Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE2 - Hitler's Jewish Soldiers, Tuesday 8.0

Options
  • 24-08-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Hitler's Jewish Soldiers

Documentary following the lives of four Jewish Germans who were drafted into the Nazi Army. By Nazi law, anyone who was 25 per cent Jewish was a Jew, yet many were proud Germans.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/listings_rtetwo.html

I know it sounds the strangest thing you've ever heard but I've actually read some stuff where some of those who went on to found the state of Israel are on record of admiring Nazism in the early 1930's. They even welcomed the pogroms as they seen it as a way of getting more Jews to the middle east. Fact. I'll see what I can dig up, it may be under a pile of dusty books in the attic :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Were these soldiers only part Jew or full Jews? I know there was some idelogical grey area as to what should be done with part Jews, meishlings I think they were called. If they were less than 25% then I suppose it dose make sence, especially later in the war when manpower was in short supply.

If they were full Jews then it seems very odd, although they did use Russians in their forreign legions and slavic people were low in standing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Were these soldiers only part Jew or full Jews? I know there was some idelogical grey area as to what should be done with part Jews, meishlings I think they were called. If they were less than 25% then I suppose it dose make sence, especially later in the war when manpower was in short supply.

If they were full Jews then it seems very odd, although they did use Russians in their forreign legions and slavic people were low in standing too.
    They were part Jews, their surname's gave them away to the Nazi's. One full Hungarian Jew joined he said to survive as he was starving etc. I only watched about 25 minutes of it and turned over, thought it was rubbish. Sensationalist title but little substance in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I only watched about 25 minutes of it and turned over, thought it was rubbish. Sensationalist title but little substance in it.

I didn't see it but going from past experience with WW2 documentaries on Irish TV that sounds about right to me. Maybe it's just me but I really don't see any great level of historical value in an anomaly like that story anyway.

Advertisement