Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So we'll be starting this season without Seymour, Huff, DHB, Wheeler, Byrant and probably McClain and Kelly as well. Looking at retaining about 4 starters on defense at this rate. Interesting times ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Are they all FAs chucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Yep, Wheeler's signedwith Miami, they're getting a good player there. Bryant has gone to Cleveland, as Chucky said, interesting times ahead. I hope McKenzie knows what he's doing........

Are they all FAs chucky?

Kelly and McClain are still on the team but likely to be cut. Palmer will most likely be cut as well.

To be honest my expectations are the same as last year, I just want to see that things are improving, I'm not looking for us to win the AFC west, never mind the playoffs, but if we can be competitive then that would be great.

• Advertisement

To be honest my expectations are the same as last year, I just want to see that things are improving, I'm not looking for us to win the AFC west, never mind the playoffs, but if we can be competitive then that would be great.

Yea same as me. Happy with all the three cuts and hope the same goes for Kelly, McClain and Palmer. Also happy we didn't over-pay for Wheeler and Byrant. First time we seem to have a somewhat sensible GM handling the money situation. He inherited a brutal situation though, and it's going to be a while before it gets worse. We've $30m in dead money this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I hope McKenzie/Allen are given a few years to make it work, because last season was plain ugly, and you've just lost some of your best players so next year could be horrible. Purge had to be done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

While all these cuts are indicative of a rebuilding process and starting from scratch, you then have to wonder why the Raiders are talking to scrubs like Vince Young.

While all these cuts are indicative of a rebuilding process and starting from scratch, you then have to wonder why the Raiders are talking to scrubs like Vince Young.

Pretty logical choice if we go with Pyror as starter. No point having a traditional pocket passer as his back up as it will make it tougher switching plays/play-books if Pryo gets injured.

We've signed Pat Sims(DT, Bengals) Jason Hunter (DE, Broncos) and Kaluka Maiava (LB, Browns).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The Raiders have alot of work to do to get out of years of poor decisions n poor drafting.

They have lost some good talent this off-season and the fear would be that you are throwing out the baby with the bath water. They need to cut Tommy Kelly and Carson Palmer n focus on the future.

Would it be sensible for the Raiders to try and trade down to get an extra pick to make up for no 2nd rounder. McKenzie needs lots of time as he has had no daft picks to really work with so far. A year of Pryor may not be the worst thing in the world. If he is good then great, if not they'll have shot at Bridgewater or Manziel next year.

We've signed Pat Sims(DT, Bengals) Jason Hunter (DE, Broncos) and Kaluka Maiava (LB, Browns).
    I hope we make more signings like this and less of the "Javon Walker/Randy Moss/DeAngelo Hall" type of Free Agent that Oakland was known for in the past. We need players who play more for the badge than the paycheck. I'm not so sure about Young but Chucky makes a valid point about the similarities between Young and Pryor's style of play. Incidentally I have a mate who hails from Ohio and is a serious Buckeyes fan. He's well biased but he feels that the Raiders would be better off to start with Pryor and give him a chance at the QB spot. I'm not so sure, always liked Palmer and felt that he was forced to play a completely one dimensional style of offense last year. Defenses had no problem reading that Oakland was going to pass, play after play. You keep throwing like that, you are going to be intercepted. There's so many gaps in the Roster its scary to imagine how McKenzie and Allen are going to cope. I like this Management team, there is a unity between them that Raiders fans have never seen before. Al Davis was Raiders through and through, but he has left a terrible legacy. You should be able to judge a manager by looking at the team he inherited and the team he left. Al Davis inherited a terrible team and he left the Raiders in a terrible state. Sorry but its true. :(

He looks like the Hulk. Maybe those rumours of Fisher/Joekal at #3 have scared him. Also going into a contract year has probably been a good motivator.

BGQE9ArCIAIPLV-.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

That is the most impressive physique I've ever seen!

Raiders officially released Tommy Kelly today. A good move. They are really going for a full-on clear out. Apparently Palmer is refusing to play ball with his contract and could be cut too.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Raiders officially released Tommy Kelly today. A good move. They are really going for a full-on clear out. Apparently Palmer is refusing to play ball with his contract and could be cut too.
    If that's the case, then cut him. At this stage McKenzie needs to complete the clearout. It probably wont be pretty this season, but it should pay dividends at the start of the 2014 season, finally out of salary cap hell!!

If that's the case, then cut him. At this stage McKenzie needs to complete the clearout. It probably wont be pretty this season, but it should pay dividends at the start of the 2014 season, finally out of salary cap hell!!

Yea most of the bad contracts from the Al Davis era are gone. McKenzie is 100% doing the right thing. Short term pain for long term gain.

Yea it's definitely great to see despite knowing that next season will be a complete write off. We have $30m in dead money and with all the cuts should have a huge amount of cap space next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Yea it's definitely great to see despite knowing that next season will be a complete write off. We have $30m in dead money and with all the cuts should have a huge amount of cap space next year.

and with a lot of 1 year contracts this free agency there will be a big pool of good players next year.

• Advertisement

Aaaaannnnndddddddddddddddddddddd we got him!

Raiders only giving up late round picks in 2014 & 2015 for Flynn. If they get anything at all from the Cards for Palmer then it's a great bit of business all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Raiders only giving up late round picks in 2014 & 2015 for Flynn. If they get anything at all from the Cards for Palmer then it's a great bit of business all round

Yeah finally moving in the right direction but they definitely need to build from the draft over the next 2-3 years and not tie themselves into big FA contracts.

Can see the Raiders losing big time this season but for all the right reasons in the long term. May even get Johnny Football in the draft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Can see the Raiders losing big time this season but for all the right reasons in the long term. May even get Johnny Football in the draft!

If they even want him.

davyjose wrote: »
    If they even want him.

That's true too, reckon he might take a good few smacks without Joeckel there to protect him this year.

Wow, we even got a draft pick for Carson Palmer in round 7 :(. Whilst I'm not glad to see the back of Palmer, we totally overpaid for him and by getting rid of him its another sign that we've moved on from the oversized contracts that the Raiders were renowned for paying. I've read that the Raiders are going to have a lot of cap space from next year. Well done Reggie and Dennis for having the cojones to clear up the mess that they inherited. And well done Mark Davis for giving them the leeway to do so.

That's true too, reckon he might take a good few smacks without Joeckel there to protect him this year.

He'll be just fine with Jake Matthews still there.

Raiders really have bit the bullet this off-season. Now they need to draft well for he next 2 years at least to start heading in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Rolando McClain waived by Raiders

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Rolando McClain waived by Raiders
    That move was a no Brainer and about time too. :) Deadwood has officially been cast off now, it truly is year Zero for Oakland. But at least we know now that there shouldnt be anymore of the old practices of overpaying for out of favour veterans who never worked out, nor drafting solely using Speed as a deciding factor, or trading away of high Draft picks needlessly.

Advertisement