Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Got Section 80 after someone posted Rigamortus in another thread somewhere :eek: Track is ridiculous!

I'd got his EP but had forgotten about him, can't wait to listen to this album now. Best way to get over a hangover slump!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Got Section 80 after someone posted Rigamortus in another thread somewhere :eek: Track is ridiculous!

I'd got his EP but had forgotten about him, can't wait to listen to this album now. Best way to get over a hangover slump!

One of the best MC's in the industry right now, Section.80 is great but I can't wait to hear what he comes up with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

ye most def my favourite piece of hip hop so far this year.

not a bad song, just released the other day.

lamar talks his debut album and how its almost finished, also says he will build on the sound that was section 80 which sounds good to me.

confirms just blaze will have some production, surprised there was no mention of some dre production.

talks tour with drake and the black hippy album with jay rock.

http://www.diversehiphop.com/blog/2012/01/kendrick-lamar-gives-update-on-his-debut-album/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

What the hell was section 80 if this is his debut?

Very commercially accepted/discussed if it was only a mixtape...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What the hell was section 80 if this is his debut?

Very commercially accepted/discussed if it was only a mixtape...

A digital album i think, don't know to much about him but i think it was only a digital album.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    A digital album i think, don't know to much about him but i think it was only a digital album.

Alri cheers, oddly they do not count that as a full album?

yeah twas only released on iTunes as far as I'm aware.

confirms just blaze will have some production, surprised there was no mention of some dre production.

Really starting to wonder what kind of involvement, if any, Dre will have on this album. When the two started working together I thought it would only be a matter of time before he would sign to Aftermath but looks like that won't be happening and Kendrick hasn't mentioned anything about any production from Dre on the album.

Dre did say he wanted to work with Kendrick and Slim before he takes his break from music so hopefully he means they've done something for this album and not Detox (in which case, we would never get to hear it).

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Really starting to wonder what kind of involvement, if any, Dre will have on this album. When the two started working together I thought it would only be a matter of time before he would sign to Aftermath but looks like that won't be happening and Kendrick hasn't mentioned anything about any production from Dre on the album.

Dre did say he wanted to work with Kendrick and Slim before he takes his break from music so hopefully he means they've done something for this album and not Detox (in which case, we would never get to hear it).

i know a bit strange, tbh i think if lamar had some dre production on the album he would of said it by now just like he confirmed just blaze will.

its not looking likely if that's the case, i actually taught up until a while ago lamar was on aftermath and that his debut would be released through aftermath/interscope.

its looking like to me dre is just going to over see this album and offer lamar some guidance just like he did with the game for the red album where he didn't contribute any beats just stupid skits nor was game actually back on aftermath it was for publicity, i can see lamar going down the same route with dre the connection with aftermath will do him no harm.

its probably a good thing as you know man most rappers who sign to aftermath their albums never see the light of day.

we saw dre and snoop giving their approval of jay rocks album a few months ago, wouldn't be surprised if it was just that for lamar.

Yeah for a while I thought Dre would be serving as executive producer for Kendrick's album, thought there would have been a few Dre beats on the album. I know what happens with Aftermath artists but a while back Dre seemed really eager to work on the album (an impression I never got when Dre talked about Bishop or Slim).

I thought Kendrick was going to be "Dre's" next big artist (Snoop, Em, 50, Game, etc.) but if he has little to no involvement in the albums production I'm really unsure whether Kendricks album will get the attention it deserves. A Dr. Dre co-sign is nice but it doesn't sell records - Jay Rocks album only sold 5,000 copies in its first week despite getting Dre's approval. Kendrick needs a Dre beat (In Da Club, How We Do, etc.), something for the radio and the club. Section.80 was a great album but there was nothing on there for the masses.

Yeah for a while I thought Dre would be serving as executive producer for Kendrick's album, thought there would have been a few Dre beats on the album. I know what happens with Aftermath artists but a while back Dre seemed really eager to work on the album (an impression I never got when Dre talked about Bishop or Slim).

I thought Kendrick was going to be "Dre's" next big artist (Snoop, Em, 50, Game, etc.) but if he has little to no involvement in the albums production I'm really unsure whether Kendricks album will get the attention it deserves. A Dr. Dre co-sign is nice but it doesn't sell records - Jay Rocks album only sold 5,000 copies in its first week despite getting Dre's approval. Kendrick needs a Dre beat (In Da Club, How We Do, etc.), something for the radio and the club. Section.80 was a great album but there was nothing on there for the masses.

tbh i never taught lamar was going to be the next big rapper from dre, he doesn't have the same commercial appeal as a eminem, snoop, 50, game etc his music isn't as appealing to the public and he has a completely different sound to previous dre artists maybe that's why he isn't actually signed to interscope/aftermath and this is where i personally think someone like jimmy iovine might have blocked/advised dre that he maybe wouldn't want an artist with no real huge commercial appeal/profit especially outside america to say some other relatively new artist like a drake, wiz khalifa etc.

