will be on the back of a truck.

Railways require large numbers of passengers to make them viable. There are not enough potential passengers on the old route to be carried on the proposed route. No traffic generators, no tourist traffic going to Tuam or Athenry, no through trains to Galway because of the single track.

It is all fantasy and political promises that can never be fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Meanwhile this was the scene today at Wellington Bridge at the SE end of the Western Rail Corridor. CIE's final (?) inspection car over the Rosslare Strand/Waterford section - note the usual high standard of care and maintenance. :rolleyes:

64668942_2485302391530018_1290110143089868800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_eui2=AeGuQaqIj_qFC1bpPa4_uQgxGqAlqRcsxvL8RaFJnn8g8uEEv1nHJZVqh5jW_Sijec2B-ujVuAJtrfgMG5XJq01HMKuDoi0e_HnrVR2QMwlELQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c2d93bbcab41698ea46bae493f163b14&oe=5DC232AF

Photo: Daithi Gazeley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's all relative, if you think that private cars/trucks etc. are the future you're delusional.

Alas a lot of people making money on the back of that will fight like rats in a sack to keep that in place for as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I think that Thomas the Tank Engine, if ever it is wandering around Mayo, will be on the back of a truck.

Railways require large numbers of passengers to make them viable. There are not enough potential passengers on the old route to be carried on the proposed route. No traffic generators, no tourist traffic going to Tuam or Athenry, no through trains to Galway because of the single track.

It is all fantasy and political promises that can never be fulfilled.

if we are talking about the line to tuam and beyond, given the line isn't open and there are no proposed timetables available that we know of, there isn't really any basis to state there won't be through trains to galway. historical services won't be a clue to how the line would be operated if it was to reopen.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Meanwhile this was the scene today at Wellington Bridge at the SE end of the Western Rail Corridor. CIE's final (?) inspection car over the Rosslare Strand/Waterford section - note the usual high standard of care and maintenance. :rolleyes:

64668942_2485302391530018_1290110143089868800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_eui2=AeGuQaqIj_qFC1bpPa4_uQgxGqAlqRcsxvL8RaFJnn8g8uEEv1nHJZVqh5jW_Sijec2B-ujVuAJtrfgMG5XJq01HMKuDoi0e_HnrVR2QMwlELQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c2d93bbcab41698ea46bae493f163b14&oe=5DC232AF

Photo: Daithi Gazeley.

Why did this section close?
    Low passenger turnover?

I get lines like Ballybrophy, where per passenger we could send them via Aer Lingus first class nearly for the same price, but what do you think of the chicken and the egg argument? (any of you)

That IE never bothers to put an attractive service in place in the first place, so it gets no patronage, so they close it. It always amazed me that even during the ash cloud thing they only belatedly adjusted the timetables to coincide with ferry arrivals, this example pulls to mind now.
    I think of the shops on board ICRs that are always closed and they never use, they just have a terrible customer service ethos they just don't seem to wanna TRY.

If they are closing Rosslare itself, besides the Bray transfer proposal, which I know some of you hate, but it would lead to more frequency, they don't seem to be EVEN TRYING on this line. Half the trains are uncomfortable commuter sets totally unsuited to this journey meanwhile there are ICRs more suited to Rosslare going through the Phoenix Park Tunnel (why not swap them??). Then it's what every 3 hours? No way thats going to compete with the bus.

I also have to wonder if instead of opening the old line, which in the west seems to be a shambles, it might be better to build a totally new high speed train system on new land to connect the major cities, because even if they did WRC, upgrade Cork, upgrade Belfast the journey times are just not impressive at all, and if the fate of the planet is at stake here with PT solutions should we not be thinking big? Relying on 19th century infrastructure where there are huge speed restrictions just seems like a waste of money.
    The single tracking of so much of the network (which horrified me when I looked at a map recently, to see how MUCH of the IE network is single track) also just SCREAMS "don't bother!!!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Relying on 19th century infrastructure where there are huge speed restrictions just seems like a waste of money.
    Correct. Which is why you have a train service between Limerick and Galway that takes two hours, whereas the alternative public transport option (AKA a bus) takes an hour and twenty minutes - or an hour and thirty five minutes if it stops at Shannon Airport, which the train never will.

Correct. Which is why you have a train service between Limerick and Galway that takes two hours, whereas the alternative public transport option (AKA a bus) takes an hour and twenty minutes - or an hour and thirty five minutes if it stops at Shannon Airport, which the train never will.

All buses? All traffic conditions? Sure why would anyone drive between Galway and Limerick then?

All buses? All traffic conditions? Sure why would anyone drive between Galway and Limerick then?

Given that any train is more limited in journey times, frequency, schedule flexibility etc, I'm not sure you should be banging that drum.

DaCor wrote: »
    Given that any train is more limited in journey times, frequency, schedule flexibility etc, I'm not sure you should be banging that drum.
    Good examples of what you're talking about - if I want to go to Knock, Shannon or Dublin Airports, I can get buses (64, X51, X20/Citylink/GoBus) that will take me right to the front door. I'd be a while waiting for a train.

