Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby League World Cup 2017 (27th Oct. to 2nd Dec.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

iDave wrote: »
    Not a league fan but finding it impossible to find any match report on any Irish media. Very poor coverage for an Ireland team competing at a world cup.
    But websites like the42 will be all over some irrelevant NFL story as soon as it breaks. Priorities like.

I agree, it's a shame but fair play to Rte online, they have been reporting on Ireland. League gets woefully under reported in England too outside of the North.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Just the 72 points to 6 in the end then in the Fiji Wales game.

Danny Brough and a couple of other Scotland players are being sent home. They were too drunk to be allowed to fly.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/05/rugby-league-world-cup-scotland-players-sent-home-drunk-flight

Pretty crap from him imo.

In other news
    Shame the way the tournament is structured means Ireland have no chance of qualifying for quarters now (let's be honest, the USA couldn't win a raffle in PNG) and Scotland just need to beat Samoa (which they won't) to qualify.

IMG_20171106_060009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like New Zealand vs Tonga and Wales vs Ireland will be the most competitive games this weekend. Hope to see the Irish team finish on a high with a solid victory. That would make this a positive tournament.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

Looks like New Zealand vs Tonga and Wales vs Ireland will be the most competitive games this weekend. Hope to see the Irish team finish on a high with a solid victory. That would make this a positive tournament.

Kiwis v Tonga should be very close, shame its on so early. Paddy Power have New Zealand heavy, heavy favourites 1/4. Tonga 13/5. Think Kiwis probably will win but I'd definitely have a couple of euro on Tonga at that price, I think they are way off with their odds.

I'd hope if Ireland play anywhere near like they did the first two games they'd have too much for Wales. Again, I think Paddy Power is a mile off though. Wales 14/1 and Ireland 1/50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cracker this one. Come on tongA

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

They have done it. Amazing match.

Knew I should have had money on them, great win for Tonga.

Some effort by Scotland, great performance with understrength team, shame they couldn't hang on for the win. Samoa didn't win a game and get through to the quarterfinals. Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Can some explain how its decided who and how u get through to the quarter finals.not winning a game or in scotlands case losing both your opening games by 50 odd points but still have a chance to go through seems mad

Can some explain how its decided who and how u get through to the quarter finals.not winning a game or in scotlands case losing both your opening games by 50 odd points but still have a chance to go through seems mad

Yeah, an anomaly alright. They tried to weight the groups so if you were in a group with one of the usual suspects (Aus/NZ/England) you still had a chance to qualify if you lost those games. Every world cup they try something different, never seems to quite work. Ireland were unlucky in the group they ended up in this year. Ideally, as they have done before, they'd put the "big" teams in separate groups and 2 or more would go through from each group (usually meaning Aus etc plus at least 1 smaller team). The problem with that was mismatches and viewing figures were poor as a result.

They definitely need to look again next time, particularly when Tonga are now a force.

Yeah, an anomaly alright. They tried to weight the groups so if you were in a group with one of the usual suspects (Aus/NZ/England) you still had a chance to qualify if you lost those games. Every world cup they try something different, never seems to quite work. Ireland were unlucky in the group they ended up in this year.

They definitely need to look again next time, particularly when Tonga are now a force.

Thats another thing I find mad.cant think of his name but hes one on the top players in the nrl.think he has played for new Zealand before but because he wasn't name in there squad he can play for tonga.seems mad that up until 6 weeks before a world cup your happy enough to play for a national team u dont get named and then swap to play for another.and ppl think project players in union are bad

Thats another thing I find mad.cant think of his name but hes one on the top players in the nrl.think he has played for new Zealand before but because he wasn't name in there squad he can play for tonga.seems mad that up until 6 weeks before a world cup your happy enough to play for a national team u dont get named and then swap to play for another.and ppl think project players in union are bad

Players who were named in squads actually moved, not just those not selected. Several Tonga players were chosen to play for NZ and Australia but all decided to go with Tonga.

International Rugby League is still very much a work in progress, the NRL aren't the least bit supportive (and that's where the money is). As a result you get fudges like weird world cup groups, or players barely knowing where a country is that they choose to play for (this actually isn't as bad this WC).

The criteria for allegiance should definitely be firmed up so if you want to change country there's a qualification period. But it's all down to trying to make the game competitive for the smaller nations.

