Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Ironman in cork next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sweet
    I'm all in for my first IM. Green M Dot tattoo for me.
    Are you allowed use mountain bikes in IM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sweet

Will there be rest floats on the swim? Can I use my swim buoy?

Seriously though, the only appeal to me of this race is the date. An early year IM would be nice.

Totally agree on the Hardman being a much better choice, and I say that having done it 4 times

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

That would be correct. Just out of curiosity, I wonder do IM have copyright over calling a 140.6 race an IM race? I know that Hardman got legal grief in the early days for using the term IM in their race description.

I was at the launch of the Youghal IM last Friday and they asked how many people in the room had done an IM (full disctance) Having done the Hardman, I thought it was not right to stand up as I had not done an IM.

Just wondering as you were at the launch whether they mentioned the roads for cycling. Some bad patches i.e. East Ferry and descent to Tallow being bad enough for cycling. Are they going to patch / resurface / nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

nok2008 wrote: »
    Just wondering as you were at the launch whether they mentioned the roads for cycling. Some bad patches i.e. East Ferry and descent to Tallow being bad enough for cycling. Are they going to patch / resurface / nothing

I don't think it goes to Tallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

If I was ever inclined to do an IM on Irish soil I would probably do Hardman instead.

I wonder would you have said that 5 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭thehairygrape

If I was ever inclined to do an IM on Irish soil I would probably do Hardman instead.

Never at a Hardman, but I’d say it’s difficult to beat the atmosphere at an Ironman. Usually, organization unreal and the feeling at the finish line is just incredible. Not sure if I’d do one in Ireland though. Nice to have the water at least a bit warm for the swim. No guarantee of that in Ireland even in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Then it wouldn't be an IM. It would be an IM distance race.

wtf ... have they brainwashed you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Never at a Hardman, but I’d say it’s difficult to beat the atmosphere at an Ironman. Usually, organization unreal and the feeling at the finish line is just incredible. Not sure if I’d do one in Ireland though. Nice to have the water at least a bit warm for the swim. No guarantee of that in Ireland even in June.

i guess you have to decide if you want to be a draftman or an ironman

unfortunatley in the branded race you are most likely to become a draft man ( not a bad thing just a point and the fact that if 1000 people come out of the water in 10 min or so, what arethe chances you riding cleean)

the good thing there is a choice and everybody can have what they want .

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭thehairygrape

peter kern wrote: »
    i guess you have to decide if you want to be a draftman or an ironman

unfortunatley in the branded race you are most likely to become a draft man ( not a bad thing just a point and the fact that if 1000 people come out of the water in 10 min or so, what arethe chances you riding cleean)

the good thing there is a choice and everybody can have what they want .

True. Totally agree. Choice is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Have all the posts from Ironman Dublin just been copy and pasted here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Shedite27 wrote: »

Only half of them were pasted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Shedite27 wrote:

Must be 'double' posts

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭reidman

Sweet

Yes you are - there were a few lunatics in recent IM riding fat bikes and also one huge muscular lad riding an orange chopper! They made the cutoff too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

reidman wrote: »
    Yes you are - there were a few lunatics in recent IM riding fat bikes and also one huge muscular lad riding an orange chopper! They made the cutoff too

Its hard to read Shotguns sarcasm through test alright... He was missing the :pac: or pink colour I believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

just to point out, for those that couldn't detect shotguns sarcasm, it would be far from his first ironman and he's an ex mod around these parts so i'd take his post as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

nok2008 wrote: »

Sorry for the late reply, I was not on here for a few days. While the CEO for Cork City Council was there and talking up Cork etc and what the event would bring to the County and how the Council were committed to support the event, the subject of roads and quality of road surfaces never came up at any stage. I would imagine they will have to repair any thing that represents a danger the race entrants but then I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Pricing is as follows, Tier 1 495, tier 2 515, tier 3 535 and tier 4 555. I'm already doing IM Barcelona this year and hadn't planned on doing Youghal but the bike route literally passes my house, so it's too local not to do. For anyone not willing to fork out the full payment up front, you can do 3 instalments but that works out expensive because they charge an admin fee on each payment. Better off putting it on the credit card as it would be cheaper over the three months if you intend spreading the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kenn0

