Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

The Davis is on my wish list...maybe some day... dreams of open spaces away from buildings, concrete and a Davis plonked in pride of place, ... lol

My back garden has its own weather system, so not sure it would be worth the spondules just now. The little Maplin station that I have will have to do. Just got a replacement part for it as my neighbours football did a number on the wind direction meter. So anyone who invests, enjoy and welcome to weather watchers united ...suggested motto.... 'no lampost will go unwatched'... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Apart from Argus stuff, is there a shop in Dublin where I can go in and buy a weather station. I have a bios weather station, got it in Canada in Rona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Kippure wrote: »
    Apart from Argus stuff, is there a shop in Dublin where I can go in and buy a weather station. I have a bios weather station, got it in Canada in Rona.

Maplin stock a range of weather stations in their shops
    You can check out the range online first and see if they have anything you're interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Lumi wrote: »
    Maplin stock a range of weather stations in their shops
    You can check out the range online first and see if they have anything you're interested in.

Thanks buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Can anyone advise on the differences between these three models in Maplins -

n96gy - €85 in the shop, £59 online - was €140/£99

n96fy - €130 in the shop, £99 online

n25fr - €60 in the shop but no stock, £39 online - was €132/£59 - looks like the €132 price is a bit makey-uppey when compared to the £59

I've looked at them online and to be honest the details all look pretty similar to me. Having said that, I am new to the area so I may not pick up something the rest of you would see straight away.

I presume the main variables would be -
    1) number of instruments - but I assume that temperature, pressure, wind direction & strength, rainfall should cover things
    2) quality of the 'back end' - since I plan on hooking this up to weewx I don't think I'm going to be using the display that comes with the stations
    3) build quality
    4) connection - as far as I can see they are all wireless systems so there's no stringing cable all over the place between the instruments & the console.

I'm not normally a big fan of Maplins, but by all accounts on the forum here these devices are actually pretty good for the price point. I'm not on for spending a couple of hundred € just yet, so I'm happy to go with a trade off between dosh & performance for the moment.

Can anyone advise whether any of these are significantly better than the others or whether I should just aim for the lowest price one for the moment.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I use the n96fy and have had no problems with it apart from finding a suitable location to mount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Code: N96FY should have a solar sensor rechargeable unit, but seemingly it does not. W-8681 for £100

I suspect a price anomaly. I bought one a few years ago for €200 from Maplin and I had paid double for it. I don't see any difference between these, but I can't see their actual code numbers

You'll only know by looking at the back of the unit where it will have W-8681 WH1081 and as, that will indicate exactly what the unit is.

Apart from the colour, the only difference between the two zagmund is that the N96GY has a radio synchronised clock, the N96FY does not and has to be set manually.
    I'd recommend you go for the cheaper N96GY, is actually slightly better

Thanks for all the info folks. And is it still the case that the Maplins devices are as good as others for an intro to weather recording? Or is there something else around this sort of price point that should be considered?

Thanks,

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info folks. And is it still the case that the Maplins devices are as good as others for an intro to weather recording? Or is there something else around this sort of price point that should be considered?

Thanks,

z

The N96GY is a great little starter station- there's nothing really to match it in that price bracket. There are some issues with the sensors but you can easily modify the wind vane and shielding to give more accurate readings
    You should also note that the picture on the Maplin site is a little misleading - you will be mounting the anemometer seperate to the rain gauge etc
    If also recommend that you download and use the free Cumulus software rather than the supplied Easyweather software
    If you need any help/advice with the setup let me know :)

• Advertisement

Lumi wrote: »
    If also recommend that you download and use the free Cumulus software rather than the supplied Easyweather software :)

For station set up and calibration in due course and to erase the memory, Easy Weather may still be required. Cumulus is great day to day monitoring software.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Red Nissan wrote: »
    For station set up and calibration in due course and to erase the memory, Easy Weather may still be required. Cumulus is great day to day monitoring software.

FYP :pac:

Cumulus can calibrate FineWeather stations no problem. :)

Memory erasing is actually not really necessary - if memory's full, the newest data will overwrite the oldest. But can be done directly on unit's display - touch, then touch and hold memory icon.

=======================

Solar charger equipped version on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/330475014848

Competitive price I'd say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Want to change my setup from batteries to either solar or direct power, Sick of climbing up to change batteries and it always seems to be just as the weather is getting interesting.
    Anyone know where i could find a suitable part.
    I have the maplin N96FY.

joujoujou wrote: »
    FYP :pac: Cumulus can calibrate FineWeather stations no problem. :)

Can Culumus set the pressure on the unit so it will display the same [correct] reading if another weather monitoring programme is used?

Any weather software can calibrate the readings, I was unable recently to find where Cumulus would set the actual monitor. I'd be interested to test this, thanks.

If I set the mean and relative pressure with Easy Weather then Culumus and Weather Display will show the same pressure readings.

Quick question - what's the guidance for the position of the wind thing? I have a flag pole which seems like a good place to mount it (clear of buildings, etc . . .) but would that be overkill or otherwise a bad idea? Assuming I could securely mount it, if I stuck it up there with a solar unit I should never have to touch it hopefully. It might breach protocol (tricolour, etc . . .) but it would be out of the way for sure.

Also, since there's only one solar unit, I take it that all the elements have to be physically close to it so they can be wired - correct?

z

Quick question - what's the guidance for the position of the wind thing? I have a flag pole which seems like a good place to mount it (clear of buildings, etc . . .) but would that be overkill or otherwise a bad idea? Assuming I could securely mount it, if I stuck it up there with a solar unit I should never have to touch it hopefully. It might breach protocol (tricolour, etc . . .) but it would be out of the way for sure.

