Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Newspaper Archives - speed

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Must say the site has improved, more professional layout now but €10 for just 24 hours still too steep for me, especially when...

...the British Newspaper Archive can now be accessed for a whole month for just £1, at least until Sunday. Grab it while you can, it's addictive :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Speed has improved anyway; I managed to actually run out of stuff I could think of in a 48 hour window.

The problem is that you really still need to have a lot longer and scan over pages manually as the OCR is really, really poor on older papers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

...the British Newspaper Archive can now be accessed for a whole month for just £1, at least until Sunday. Grab it while you can, it's addictive :)

I may be wrong about that actually, you probably need to be a former subscriber to get the promotion code, which then activates the £1 offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Used this in the NLI a couple of times recently, very slow, which is 'livable with' but what drove me demented was the inability of the same search parameters to find previously found searches. e.g. three specific 'keywords' produced six articles; then, a few days later the same 3 words produced just two articles and I could not find any others. Any suggestions?
    Also, the Irish Times database is not available - am I mistaken that it was accessible before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I don't recall the IT ever being on that. I'm quite sure you've to get a separate sub from the IT's own archive website.

• Advertisement

The IT is a separate icon on the PCs in the Gen. Room. I though I had accessed their DB before in the NLI, the icon is still on the screens, opens for a search but when the 'finds' are shown a click on them says a subscription is required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What did Fran and Christina say about the IT sub? Afaik, all libraries and schools have free access to the IT as long as they ask for it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The guy I asked (I'm not a regular, don't know name) said he was unfamiliar with it, which I thought rather odd but as I was in a lousy humour over the other Archive problem I said nothing in case I crossly (crassly?) suggested that somebody had forgotten to pay the sub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I find this site unspeakable. I use it in the local library occasionally. I've got different results from the same search often. But the worst thing is that you can't save a result. The best I've been able to do is save an image of what's on the screen - and then go and hunt down the article on microfilm in Pearse Street. I pity people from outside Dublin who can't do this.
    It also has a wildly random set of newspapers, and doesn't have some of the most important newspapers at all.

I don't have a sub for them at the moment but I've definitely been able to save articles before on it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't have a sub for them at the moment but I've definitely been able to save articles before on it.

I thought I had too, but last week I was trying desperately to save a long article from 1911 through the library's subscription, and attach it to an email to send home to print out and study further. Woudn't happen. Nope.

Well, I don't know about saving on the library pcs but you can print out (in the NLI).

Genealogy Forum Mod

mm. I've tried printing it out (in local library) with disastrous results. I'll go for the microfilm option.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I agree there are lots of problems with the site, including different results from putting in key words. However, I have now discovered that I can download a PDF for any articles I'm interested in, then save to a USB or my own PC. Not sure if that's available if you're using a library computer. One of the benefits of downloading the PDF is that I can enlarge on screen and actually read the article. Some of the printouts are unreadable because they download a whole page onto a single A4 page.

It's interesting to compare with the Australian trovit site which allows users to correct text. It's also free.

KildareFan wrote: »
    I agree there are lots of problems with the site, including different results from putting in key words. However, I have now discovered that I can download a PDF for any articles I'm interested in, then save to a USB or my own PC. Not sure if that's available if you're using a library computer. One of the benefits of downloading the PDF is that I can enlarge on screen and actually read the article. Some of the printouts are unreadable because they download a whole page onto a single A4 page.

It's interesting to compare with the Australian trovit site which allows users to correct text. It's also free.

How do you download the PDF?

Yeah, trovit's great, as is the US Library of Congress site.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

If you have the version I use, open the article view window; click on the little disk icon [like the old floppy disk] on the left of the article view window; a window should pop up saying open as... Click on the PDF button, the article then opens in a PDF file which you can then save to a usb or your own PC. Hope this makes sense.

KildareFan wrote: »

If you have the version I use, open the article view window; click on the little disk icon [like the old floppy disk] on the left of the article view window; a window should pop up saying open as... Click on the PDF button, the article then opens in a PDF file which you can then save to a usb or your own PC. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Great if it works!

Advertisement