Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish family evicted and replaced by migrants

• 13-12-2018 2:12am
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This story has been shared a number of times recently by friends on Facebook. There is always more to these stories when more details are revealed so just wondering if anyone has any more information about the story.

If it is a straightforward case that the Irish family has been turfed out for no reason other than to be replaced by migrants for financial gains then it is wrong and I would agree with councillor Andy Gladney.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Doubt it

Clickbait junk for bigots

a facebook story

you decided that a facebook story was worth posting a thread title like that as if it were factual

then yr op is all "now i dont knkw but IF!"

thats pathetic stuff tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Doubt it

Clickbait junk for bigots

Sure everyone's a 'bigot' nowadays

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

a facebook story

you decided that a facebook story was worth posting a thread title like that as if it were factual

then yr op is all "now i dont knkw but IF!"

thats pathetic stuff tbh

What would you suggest I put as the thread title?

Why is it pathetic? I'm just trying to figure out if the story is even true and if so details behind the eviction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yeah, can see right through your phony "I don't know" pretending to care sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sure everyone's a 'bigot' nowadays

Some people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Regardless of whether this actually occurred in Kilkenny or not, or if the circumstances are as simple as they have been presented or not, it is still a conversation that needs to be had. It is still a valid question - should migrants be housed before homeless Irish people.

Saying the fact that the conversation should be had should not be construed as indicative that my opinion is that the migrants should be told go to hell.....because that isn't my opinion!

But I feel the OP has been unjustly criticized.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A simple google of 'cllr andy gladney + migrants' reveals.....

... nothing at all.

Tell me what you'd like that facebook post image to say, OP. I could have it posted here in 5 minutes.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Arghus wrote: »
    Some people are.

Me hole.
    The word has lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Yeah, can see right through your phony "I don't know" pretending to care sh1te

I just want to know if the story is actually true. That's all...no more or no less.
    No need for such an insulting comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Ahwell

aido79 wrote: »
    What would you suggest I put as the thread title?

Nothing. It doesn't merit a thread.

endacl wrote: »
    A simple google of 'cllr andy gladney + migrants' reveals.....

... nothing at all.

Tell me what you'd like that facebook post image to say, OP. I could have it posted here in 5 minutes.

:rolleyes:

As said I just want to know if there is any truth behind the Facebook post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Had a little look around the interweb and there are exactly zero reports of an Irish family being evicted to house immigrants. Or to put it another way: it's a complete load of bollocks.

However, Sinn Fein councillor for Carlow, Andy Gladney, did get involved in who should be given preference for social housing in his area: At a recent Council meeting Andy said that he was at home when he heard a report about the resettlement of refugees in Carlow-Kilkenny. He said that the broadcast indicated that houses in the Bagenalstown area had been acquired for Syrian refugees.

"I didn't think it was a good way of going about the Council's business, I think there should have been notification to councillors beforehand, before it went out on the radio." Councillor Gladney said that he had no issue with Syrians being resettled in Ireland, but Irish people in need should be looked after first.

https://www.facebook.com/KilkennyJournal/posts/our-own-come-first-for-irish-houses-cllr-andy-gladney-of-bagenalstown-criticised/1835294083204590/

Call me old fashioned, but I subscribe to the notion that housing should go to those most in need - which is the formula in most developed countries - not to those with the most freckles and shillelaghs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Maybe Gladney wanted the house to go to his fellow travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

Unfortunately, homelessness can never realistically be 100% eliminated. Therefore that stance is equivalent to saying "No refugees.....Ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Immigrants. Migrant. Not refugees. I'm betting the 4 locals who got evicted were not paying rent, and the family of 6 are Polish people who can pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dont even have to open the link to know that its not true

the_syco wrote: »
    Immigrants. Migrant. Not refugees. I'm betting the 4 locals who got evicted were not paying rent, and the family of 6 are Polish people who can pay rent.

Why are the floodgates still open? There are 10k homeless people here, that number isnt dropping anywhere near enough. But yet the goverment are happy to keep handing out pps numbers.

Is it a case that its easier for migrants to find accomodation than it is for Irish people?

Or where do the goverment think these people are going to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Why are the floodgates still open?

...because we voted yes in the Maastricht Treaty Referendum, 69% to 31%.

• Advertisement

This thread has gone the way I was afraid it would. I just wanted to know if there was any truth behind it as I have seen it a few times on Facebook.
    A lot of the comments show that people have misunderstood my reason for posting and turned the thread into a bit of a car crash(including a poster who is responsible for trying to stop threads going this way)

I realise it's afterhours but if posters can't stay civil and on topic I would suggest that the thread be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This thread has gone the way I was afraid it would. I just wanted to know if there was any truth behind it as I have seen it a few times on Facebook.
    A lot of the comments show that people have misunderstood my reason for posting and turned the thread into a bit of a car crash(including a poster who is responsible for trying to stop threads going this way)

I realise it's afterhours but if posters can't stay civil and on topic I would suggest that the thread be closed.

You turned to After Hours to fact-check the story?

C'mon now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm not homeless, I rent. I pay 220 euros per week rent out of 450 wages.

Should some homeless Irish dosser get a house with cheap rent before me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

And yet you still posted it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Why are the floodgates still open? There are 10k homeless people here, that number isnt dropping anywhere near enough. But yet the goverment are happy to keep handing out pps numbers.

Is it a case that its easier for migrants to find accomodation than it is for Irish people?

Or where do the goverment think these people are going to live?

Haha do you think the 10,000 homeless are all Irish?

Haha do you think the 10,000 homeless are all Irish?

Well if they're not Irish and they are homeless what the fùck are they doing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

There are 10k homeless people here

Eh.... no.! There may be 10k people who want to be thought of as homeless, so they can protest and scream blue murder to get their ‘foreva’ home, but there is not 10k people actually homeless.

This country is too soft on this type of bull****. The likes of the now infamous Ms Cash have been trolling the country with their verbal diarhoeea, and calling all these people homeless is a disservice to people who actually are homeless and who actually require real help.

Yes there are problems, and they require fixing, but the road some people want this country to go down with regards to this ‘housing crises’ is turning the country into a tinderbox, and something is gonna give.

The country cannot sustain the type of social system we have built, and The sooner the better the entitlement culture is dealt with, the sooner we can get to fixing the actual problems.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Eh.... no.! There may be 10k people who want to be thought of as homeless, so they can protest and scream blue murder to get their ‘foreva’ home, but there is not 10k people actually homeless.

This country is too soft on this type of bull****. The likes of the now infamous Ms Cash have been trolling the country with their verbal diarhoeea, and calling all these people homeless is a disservice to people who actually are homeless and who actually require real help.

Yes there are problems, and they require fixing, but the road some people want this country to go down with regards to this ‘housing crises’ is turning the country into a tinderbox, and something is gonna give.

The country cannot sustain the type of social system we have built, and The sooner the better the entitlement culture is dealt with, the sooner we can get to fixing the actual problems.
    Yes yes and yes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why house anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I just wanted to know if there was any truth behind it as I have seen it a few times on Facebook.

Not being smart OP but 99% of anything "shared" on facebook is absolute bollox.
    My mother isn't taking the flu jab this year because she read on Facebook that it's full of mercury and is basically poisonous. As she claimed herself "that's the power of Facebook". As I told her "the majority of stuff shared or posted on Facebook is absolute garbage".

Advertisement