Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crossbarry

Options
  • 12-09-2010 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

Often called the Largest engagment of the War or independance.

I have read Tom Barrys Account, however I would like to know how accurate it is. His account is contradicted by several other sources. In a Book called Ambushes and armour, the auther says the figures for Enemy dead claimed by Barry to be Exagerated.

Also Major Percival in a military lecture claimed they captured a cart load of ammunition left behind, but Barry denied there ever was any cart with ammunition on it.

Dose anyone have a reletivaly clear picture of what happened at Crossbarry that day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

Often called the Largest engagment of the War or independance.

I have read Tom Barrys Account, however I would like to know how accurate it is. His account is contradicted by several other sources. In a Book called Ambushes and armour, the auther says the figures for Enemy dead claimed by Barry to be Exagerated.

Also Major Percival in a military lecture claimed they captured a cart load of ammunition left behind, but Barry denied there ever was any cart with ammunition on it.

Dose anyone have a reletivaly clear picture of what happened at Crossbarry that day?

Are you in Co Cork?

The ref library has some interesting stuff on Crossbarry..... who was the author that states the figures given are exaggerated?

There are papers from interviews of Old IRA men from mid Cork.......Id consider Crossbarry to be Mid Cork but it is on the way to Bandon which I guess is the gateway to West Cork.

Well worth a visit to the ref. library if you live here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

All I know is what Tom Barry recalled in his memoir. Truth or not, it was a remarkable achievement and the closest approximation to a proper 'battlefield experience' the IRA engaged in during the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

timespast wrote: »
    Are you in Co Cork?

No, Im from Waterford, In collage in Limerick.
    The ref library has some interesting stuff on Crossbarry..... who was the author that states the figures given are exaggerated?

The book was called Ambushes and armour, Not sure of the Authors name.

There are papers from interviews of Old IRA men from mid Cork.......Id consider Crossbarry to be Mid Cork but it is on the way to Bandon which I guess is the gateway to West Cork.

Well worth a visit to the ref. library if you live here.

There wasent a mid cork Brigade was there?

I think the figures proposed in the book come from the internal British reports and Inquest after the Engagement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

No, Im from Waterford, In collage in Limerick.

The book was called Ambushes and armour, Not sure of the Authors name.

There wasent a mid cork Brigade was there?

I think the figures proposed in the book come from the internal British reports and Inquest after the Engagement.

I'll send you a pm.

Advertisement