Players who were named in squads actually moved, not just those not selected. Several Tonga players were chosen to play for NZ and Australia but all decided to go with Tonga.

International Rugby League is still very much a work in progress, the NRL aren't the least bit supportive (and that's where the money is).

The criteria for allegiance should definitely be firmed up so if you want to change country there's a qualification period. But it's all down to trying to make the game competitive for the smaller nations.

Ah ok I get u like to watch league only get to watch the odd game on the bbc which is usually the challenge cup final.Ireland should look and see if they can get a team playing in England like the toronto wolfpack.I know money will probably be an issue there though.hope Ireland can do a job on wales on sunday

Ah ok I get u like to watch league only get to watch the odd game on the bbc which is usually the challenge cup final.Ireland should look and see if they can get a team playing in England like the toronto wolfpack.I know money will probably be an issue there though.hope Ireland can do a job on wales on sunday

Yeah, unfortunately don't think we have a crazy millionaire willing to put in the money here, it would be fantastic though. There's talk of a New York team getting off the ground too, as well as a couple of well supported French teams.

Fingers crossed Ireland get the result their tournament has deserved, they have been great, if they could reduce the handling errors and keep the team together they'd be a match for most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

If you think that's bad, in the Rugby Union World Cup a good many years ago a guy played for Morocco in the Africa qualifiers and when they failed to qualify he ended up playing for France in the finals the same year.
    The qualification rules have become far too loose in most sports. If the trend continues regional and national allegiances will become meaningless and gates will suffer. Remember in school how two captains picked two teams? Who cares whether Paddy's team or Freddie's team wins? Or maybe it will be AIB v. Diageo!

Incredible game between New Zealand and Tonga, especially the second half. A great advert for the game.

The match between NZ and Fiji looks like it could be another cracker.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Good way for Ireland to finish the tournament, a easy enough win over Wales, a successful World Cup for them despite missing out on quarter finals (because of structure of the wc).

England comfortable against France so far.

Ya nice win pretty silly that a it looks like Lebanon who won one group game will go through to quarter s and ireland who won two wont.very odd way the set out who goes through

• Advertisement

England have to face PNG now, though not in Port Moresby, so atmosphere hopefully won't be as big a factor. Then probably Tonga, so it's a tough route if they want to get to the final. I'd actually fancy Tonga to spring another upset against England, it'll be interesting to see the odds (presuming they both get to semis)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

tornanount organisers wanted the island teams in the qfs.job done.not interested in ireland ,wales and scotland...

sadly no interest in league in ireland

Good way to finish the tournament for Ireland. It's been a positive tournament overall and hopefully it will have made some new fans of the game over here.

charkee wrote: »

sadly no interest in league in ireland

Pretty accurate unfortunately, there are people who enjoy the game here, but I agree, interest is limited to say the least. It's a shame because it's a really accessible sport with simple rules to follow.

IMG_20171114_092122.jpg

Pretty good picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

Lebanon qualify on 3 pts??

union has stole a lot of leagues clothes in recent years

I prefer league ,but its like talking to the wall with an Irish rugby union fan .

one thing that puzzled me about league is the team that scores the try gets the ball back from ko. On a one sided game ,the losing team have no chance to get going.

I recall super league reversed the ko receiver for a season years ago ,but went back to the traditional.

charkee wrote: »
    Lebanon qualify on 3 pts??

union has stole a lot of leagues clothes in recent years

I prefer league ,but its like talking to the wall with an Irish rugby union fan .

one thing that puzzled me about league is the team that scores the try gets the ball back from ko. On a one sided game ,the losing team have no chance to get going.

I recall super league reversed the ko receiver for a season years ago ,but went back to the traditional.

Some people are dismissive of Rugby League here, same in large part's of the UK too though, think expansion is helping, and spreading the word about the game. Maybe people will be persuaded!

Lebanon had Australia, England and France. So, really it came to down to their game with France.

I think there's a case for not getting the ball back after penalty or drop goal, it'd encourage people to go for the try even more.

Australia struggling in their quarter final then. Scoreline is I'm sure, as everyone would have predicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Game on in Christchurch 22-16 ht tonga , Lebanon playing v well, great contest

Advertisement