imo lamar isn't your typical aftermath artist he has a lot more substance and intelligence behind his music, that's not to take anything away from other aftermath artists both past and present especially someone like a rakim but maybe there's a reason his album wasn't released under interscope/aftermath maybe the point i made in the first paragraph about commercial appeal etc has a lot to do with it, afterall aftermath is on a major through interscope and we know jimmy wont let dre just put anything out without a buzz behind it just ask bishop and i personally see slim da mobster going down the same route as bishop lamont.

i think even if dre or em ft'd on a lamar track he still wouldn't have a big commercial impact certainty not on the level of say snoop or g unit etc, its not because he isn't talented enough because most of us know he is arguably more talented than all those listed above.

For me it has a lot to do with the current direction of hip hop and its current sound, i don't really have lamar down as the commercial type thats not to say he wont lean in that hip pop direction as say a drake, wiz etc when it comes to that radio single etc to gain more of a buzz but i really think lamars sound is unique and we saw his efforts for singles on section 80 with hii power etc great music but as you said it aint for the masses and it wont put him on the map commercially as big as previous aftermath artists...

jay rock went in the same direction, kept it really strictly gangsta hip hop. dre gave it the nod yes but really if that album was released on aftermath the lead singles would have been a lot more radio friendly especially in todays hip hop climate. Dre had nothing to lose it was a good gangsta hip hop album and i think thats the way jay rock wanted it to sound and i admire him for it.

but look that was a digital album, the next one is his official debut so lets see what he comes with hopefully the wait wont be too long.

Section.80, after listening to it fully, and after reading the story behind it is a very solid album.

He has an ear for good beats and lyrics are good. I still stand behind my original point of a lot of the good parts being drowned out by the bad songs and some songs being too long and repetitive while others being way too short. But he is way way way better than I gave him credit for.

Cole I am still feeling a bit "meh" about him, some good songs but with him the amount of average songs is really drowning out the good ones - but again lots of people could be loving those exact songs. If some of his songs were shorter I would love a lot of them - 5 minutes songs with 3 minutes of content or less imo.

Does Cole produce? The beats of Lamar and Cole are always deadly, I don't think I heard a bad beat they rapped over yet.

Does Cole produce? The beats of Lamar and Cole are always deadly, I don't think I heard a bad beat they rapped over yet.

Yep, Cole produces most of his own stuff and has done a few tracks for Kendrick. The two of them were working on a collab album at one point but not sure what the status of that project is at the moment.

Here's a snippet of a song the two did together:

Yep, Cole produces most of his own stuff and has done a few tracks for Kendrick.

as far as i know they only have officially collabed once and that was on hii power, what other songs do you know of lads?... i cant think of anymore songs :)

on the cole/lamar collab album, it isn't going to happen this year imo because of lamars debut but also the group he is in black hippy have an album this year too... very unlikely we would see 3 lamar projects in one year, you never know though.
    He has an ear for good beats and lyrics are good. I still stand behind my original point of a lot of the good parts being drowned out by the bad songs and some songs being too long and repetitive while others being way too short. But he is way way way better than I gave him credit for.

i think he got the balance perfect tbh considering the story he was trying to tell, i think some of the interludes/skits before songs were a nice fit too, it allowed some songs to blend into one another nicely.

a perfect example of an album that's over cooked and repetitive is kanye's mbdtf, there were just some pointless unnecessary moments on that album, i personally don't see how lamar can be accused of being repetitive or drowned out by bad songs that were too long on section 80, it was to me a very unique album with a very original sound and topic.

Cheers.

Definitely like both of their beats, not a bad one between them and some absolute quality ones also.

Ye the hiiiipower movement or whatever you want to call it is very interesting, inspired by 2pacs TL and tbh it is a lot easier to "sell" as it can not be misconstrued as much as TL was.

No not drowned out on section.80, most songs are quality or at least good. But in general I find some of the material to be bad and some of his songs should be longer and some should be shorter.

But definitely for Cole he is very hit at miss rapping wise - pretty much all of his songs are 2 minutes longer than they should be with him singing the hook several times and other random repetitiveness but overall much better than I initially gave them credit for.

as far as i know they only have officially collabed once and that was on hii power, what other songs do you know of lads?... i cant think of anymore songs :)

I only know of the 2 leaked songs ('Temptations' and 'Shock The World') but I read somewhere that they've recorded 10 tracks together for their project, will try to find a link.

Are Kendrick Lamar and Game Working On a Mixtape?