Also, since there's only one solar unit, I take it that all the elements have to be physically close to it so they can be wired - correct?

z

A flag pole might be OK ~ thoughts; the swaying pole may activate the rocker tipping buckets for rain assessment. The flag might wrap around the instruments and foul on them.

The WS comes with a generous amount of phone line cable, my station has the anemometer and wind vane on a ten foot pole and the sensor unit and rain collector nearer the ground.

The unit requires more maintenance than just batteries, the tipping bucket is an attractive habitat for spiders and I've found a good spray of silicone seems to deter them as well as keeping the tipping bucket and swivel in tip top shape.

Have fun.

[imo the whole caboodle is not accurate enough to warrant precise positioning]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Can anyone advise on the differences between these three models in Maplins -

n96gy - €85 in the shop, £59 online - was €140/£99

n96fy - €130 in the shop, £99 online

n25fr - €60 in the shop but no stock, £39 online - was €132/£59 - looks like the €132 price is a bit makey-uppey when compared to the £59

I've looked at them online and to be honest the details all look pretty similar to me. Having said that, I am new to the area so I may not pick up something the rest of you would see straight away.

I presume the main variables would be -
    1) number of instruments - but I assume that temperature, pressure, wind direction & strength, rainfall should cover things
    2) quality of the 'back end' - since I plan on hooking this up to weewx I don't think I'm going to be using the display that comes with the stations
    3) build quality
    4) connection - as far as I can see they are all wireless systems so there's no stringing cable all over the place between the instruments & the console.

I'm not normally a big fan of Maplins, but by all accounts on the forum here these devices are actually pretty good for the price point. I'm not on for spending a couple of hundred € just yet, so I'm happy to go with a trade off between dosh & performance for the moment.

Can anyone advise whether any of these are significantly better than the others or whether I should just aim for the lowest price one for the moment.

z

I have either the first or second one, they look the same to me..
    Great little station.... we have it running 3 years without a problem bar change of batteries..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Can Culumus set the pressure on the unit so it will display the same [correct] reading if another weather monitoring programme is used?

Any weather software can calibrate the readings, I was unable recently to find where Cumulus would set the actual monitor. I'd be interested to test this, thanks.

If I set the mean and relative pressure with Easy Weather then Culumus and Weather Display will show the same pressure readings.
    I've set my unit to show absolute pressure (instead of MSLP) and didn't have to correct it ever after. Had to recalibrate what Cumulus recorded once or twice - it's data showed weird figures when Cumulus has been accidentally started twice at the same time.
    http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Selecting_a_Weather_Station_sensor_site

z

Correct, but... you can use ordinary telephone extension cable no problem. My setup is - wind gauges on top of the roof -- 25m phone cable -- rest of sensors ~1.5m above the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how big is the basic 96 outdoor unit.

would it be possible to mount it on top of bolier shed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I am vaguely considering setting up a home weather station.

Any suggestions as to where to start?
    Ideally, I'd like something that's not dependent on Windows applications either as we've a Mac household here.

I'd just like to know where to start really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

What sort of budget do you have - that's the first question really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well, I suppose I don't really want to go overboard but I'm not even sure what the ballpark kind of minimum and average budgets are.

Could you suggest a couple of ball park budgets for a very basic setup and then maybe a slightly more expensive one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I can only speak from experience of a Davis Vantage Vue - first time station. You're talking several hundred Euro for this, but I am very happy with it and it is simple to set up.

I'm sure there are more basic set ups also, I'll open it up to more seasoned station owners here to advise. Good luck - great hobby.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

For a basic station that will connect to a computer so that the data can be logged, Maplin do a couple of stations, and there are special offers on one of them at the moment, so it's less than half price.

The Davis in comparison is very much a top end station, very good, and probably long term more reliable, but the difference in price is orders of magnitude, a Maplin station will be well under €100 on special offer, the Davis can be the wrong side of €400.

A lot depends on where you live, and what other possible sources of interference you may have around you, as the send station uses frequencies that are shared with things like WiFi, and other things, so an urban area may be more complicated in terms of getting a signal through to the base station.

If you can, to save pain, get a station that has a solar recharge facility for the send station, it's a PAIN having to get up a mast to change batteries on a regular basis, or modify a small charger to provide power from the mains with a battery back up to cover power outages.

The Maplin station uses a Win based application however, I'm not sure if there is a Mac based package on the web for it, the Davis is also Win based, so that might be an issue.

a very good source of information will be the Sandaysoft forum, there is a lot of discussion there about the Cumulus package, which can be used with the Maplin stations, among others, including the Davis.

Maplin will almost certainly offer one or other of their stations after the Christmas period, there's a new station for them on offer at the moment

Hope that helps, and No, I don't work for Maplin, or any other weather station supplier, just happen to use some of the products I've mentioned.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Any got weather stations in their gardens? Are they any good? And recommendations etc?

Just went to replace batteries and nothing happening, TRansmitter lights up, wiring looks okay. Receiver okay but getting nothing.

Any got weather stations in their gardens? Are they any good? And recommendations etc?

It's like this, if you are not in a good weather observing area, then a cheap station will be as valuable as a professional one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Just went to replace batteries and nothing happening, TRansmitter lights up, wiring looks okay. Receiver okay but getting nothing.

can almost guarantee that you will have to do a restart on the base station by removing and replacing the batteries on it. well know issue with most of them.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

can almost guarantee that you will have to do a restart on the base station by removing and replacing the batteries on it. well know issue with most of them.

No Joy, Thanks anyway.
    Must give it a detailed look later in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

N96fy appears to be down to stg£70 now - does that change opinions on which one to get? Temp based alarm (which is one of the differences if I am reading it right) might be handy for the garden if it can be set for frost.

Advertisement