Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nocturnal Nerds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Teutorix wrote: »
    the foolish inept unattractive sounds more reminiscent of the modern use of geek

Is there a large difference between a nerd and a geek?

Geek definatly sounds kinda nasty though, I certainly wouldn't like to be called a geek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

but is it just coincidence that nerds generally turn out successful. bill gates is a prime example, he was a computer nerd and is now the richest man alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

You can call me anything you want :pac:

OoooOOOooohh.... :eek::cool:
    BrynW wrote: »
    Get back in your box you :P
    LOL :D
    raah! wrote: »
    *nerd*:NounSlang 1. A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

Unattractive.... ???! Yeah right! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

no :)
    Sound :D Sorry don't mean to slag or anything.

Is there a large difference between a nerd and a geek?

Geek definatly sounds kinda nasty though, I certainly wouldn't like to be called a geek.
    well a nerd is commonly used to describe people who are smart, whilst geek tends to refer to more to people who are socially inept.nerds in American teen culture is more the way the phrase is used. a nerds are generally geeky yet geeks are not neccisarly nerdy.

Do i make any sense? of course i dont i never do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well I have certainly never meant it when I used the word. But people who use it as an insult would. And people do seem to use it as an insult. What's LFC :) ?

:)

Liverpool Football Club!

Well, I am a nerd yet I can talk so much ****e I was in sales for 10 years. I may have issues but social ineptness is not one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Actual quote
    15yr old sister to me "why do all your friends know about computers?"
    Mother responds "cuz all her friends are nerds that's why" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Whether or not "nerd" is an insult depends on the context it's used in.

If someone said I was a nerd because I'm smart, I'd be flattered.

However, if they called me a nerd to insult me (like accuse me of social ineptitude) I woul not like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nerd? me?*

I can lift heavy things..

I also know stuff about boats..:)

*I also write software for machinery in a form of assembly language.. and have loads of geeky IDE's on my home pc hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

SDooM wrote: »
    I may have issues but social ineptness is not one. :)

Just me then :P.

• Advertisement

SteveC wrote: »
    Nerd? me?*

I also know stuff about boats..:)

*I also write software for machinery in a form of assembly language.. and have loads of geeky IDE's on my home pc hehehe

I've played music in front of 2,000 students but I'm still a nerd. Deal with it :D

Whether or not "nerd" is an insult depends on the context it's used in.

If someone said I was a nerd because I'm smart, I'd be flattered.

However, if they called me a nerd to insult me (like accuse me of social ineptitude) I woul not like that.
    i would just laugh, i get made fun of all the time! i just find it terribly funny, it doesnt bother me in the slightest.
    i would probably just laugh at them and say something smart along the lines of disproving my ineptness and showing theirs, using plenty of big words along the way.

now that i think about it most of the people who make fun of me wouldnt know what social ineptness means

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

SteveC wrote: »

Pfft, so can I, and I'm tiny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

*affixes Nerd Badge*

Going back to college to study more science, I kick ass at the numbers round on Countdown ,and once (at a costume party in 2006) I got a bit overexcited about FFXII coming out, because Famitsu had given it a perfect score. (I fell over.)

My badge is shiny and I wear it with great pride. :D
    I make video games for a living.

...game developer + Isle of Wight + cheese.... Herr Cron?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Having attended the Nocturnal Beers, I for one disagree with the notion that nerds are unattractive :pac:

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Having attended the Nocturnal Beers, I for one disagree with the notion that nerds are unattractive :pac:
    intelligence is sexy!
    thats just my opinion, you can have yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Gotta agree with you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

ooh ooh. I thought of something else I know the longest word in the English language and can spell it. Does anyone else, without the help of google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

intelligence is sexy!
    thats just my opinion, you can have yours.
    You seem to be lacking at the moment :P it was a double negative, MizzLolly said intelligence is attractive!

That may just have been the alcohol! :D

• Advertisement

animan wrote: »
    ooh ooh. I thought of something else I know the longest word in the English language and can spell it. Does anyone else, without the help of google.
    It's the name of a Scottish town. 52 letters I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

1.1 degree in electronic and computer engineering, picking that up in october. Might be the only one in the class to have got a 1.1. Nerd ++
    Have sat on my couch all summer nerding it up via games.
    2 of the last 3 nights I have been playing games with friends in an internet cafe until 8am.
    Och spelar lite DotA!
    I read 4 books a week for a decade.
    Have been on science and maths 'teams'.
    Have taught people as old as myself electronics in university and have taught leaving cert students electronics labs.
    Oh I used to roleplay as an aristocratic vampire heh.
    but is it just coincidence that nerds generally turn out successful. bill gates is a prime example, he was a computer nerd and is now the richest man alive.
    He hasn't been the richest man alive for ages and also he has now given all his money to charity so well, nuh uh!

You seem to be lacking at the moment :P it was a double negative, MizzLolly said intelligence is attractive!
    no she said nerds are not unattractive. she didnt say their brains turned her on!

welsh actually

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    I agree! Airheads annoy me...

I used to know it and could spell it but can't remember it!
    Unless you're talking about the popular belief that antidisestablishmentarianism is in fact the longest english word?

animan wrote: »

It's not antidisestablishmentarianism, is it?

Or is it that really long word beginning with f? Floccinauphin...something.

Thats welsh actually.

Ooooh I keep forgetting this. I dont think it's antidisestablishmentarianism, or flocinocinihifilipication, but they are up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Im not a regular poster, but i think the fact that I get the Machine God reference in Teutorixs sig makes me nerdy enough :D

Praise the Omnissah :pac:

edit: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - the fear of long words is up there :P

• Advertisement

no she said nerds are not unattractive. she didnt say their brains turned her on!
    welsh actually

Easy tiger, it's not a competition! :P

Advertisement