Similarly, the X51 brings students (heavy users of public transport) directly to and from GMIT, LIT and Limerick University - again demonstrating the flexibility that makes them so useful and popular, and that's before we even talk about scheduling and costs.

But it’s all about knocking the train as a form of transport. Not about bicycles, not really. I would remain very surprised if any bus outside the small hours would do city centre to city centre in one hour and twenty minutes, considering the almighty mess Galway’s traffic is in. Raising capacity on the railway would have a fraction of the land take for a motorway. Constructing the city bypass will just compound that even further. I’ll have a European model over an American model for the West every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

westtip wrote: »
    I think the penny has well and truly dropped. It's called electric cars.

I won't be getting an overpriced glorified milk float anytime soon.

The wrong horse is being backed. But hey, this is Ireland. Little America.
    Neither electric cars nor driverless cars will solve our problems. They take up as much space as fossil-powered vehicles. Electric cars are already triggering a series of environmental disasters, due to the rush for lithium, cobalt and nickel required to make their batteries. Driverless cars are likely to exacerbate congestion and accelerate climate breakdown, because of the energy demands of the data centres required to control them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/20/cars-cities-land-rover-pollution-urban-spaces

Of the top ten cars sold in Norway this year, nine are electric and the other one is a plug-in-hybrid.

Obviously the Norwegians are really stupid to be driving "glorified milk floats". :rolleyes:

Some milk float!

And this is a street car, only modification is the traction control is switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

But it’s all about knocking the train as a form of transport. Not about bicycles, not really. I would remain very surprised if any bus outside the small hours would do city centre to city centre in one hour and twenty minutes, considering the almighty mess Galway’s traffic is in. Raising capacity on the railway would have a fraction of the land take for a motorway. Constructing the city bypass will just compound that even further. I’ll have a European model over an American model for the West every time.

I can't speak for the others, bit I've no agenda to talk down the train option. I love rail transport. I have to go to Belfast a lot and you'd have to pay ME to get a bus (though in July/August I'll have to...why? to update old rail lines!). I find the train more comfy, and on the Dub-Belfast line it's faster than the bus by nearly an hour.

But there are clearly routes (often stupid single track routes) where the reverse is true AND when you combine that with old infrastructure and less frequency it does show there is something to think about.

I think we need proper regional balance in this country, real balance not that decentralization shi1te we had back in the day which diluted to every micky mouse town , but a strategy that builds up the big cities where growth is concentrated in Galway, Limerick and Cork as much as possible instead of ever expanding Dublin.

I think rail can play a key role in that, it always made sense to me we should do WRC, as a concept. I found it crazy that the network in the North is not connected to the west side of the island, Sligo and Derry for example, which are so close but no rail line.

But the more I look into it...it just looks like a waste of money. Maybe it could be done with a very good regional balance policy that encouraged DENSITY in those areas on the west coast but here is where that runs slam into a brick wall as a concept...population.

Problem #1: In order for rail to be lets say half as active on the WRC as it is on the East, or even 1/3, those cities would need more people (hence a regional balance policy) and more density. But I see it in my political circles and policy work all the time, all these culchies want one off housing! They won't live in tall apartment buildings in the cities they all want a big garden in the exurbs with 2 cars and I don't mean farmers here. That kinda lifestyle is totally incompatible with a population relying on rail transport.

Problem #2: We of course have plenty of south dublin suburbanites and exurbanites who wanna live in houses separated from the city, and we get them to use the DART and Luas, even in outlying areas, so why can't we do this on the WRC? Well heres the thing, why do we get the D4 yuppies to use PT? Apart from saving petrol? It's because it's FAST. You have a Luas coming every 4-7 minutes at rush hour SPEEDING you to work and back, so fast you don't mind standing (unless it's cross city Luas which a 90 year old woman could out-sprint breathing from her oxygen tank...). Now with all the single track and speed restrictions and whatnot...you will never get a clockface timetable like the Luas or even the DART or Commuter network. You won't even get something like the old dart timetable of every 15 min, hell the SUNDAY timetable of every half our!

I know WRC is more an intercity thing than a commuter thing but this would be part of it and we'eve seen with the bus issue that it's not competative on intercity either with the bus, and now we see with commuter...so what's left?

Problem #3: Forgive my ignorance growing up on the south Dub coast but my mouth actually opened looking at a vid of an inspection train doing a run on the WRC....there was f---g NOTHING ANYWHERE AROUND FOR MILES AND MILES sometimes one off house or SHACK the place looked DESERTED there was f---g nobody there, and were talking like along the whole line!!

If we built the whole thing is anyone gonna use it??

IMO a WRC with single tracking is IMMEDIATELY a waste of time, right away if you single track any large portion of it you may as well take the pile of euros and light them on fire. Unless it was double tracked, with a proper regional planning policy done in phases it won't work.