Got one. :)

Hi all

I am looking for a priority entry into the 2019 IRONMAN Ireland, Cork. If anybody who is racing Dun Laoghaire and not racing in Cork next year could pass it on please.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

kenn0 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am looking for a priority entry into the 2019 IRONMAN Ireland, Cork. If anybody who is racing Dun Laoghaire and not racing in Cork next year could pass it on please.

Thanks

Let me know if you still need it.

update: kenn0 already used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dong

Anyone else for a priority entry for Cork that they would be willing to give me? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is priority entry significantly cheaper or are people actually worried there'll be a mad rush for entries and they'll miss out? :confused:

Is priority entry significantly cheaper or are people actually worried there'll be a mad rush for entries and they'll miss out? :confused:
    No its not. Pricing is tiered and it moves to the next tier once one moves out. To be fair to ironman, they're very good at marketing but don't worry there will be plenty of entries available at the normal date. I do expect them to sell quickly enough because there is a huge amount of interest closer to cork in it. However even at that, it would take time for the various tiers to sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Would also be interested in a priority entry link if anyone has one spare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Drove this section of the bike course yesterday (in red just after 70 km)
    Needless to say it's pot hole ridden and dangerous as it is.
    It would definitely need to be resurfaced as it's covered twice.
    I guess the reason the 'subject to alterations' is included on the map is to allow them change the course because it's so bad as is and they might not get the go ahead to resurface.

The course could potentially cut off the East Ferry section to allow the course to continue into (and out of) Tallow back down to Youghal on regional roads instead.

IM Course.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

valoren wrote: »
    Drove this section of the bike course yesterday (in red just after 70 km)
    Needless to say it's pot hole ridden and dangerous as it is.
    It would definitely need to be resurfaced as it's covered twice.
    I guess the reason the 'subject to alterations' is included on the map is to allow them change the course because it's so bad as is and they might not get the go ahead to resurface.

The course could potentially cut off the East Ferry section to allow the course to continue into (and out of) Tallow back down to Youghal on regional roads instead.

IM Course.PNG

I guess they are trying to avoid going into Waterford as it would mean getting another council involved and they may not get the support due to it being Cork Ironman. The Tallow to Youghal road would be a good one to use, up and down and a couple of nice straights as well.
    Of course the event will benefit Waterford as well since I'm sure many people would stay that side of Youghal as well.

Has anyone with a tri ireland licence got a priority link? I only ordered my tri licence last week so haven't received my link yet. I'd say I just wasnt on the distribution list yet

Has anyone with a tri ireland licence got a priority link? I only ordered my tri licence last week so haven't received my link yet. I'd say I just wasnt on the distribution list yet

Got sorted in the end. That 8% fee puts a sting in the tail!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

jnk883 wrote: »
    I guess they are trying to avoid going into Waterford as it would mean getting another council involved and they may not get the support due to it being Cork Ironman. The Tallow to Youghal road would be a good one to use, up and down and a couple of nice straights as well.
    Of course the event will benefit Waterford as well since I'm sure many people would stay that side of Youghal as well.

Cork Council were adamant at the launch that they did not want to cross the "border" into Waterford with this event but they did expect that Co. Waterford might benefit with accommodation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Cork Council were adamant at the launch that they did not want to cross the "border" into Waterford with this event but they did expect that Co. Waterford might benefit with accommodation etc.

As well off - Galway CO CO were on board with Challenge Galway a few years ago but Clare wouldn't go along with as they saw no benefit to it. Closed roads for the Galway section and open roads for the Clare section :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Tier1 entries already sold out....

Advertisement