Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Painting Exterior of House - some tips please

Options
  • 06-12-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

What order is best to paint the outside of a house? Window reveals etc...first, or other way round? House is pebble dashed - I fear power hosing it would blow off some of the dashing, is it necessary?

Oh and finally, top-down or bottom up? I feel like top-down would be better for drips etc... but unsure.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For me,

Pressure wash,

leave to dry.

Walls first top to bottom.

The sills.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

listermint wrote: »
    For me,

Pressure wash,

leave to dry.

Walls first top to bottom.

The sills.

Thanks. Not looking forward to this.

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Thanks. Not looking forward to this.

Only psychopaths enjoy painting.

listermint wrote: »
    Only psychopaths enjoy painting.

I have painted the entire inside of the house and I am so sick of it. With that said, I've become quite good at it.

Main learning: buy a load of Zinsser BIN & 123. Fixes nearly every problem :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

House is pebble dashed

Do you have a sprayer?
    if not you'll probably spend the cost of a sprayer on physio for your wrist afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Bad time of year for exterior painting.

Thud wrote: »
    Do you have a sprayer?
    if not you'll probably spend the cost of a sprayer on physio for your wrist afterwards

I spoke to someone about a sprayer before and his advice was cleanup isn't worth it. I'd be very open to using one if you can recommend it. I've been buying tools for specific jobs and then selling them on after and it's working out alright.
    Bad time of year for exterior painting.

100% agreed, we're selling the house in the new year and the exterior is in bits. I'd rather not do it at all but it's quite limiting on the appeal of the house from a sale perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.woodies.ie/decorating/decorating-accessories/roller-frames-sleeves/prodec-twin-head-masonry-kit-364901

Painted my own pebble dashed house during the summer awful job,but one of these rollers make it a lot easier.

mgn wrote: »
    https://www.woodies.ie/decorating/decorating-accessories/roller-frames-sleeves/prodec-twin-head-masonry-kit-364901

Painted my own pebble dashed house during the summer awful job,but one of these rollers make it a lot easier.

How long did it take you?

How long did it take you?

About 2-3 days,Had to give it 2 coats because i changed the colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I spoke to someone about a sprayer before and his advice was cleanup isn't worth it. I'd be very open to using one if you can recommend it. I've been buying tools for specific jobs and then selling them on after and it's working out alright.

100% agreed, we're selling the house in the new year and the exterior is in bits. I'd rather not do it at all but it's quite limiting on the appeal of the house from a sale perspective.

Cleanup on a sprayer is 10 minutes. Give it 20 if you haven't done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

hire a proper sprayer, the type that you put into the bucket of paint not fill with paint. great tool. you will easily paint a house in a day
    cleaning is very easy. 10 min max but would easily save days work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

If you use a roller or brush you’ll find a load of bits you’ve missed at the end and have to go poking/jabbing at them with a brush, will take a lot longer than cleanup after the sprayer.

It takes a lot longer to paint with a roller but it's a better job when it's done.
    And it lasts a lot longer too because your not watering down the paint.
    If you haven't used a sprayer before you wont be that quick either by the time you have cleaned all the spray of the windows/doors and gutters.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If you use a sprayer pay careful attention to wind speed/direction and any parked cars or property downwind lest you have angry neighbours or a speckled car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Do you need to water down the paint with the sprayers or will it work without thinning down the paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Do you need to water down the paint with the sprayers or will it work without thinning down the paint?

if you hire a proper industrial one then you wont

mgn wrote: »
    It takes a lot longer to paint with a roller but it's a better job when it's done.
    And it lasts a lot longer too because your not watering down the paint.
    If you haven't used a sprayer before you wont be that quick either by the time you have cleaned all the spray of the windows/doors and gutters.

No, no and no.

The sprayer will get into all areas unlike the roller or even the brush if dash is heavy enough

A proper airless sprayer will spray the paint neat, not watered down

You need to mask guttering and doors, windows etc prior to spraying. Spend 2 days dprep and 2 days to paint ( 2000 sq ft house)

If you use a sprayer pay careful attention to wind speed/direction and any parked cars or property downwind lest you have angry neighbours or a speckled car.

I know its weird, but paint spray tends not to travel as far as roller spray , at least, thats what I have found in more than 20 years at this game

dok_golf wrote: »
    No, no and no.

The sprayer will get into all areas unlike the roller or even the brush if dash is heavy enough

A proper airless sprayer will spray the paint neat, not watered down

You need to mask guttering and doors, windows etc prior to spraying. Spend 2 days dprep and 2 days to paint ( 2000 sq ft house)

I would have the house painted quicker with the roller.

• Advertisement

dok_golf wrote: »
    I know its weird, but paint spray tends not to travel as far as roller spray , at least, thats what I have found in more than 20 years at this game

It all depends on who is using the sprayer.It's like everything else it's easy when you know how.

I've a sprayer I've sprayed various things kitchens walls cabintry.

And tbh it requires a good bit of skill. It would frustrate most people and can be very dangerous to anything nearby in the wrong hands.

I personally wouldn't advocate anyone to spray something if they aren't hundred percent confident with a roller.

It needs patience care skill

On an exterior, provided you mask up correctly, there is very little you can do wrong so long as you keep the gun roughly at the required distance from the wall. you can turn the pressure down, which minimises overspray. It's really not too bad. The patience is required for the prep and masking.

Thanks for all of the input lads. I don't have a lot of spare time to get it wrong with the sprayer, so I'd rather go the route that I know using the roller and all that goes with it. It's a pain but sure all painting is. Will be doing it over the xmas break, fun times.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for all of the input lads. I don't have a lot of spare time to get it wrong with the sprayer, so I'd rather go the route that I know using the roller and all that goes with it. It's a pain but sure all painting is. Will be doing it over the xmas break, fun times.

Thanks

It really is a bad time of the year for exterior painting but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

That roller that mgn recommended in post no. 9 is a great job and you will reach surprisingly high with it saving a lot of time. Best bet is to paint about 4-6 inches under the soffit and cills first as well as doing the window reveals with the brush then roll away from the top down. When you get to about 6 feet from the bottom take off the roller from the handle.

Stay away from the edges near windows and doors with a just loaded roller as it will send out loads of tiny drops onto the glass or door. Don't try and get every last drop out of the roller head as you are going along, you'll save nothing and only flatten the roller head and weaken the handle where it extends from. Always seal the bucket of paint after refilling the tray.

Use up as much paint as you can from the roller and then cover it tightly and completely with a plastic bag instead of cleaning it to save time.

Best of luck.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ If (when!) you do get paint on the windows, let it dry and it will come off with a razor blade easily.

GreeBo wrote: »
    ^ If (when!) you do get paint on the windows, let it dry and it will come off with a razor blade easily.

I've found keeping a sponge and a small container of water pretty good for this, especially on window frames if it gets past the masking but good to know, thanks!

Any recommendations for where to buy exterior paint near D12?

thanks

Advertisement