Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't think you can use fans forums and then knock fan voting.

PFF has value, I don't want to knock it too much. But in the home game against Miami, they were giving the Mimi D high scoring, despite us walking through them. It cut back to Rob Ryan who was literally laughing at their analysis.

I'm not saying he has been terrible, but I don't see the Pro-Bowl level play. He's had good games, but a number of bad games. And he's been beaten by average WRs, including Sunday. It might be fair to say he's been one our better players on defense; but he's paid to be our best and given the quality of our D, he should be one of the best. Maybe he could make the Pro-Bowl, but Fuller and Howard seem to be of a higher calibre than Gilmore (granted that I see Gilmore weekly and less of the other two).

There's a big difference between voting for the pro-bowl and contributing to forums. One requires the click of a mouse, the other requires constructing an opinion and backing it up. Just because they both require an internet connection doesn't make them in any way similar. It's actually very easy to knock one and not the other.

From what I recall he didn't exactly have a bad game the weekend, he was beaten once on a deep comeback route that was perfectly thrown. Very hard to defend against as you're primary concern is the deep ball when you're 30 yards down the field. He also got beaten on a deep slant for a TD. If you look back on that play he was in excellent coverage. It was just an excellent throw and catch. Had the ball been thrown even slightly off he was in a great position to intercept.
    In this era there's no such thing as a lock down corner anyway. If you call a corner poor because they get beaten 1/2 times a game then every corner in the league is poor.

Also, what other games has he been poor in? Tennessee is the only one that comes to mind. Even in the debacle against the Jags I'm fairly sure he had an excellent game.

TBH I don't want to be getting too drawn into this because you're the first person I've come across who's putting forward an argument that Gilmore is having a bad year. He has easily been our best defensive player this season. To suggest he's having anything other than a great season so far is just wrong.

It's hard to get stats for DBs but here's a few:
    He's second in passes defended across the league, only Fuller has more.
    He's also first among DBs for forced incompletions.
    He has forced an incompletion on 27.9% of his targets so far this season – the highest rate of any corner in the league.
    Targeting him has netted opposing quarterbacks a 70.9 passer rating and 44.3 completion percentage (before Miami game).

I'd be more than happy to see any stats that show the contrary, or even any expert opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

There's a big difference between voting for the pro-bowl and contributing to forums. One requires the click of a mouse, the other requires constructing an opinion and backing it up.
    There's a difference, but it's still just fans. And in the forum you don't have to back anything up; you'll see that all the time.
    TBH I don't want to be getting too drawn into this because you're the first person I've come across who's putting forward an argument that Gilmore is having a bad year.
    Ok, if you're going to say something that I didn't say, then there's no point is going any further. Not Pro Bowl != Bad year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Our DL is the problem, we are not putting any pressure on the opposing QB. We have the second lowest sack total in the league. We have very few pressures compared to most also.

The defense is just so bad. Not a single pro bowl contender amongst any of them. Flowers probably the only one having a good year.
    There's a difference, but it's still just fans. And in the forum you don't have to back anything up; you'll see that all the time.

Ok, if you're going to say something that I didn't say, then there's no point is going any further. Not Pro Bowl != Bad year.

Firstly, I just backed up my argument. You still haven't, even when asked for specific examples and provided with same for the opposing argument.
    Fair enough on the second point, but even still, Gilmore is having a great season in most people's opinion, and statistically. To say he isn't even having a good year is just plain wrong.

Firstly, I just backed up my argument. You still haven't, even when asked for specific examples and provided with same for the opposing argument. Fair enough on the second point, but even still, Gilmore is having a great season in most people's opinion, and statistically. To say he isn't even having a good year is just plain wrong.
    You are wasting your time my friend. He said something and won't back down even though he is wrong.

• Advertisement

Firstly, I just backed up my argument. You still haven't, even when asked for specific examples and provided with same for the opposing argument.
    He's had good games, but a number of bad games. And he's been beaten by average WRs, including Sunday.
    I mean, you can state stuff that I didn't say, and then ignore stuff as well. He didn't play well on Sunday, that is a specific example. He wasn't getting beat by a high class WR that has Pro-Bowl contention.
    Fair enough on the second point, but even still, Gilmore is having a great season in most people's opinion, and statistically. To say he isn't even having a good year is just plain wrong.
    I can be plain wrong in your opinion, and that's fine with me (and I'm sure it's the same with you). I've watched all the games. And as I said, he's has some good games, but a number of bad games as well; which I don't think puts him in the frame for Pro-Bowl. I think Flowers has had a good year, but not Pro-Bowl caliber (even though I saw a recent article that PFF had him extremely high on their chart).

Maybe we are just arguing semantics. You think he's been good enough to warrant Pro-Bowl, I don't. Maybe I'm being too critical of his play, and I can accept that maybe the money (and the expectations of being our No1 CB) is playing a factor. He hasn't had good safety help either. And if he doesn't get Pro-Bowl, I don't think that validates my point, as I agree that fan voting can skew it.