Game and fellow Compton, Ca., native Kendrick Lamar have been making music together for six years now. Most recently, Kendrick appeared on Game’s “The City” off of last year’s The R.E.D. Album. But, could the friends be gearing up for a bigger collaboration? Word on the street is that the two have clandestinely been working on a joint mixtape.

“Oh man, that sounds tight,” Kendrick told XXLMag.com about the collabo last week in Los Angeles. “That’s a good rumor.”

While Kendrick denies a mixtape for now, he did give an insight as to what it is like working with his older homie.

“Me and game in the studio is war,” Kendrick said with a smile. “Game is out to be the best. I’m out to be the best. When you have two people in the lab that has the chemistry… Sometimes you’ll have two good artists in the lab and they don’t have the chemistry. Sometimes you have to [distinguish] people from being rap friends and real friends. But we have the best of both worlds. When you have two of us in there trying to write the craziest verse, it’s going to come out to a crazy song at the end of the day. That’s what’s needed in hip-hop: friendly competition.”

Kendrick says away from the mic, Game drops jewels on him constantly.

“I got in the lab with Game in ’06,” Kendrick shared, “I go all the way back. I was on one of his mixtapes. He gave me the opportunity to showcase my skills. Just the vibe around him, he plays the role of big homie. He obviously done touched spots in this industry that I’m trying to touch. Every time I’m around him he schools me on different aspects of what to do and what not to do. He’s made mistakes that he’s manned up to and admits. Just being a man and coming to me at that just shows me the ropes. It’s all love. It lets me know I have genuine people that are in it for my best interests.”

But back to the Kendrick and Game mixtape rumor. If that project ever comes to fruition, would Dr. Dre give the duo a track?

“Hell yeah!” Kendrick said emphatically. “If this was a good rumor, all the way past rumor times two, you would definitely get one of them [Dre beats]. I’m just now hearing about [the rumored mixtape] truthfully.” —Shaheem Reid

LINK: http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2012/01/are-kendrick-lamar-and-game-working-on-a-mixtape/

• Advertisement

that would be class, would benefit both of them. Game would have to bring it though because lamar absolutely made that song the city his own on the red album, really showed his superiority as an mc compared to game, im surprised game actually let him out do him on his song tbh.

do you know the game song from the mixtape that lamar said he ft'd on prettboy? wouldn't mind giving that a listen.

that would be class, would benefit both of them. Game would have to bring it though because lamar absolutely made that song the city his own on the red album, really showed his superiority as an mc compared to game, im surprised game actually let him out do him on his song tbh.
    Yeah Game would definitely need to give it his all, would love to see the two of them do a mixtape together, they've got a track with Dre for Detox called Compton Ways too, hopefully we get to hear it...
    do you know the game song from the mixtape that lamar said he ft'd on prettboy? wouldn't mind giving that a listen.

Kendrick's part at 4:25

Yeah Game would definitely need to give it his all, would love to see the two of them do a mixtape together, they've got a track with Dre for Detox called Compton Ways too, hopefully we get to hear it...

Kendrick's part at 4:25

id like to see it myself think it would have a lot of potential, ye i heard something about the 2 of them on the same detox track, it would be good to have 3 compton rappers on the same song on detox.

not a bad song, never heard it before. lamar must of been what 18 or 19 on that track.

also hearing jay rock on that song puts into perspective how long he has been waiting to blow, i remember spider loc saying in 2006 he was going to be the next big thing out of the west.

new lamar ft gunplay from triple c's (rick ross's group)

im liking it, sounds like it could of been a section 80 leftover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Kendrick Lamar is like a breath of fresh air in hip hop.I just hope Dre doesnt **** it up.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Kendrick Lamar is like a breath of fresh air in hip hop.I just hope Dre doesnt **** it up.

true that :).

He's not on aftermath so he's not gona be shelved or held back by dre and its looking like we wont even get a dre beat on his debut later this year by the sounds of it on his latest interviews but id like too see dre having some what of an input on the album.

Just keep lamar of interscope and aftermath and away from the commercial influences of jimmy iovine imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm really gonna have to give him a listen, anybody recommend some of his best songs?

Also heard he's playing some festival along side roots and blackstar.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I'm really gonna have to give him a listen, anybody recommend some of his best songs?

Also heard he's playing some festival along side roots and blackstar.

i could go on all day paddy, here is a few of my favs of the top of my head, just listen to section 80 and the overly dedicated mixtape should be enough to convince you.:)

These two my faves.

This one is an older track I think. What made him stand out for me.
    Nice sigur ros sample as well :cool:

• Advertisement

good interview with lamar, talks being left out of mtv list, detox and working with pharrell etc.

great news that lamar is a 100 per cent confirmed feature on detox and possible pharell production on his debut.

Advertisement