Look Im with you in concept, I love rail, and as the PR-nightmare "oh no those douchebags are on our side??" Extinction Rebellion heads never stop reminding us, we have a climate emergency and we need a proper radical PT strategy, but without proper regional planning AND an attitude shift in Irish culture about how we wanna live (stop being afraid of apts and cities and let the garden thing go) it's useless. Even then old style tracks...we'd nearly be better using a new system with new type of tracks new routes and new trains than this old skool crap.

Indeed. I agree with most of what you say. I’ve always argued for greater planning densities in the rail connected towns - both for sustainable urban renewal and to break the itch/scratch cycle of low rural density and car dependence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Of the top ten cars sold in Norway this year, nine are electric and the other one is a plug-in-hybrid.

Obviously the Norwegians are really stupid to be driving "glorified milk floats". :rolleyes:

Unaffordable for me and many others here. Can't afford a brand new car of any kind, and why would I want to buy a second hand electric with a half clapped out battery, moreso out in the sticks? Disingenuous bringing up Norwegians who can crap money in comparison, enough of that however back OT.

Unaffordable for me and many others here. Can't afford a brand new car of any kind, and why would I want to buy a second hand electric with a half clapped out battery, moreso out in the sticks? Disingenuous bringing up Norwegians who can crap money in comparison, enough of that however back OT.
    OK, so now that you've realised that it's ridiculous to describe electric cars as "glorified milk floats", the issue becomes price.

OK, so now that you've realised that it's ridiculous to describe electric cars as "glorified milk floats", the issue becomes price.

Which is falling year on year

The price of battery components is dropping while capacities are increasing

It's just about at the sweet spot for many

But none of this has anything to do with the thread topic

Can I suggest that further discussion on ev's be done on the eV forum https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1634

They could always run battery trains over the route. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

We are talking about a WRC - this is pointless until something is done with the athenry to galway track eg dual track.

The train drives right by Doughiska (very near parkmore - run a bus from the "new" stop to parkmore) and Renmore with no potential to stop. The Oranmore train stop is not in Oranmore

There is no reason not to do this first?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

JJJackal wrote: »
    We are talking about a WRC - this is pointless until something is done with the athenry to galway track eg dual track.

The train drives right by Doughiska (very near parkmore - run a bus from the "new" stop to parkmore) and Renmore with no potential to stop. The Oranmore train stop is not in Oranmore

There is no reason not to do this first?

Personally speaking, there's a lot of tracks in Ireland that I think should be dual tracked before we take a look at projects like WRC. Dual tracking existing lines would provide a much bigger boost to the regions than WRC will over the next few decades, and would actually improve the business case for WRC by the time it's all said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

CatInABox wrote: »
    Personally speaking, there's a lot of tracks in Ireland that I think should be dual tracked before we take a look at projects like WRC. Dual tracking existing lines would provide a much bigger boost to the regions than WRC will over the next few decades, and would actually improve the business case for WRC by the time it's all said and done.

I personally dont understand why Galway doesn't have a GART (galway DART) -
    on the existing train line from Ballinasloe and Gort to Galway. The line is there most of the stations are built. You would think if there was a regular service eg every 15 minutes between 7 and 9 every 30 min from 9 - 5 every 15 from 5-7 and every 30 until 9 that it could be a success

New stops at doughiska, renmore... as well as double track would be essential. You would also imagine that this would not be the most expensive project we could undertake?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Morning Ireland doing a quick piece on this now.

Speaking to each side, railway vs greenway campaigns and local TDs. Iarnroid eireann are carrying out a review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Speaking to each side, railway vs greenway campaigns and local TDs. Iarnroid eireann are carrying out a review.

90-100 million for Athenry-Claremorris rail?. Given that all new rail projects must include electrification, is this really possible? Lord, Del, End of...you guys know this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Muckyboots wrote: »
    90-100 million for Athenry-Claremorris rail?. Given that all new rail projects must include electrification, is this really possible? Lord, Del, End of...you guys know this stuff.

it will depend on things like the length of the line, condition of bridges/drainage etc.i haven't heard anything that says all new rail projects must include electrification. electrification would add extra costs to reinstatement however it might force electrification of the galway main line so perhapse on that score it may not be a bad thing.
    the more likely outcome if the line is reinstated is battery trains, at least later on as we still have a youngish fleet of diesel trains.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

Just wondering what the general consensus was on who was making the better argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

CatInABox wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with single track lines with a low density service. Add in Dynamic loops and proper modern train control so that trains can cross each other without delay and your done.

It's not rocket science and could be done on any line, even existing two track lines which have one train per hour in each direction.

OK so twin track would be easier and better , but single track shouldn't be a problem. What's needed is investment.

Isambard wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with single track lines with a low density service. Add in Dynamic loops and proper modern train control so that trains can cross each other without delay and your done.

They can't manage that on the main Galway to Dublin line and you are looking for it on a line between Athenry and Tuam, jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

They can't manage that on the main Galway to Dublin line and you are looking for it on a line between Athenry and Tuam, jesus

i didn't say that...I was referring to all single lines.

Advertisement