I mean, you can state stuff that I didn't say, and then ignore stuff as well. He didn't play well on Sunday, that is a specific example. He wasn't getting beat by a high class WR that has Pro-Bowl contention.

I can be plain wrong in your opinion, and that's fine with me (and I'm sure it's the same with you). I've watched all the games. And as I said, he's has some good games, but a number of bad games as well; which I don't think puts him in the frame for Pro-Bowl. I think Flowers has had a good year, but not Pro-Bowl caliber (even though I saw a recent article that PFF had him extremely high on their chart).

Maybe we are just arguing semantics. You think he's been good enough to warrant Pro-Bowl, I don't. Maybe I'm being too critical of his play, and I can accept that maybe the money (and the expectations of being our No1 CB) is playing a factor. He hasn't had good safety help either. And if he doesn't get Pro-Bowl, I don't think that validates my point, as I agree that fan voting can skew it.
    Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. And completely agree about the pro-bowl, his inclusion or lack thereof is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That Dolphins loss is even worse now. Could be playing for the No.1 seed on Sunday.

Well we can still possibly get it. If we beat the Steelers we have a chance. Chiefs have a tough matchup at the Seahawks to come and Chargers have to go to Denver where they don't do well. I'm not in any way confident that it will happen, like as poor as the Steelers have been recently I still don't like our chances in Pittsburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

The defence would break your break

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    The defence would break your break

Haha Int

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

One of the greatest special teamas playes you'll ever see keeping the ball from going into the end zone.

Tbh the O has been worse today than the D so far. We still haven't put one decent drive together yet. And the dropped passes....
    At least the D has held them to 14.

Pathetic.

Well that was awful again from the offense. We really do suck at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

So many uncharacteristic mistakes; getting a sinking feeling. For the first time in over a decade I no longer expect us to win no matter what.

Some bad drops and 14 penalties for 106 yards, very sloppy.

I'd still fancy us at home against anyone but it's hard to see us winning on the road in the playoffs.

I can't understand the play calling atball this year. Forcing a running game when it's not working, constantly puttting Brady in 3rd and long situations. Ignoring Gordon and Gronk in the red zone. Disappearance of Dorsett and Hogan.

This has been one of the most frustrating seasons o can remember, no identity on Offense at all. Actually think the defense has been much better this year. They gave us more than enough chances last night to take control of the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Crap game. The flag happy refs (when they felt like throwing a flag) made crap of it. Granted, a lot were pre snap so definitley flagged, but some of them were ridiculous calls that either made a mess of our drive or kept theirs going.

Ultimately though, it was a poor showing. The ints from Harmon barely kept the defence ticking over. Their third string RB ran all over us. Scoring 10 points will win you the square sum of F all. For a potential top seed team, they really dont look like one. The offence really is really not clicking. Genuinely wouldnt surprise me to see Gronk retire this off season. He looks bet.

Its not the first time I've written off the Patriots, but before it was more in haste and frustration and early in the season, this time it is more that I dont see where the improvements can come from and we are in the back straight leading into playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

We're really looking poor lately.
    I had hoped for the surge in form come december, but we appear to be in full decline...

Interestingly though, my latest playoff prediction has us keeping the 2nd seed, with KC dropping from 1st.

I think Houston could drop one away to Philly,
    LA will win out
    KC could drop away to Seahawks
    If we can win our last 2 then, we keep our bye and have a chance to make the AFC game.

If we have to go on the road for the divisional, I cant see us winning.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    Crap game. The flag happy refs (when they felt like throwing a flag) made crap of it. Granted, a lot were pre snap so definitley flagged, but some of them were ridiculous calls that either made a mess of our drive or kept theirs going.

Ultimately though, it was a poor showing. The ints from Harmon barely kept the defence ticking over. Their third string RB ran all over us. Scoring 10 points will win you the square sum of F all. For a potential top seed team, they really dont look like one. The offence really is really not clicking. Genuinely wouldnt surprise me to see Gronk retire this off season. He looks bet.

Its not the first time I've written off the Patriots, but before it was more in haste and frustration and early in the season, this time it is more that I dont see where the improvements can come from and we are in the back straight leading into playoffs.

There doesn't seem to be any fire to them this year. Brady hasn't seemed like his usual, Terminator self. I'd agree on Gronk, seems to be devoid of energy and personality. Saddening to see.

bruschi wrote: »
    When you look at the main playmakers, has age/injury just caught up on them?
    • Brady isn't the problem, and the pens/drops just made it far more difficult. But he is 41yrs old; there has to be some drop in his play.
    • Edelman has dropped some really bad ones this year. He's 32, had a year out with injury, missed the opening 4 games. Those 3rd and 8 pickups he got so often aren't there as much.
    • Gronk may very well retire in the off season. He's just a regular TE at this stage. He's 29, but when you go through his injury record, he's closer to 39. He doesn't owe the Pats anything, and maybe should consider his long term health.
    Brady, Gronk, Edelman. At the heart of everything good for a number of years, but it can't keep going forever.

