Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would anyone else be interested in...

• 27-02-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭

I'm always intrigued in how others interpret an image and how they process it based on that interpretation. When someone else edits one of your images it can highlight something you missed and or ignored. The ability to see various takes on the same image would allow us to compare our own vision more completely with others.

Seeing other peoples edits of the same RAW file could and should lead to some interesting discussion of editing and composition techniques, hopefully to give us all something new to think about.

I assume that the majority of the resulting images would be vary similar to each other as we photographers tend to work to a set of "rules" but there will inevitably be the occasion when someone edits the RAW file in a way that you'll find interesting.

I suppose it could be turned into a kind of a competition thread but for me the learning is the more important aspect of the exercise.

Is there merit in the idea? Would anyone else be interested in trying it on a semi-regular basis? I've not thought about how the original RAW would be shared but I'm sure there is a convenient Dropbox or similar that we could utilise.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

Tried this out about 2 years ago and we used dropbox to share the original raw file. It was fun while it lasted.
    Here's a link to one of my raw files , if any one wants to take a stab at it they're welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80lzphypltu8xri/_MG_8746.CR2?dl=0

This is my version.

32971874512_dd6e9793d5_n.jpg

It would be interesting to see what results others can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Was that here? Damn my brain, I either missed it or forgot it.
    "Senior moments with John" as the song goes in my house at times like this.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prusselstown

My humble effort

http://imgur.com/a/xkMNd

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Had a go, but nothing amazing.

33059448711_3794558948_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Slighgtly OT but ....Loki, where was that taken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Slighgtly OT but ....Loki, where was that taken?

Id say its Mizen Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Donal55 wrote: »
    Id say its Mizen Head.

Doh!
    Its the Bailey Lighthouse. It says it on the link.

Yeah, it's the Bailey lighthouse in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

32499697034_6ef1e2c633_c.jpg

A quick edit - CR adjustments and a quick trip into PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GypsyBiker

Here's my effort.
    33199493932_f229a37c07_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I think this looks pretty "natural" for a cloud Irish day.
    Probably not what I'd do with it if it was my image. I tend to like higher contrast, but there's already a significantly high contrast image. :)

411760.jpg

But the idea is to do what you want with it, go mad with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Well, then maybe I'll go mad another day. I was a bit pressed for time today! :)

Question: Is the RAW format on the camera that was shot in actually 24-bit? I wasn't given any option in camera raw to go to any deeper bit-depth. (My cameras have been 12-bit per channel [36 bit] and 14 bit per channel [42 bit]) so I'm thinking either that particular raw format is only 8-bit per channel, or the camera raw importer in Photoshop CS <whatever-the-last-one-you-can-buy-instead-of-subscribe-to> has available doesn't handle more than 8/24-bit in that format.
    Loki98 wrote: »
    But the idea is to do what you want with it, go mad with it.

Hi Heebie, I have to plead ignorance here. It's a copy of the original raw file, I haven't a clue about the bits depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hutman

33825256335_f4405c53da_c.jpg_MG_8746 by hutman ****, on Flickr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

414112.jpg

Advertisement