And it's not like we were beaten by a high flying team. Pitt did a lot to help us last night. 5 loses, all away from the comforts of home. We don't look like a tough team. Maybe we go on a playoff run, but right now, it's more likely we go one and done (esp if away).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

[*]Gronk may very well retire in the off season. He's just a regular TE at this stage. He's 29, but when you go through his injury record, he's closer to 39. He doesn't owe the Pats anything, and maybe should consider his long term health.
    I agree with everything bar Gronk, he's still elite but is double teamed on every play. Even with that some of his grabs were sensational last night. He had one towards the end last night with two defenders on top of him. I think you're right he may retire, but we'll never get a TE to occupy 2 defenders every play (even at 29)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I agree with everything bar Gronk, he's still elite but is double teamed on every play. Even with that some of his grabs were sensational last night. He had one towards the end last night with two defenders on top of him. I think you're right he may retire, but we'll never get a TE to occupy 2 defenders every play (even at 29)

he only had 2 receptions last night. Granted, the one you say was impressive, but it was a standard catch with a great physical effort to get over the first down marker. but even allowing for double teaming or whatever, it was never an issue before, or times when he is left one on one on the outside, he isnt coming up with the goods anymore.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    bruschi kinda covered it. I don't think you can put Gronk in the elite category right now. His average yards is still very healthy, but catches are down, TDs are down, and just looking at him it's not the same.
    Maybe, a bit like Brady, it's not all Gronk's fault for his drop in production (I mentioned Edelman, but across the board we are down offensively this year). And the lack of any other TE option has definitely not helped; Hollister and Allen has been a total non factor.

Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Michel, Gordon and White are not the problem. The offensive line is the problem, it appears the only thing they can do consistently is given up penalties.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Michel, Gordon and White are not the problem. The offensive line is the problem, it appears the only thing they can do consistently is given up penalties.

True, but at the same time Brady in previous years was able to plaster over a lot of issues.
    This year he's afraid of hits; he's throwing off the back foot more, he's running away from pressure in the pocket, he's forcing throws.
    It used to be that he would stand tall under the pressure and make the play, take the hit.
    In the past teams had to try and get to Brady with a 4 man rush, blitzing him was suicide.
    This year blitzes have him spooked, even when the O Line does make a block he's still rushing his plays.

Take that final play in the Steelers game for example, TJ Watt came around the corner and fell over. He was no where near Brady, but Brady decided to throw the ball while turning his back to Watt and went to the ground to protect himself from a hit that never came.
    Not saying he would have completed had he stayed on his feet, but younger Brady would never have been thinking about protecting himself until after he got his throw off.

BizzyC wrote: »
    True, but at the same time Brady in previous years was able to plaster over a lot of issues.
    This year he's afraid of hits; he's throwing off the back foot more, he's running away from pressure in the pocket, he's forcing throws.
    It used to be that he would stand tall under the pressure and make the play, take the hit.
    In the past teams had to try and get to Brady with a 4 man rush, blitzing him was suicide.
    This year blitzes have him spooked, even when the O Line does make a block he's still rushing his plays.

Take that final play in the Steelers game for example, TJ Watt came around the corner and fell over. He was no where near Brady, but Brady decided to throw the ball while turning his back to Watt and went to the ground to protect himself from a hit that never came.
    Not saying he would have completed had he stayed on his feet, but younger Brady would never have been thinking about protecting himself until after he got his throw off.
    All this is true; but even then, Brady isn't the issue for the team. He's made the Pro Bowl (bit surprised), which made be more reflective of the lack of quality QB play from others (although Luck might have made it).
    In terms of OL, Brady has been sacked only 19 times. It's not the only barometer for judging pressure (esp as Brady is good to throw it away to avoid sacks), but he's ranked 28th, so it's not the OL that's been the problem.

2 Patriots on the Pro-Bowl, Brady and Gilmore.

I think Brady is lucky to get on it tbh, I thought Luck and the 2 others deserved it. That being said it's not a major injustice.

Gilmore (imo of course) thoroughly deserved it. Himself and Jackson have come in for a lot of praise after the Steelers game, effectively shutting down Brown and Schuster. Only disappointing thing for Gilmore is that he wasn't named a starter.
    I really think Gilmore should be 1st team All-Pro, but it's a toss-up between him, Fuller & Jones imo. He should at least make 2nd team after the season he's had. The only Patriot in with a shout which is very disappointing.

• Advertisement

I thought Brady was fortunate TBH, Watson and Luck were more deserving this season.

It's a sad thing alright that Gilmore is the only Patriot I can look at and think it's reasonable for him to be an All-Pro player.

Advertisement