Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worth retrofitting UFH in old house? (existing concrete floor)

• 14-08-2018 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm planning to replace an oil boiler with ASHP, I gather they work better with UFH. Any idea of cost for a typical 3 bed semi-detached house? 110 sq m total? The floor is concrete not floor boards.

I get that rads will still work but I'm concerned about heat loss through the hard core concrete floor. Or should I just install carpet with underlay for thermal insulation?

I will be doing external insulation etc too

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

bluesteel wrote: »
    I'm concerned about heat loss through the hard core concrete floor. Or should I just install carpet with underlay for thermal insulation?

Are you taking the EWI to foundation level (or below frost level)?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

I haven't decided yet! Would be interested in pros and cons or general ballpark costs if anyone has experience.

I'm now being advised that since the air will circulate in the hollow blocks internal insulation is better. I will have DCV to eliminate condensation risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

What did you do in the end?

What did you do in the end?

not done yet but I will most likely put them in. Doing the SEAI Deep Retrofit; there's no insulation in the floor. At All. (just Hardcore) Which means some digging up is needed so I feel I might as well put in UFH seeing as the rads/plumbing needs to be ripped up the extra cost isn't huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

not done yet but I will most likely put them in. Doing the SEAI Deep Retrofit; there's no insulation in the floor. At All. (just Hardcore) Which means some digging up is needed so I feel I might as well put in UFH seeing as the rads/plumbing needs to be ripped up the extra cost isn't huge

Hey, just wondering what size/style of house you are doing the deep retrofit in and what kind of upfront cost you were quoted.

thanks

booooonzo wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering what size/style of house you are doing the deep retrofit in and what kind of upfront cost you were quoted.

thanks

it's a fairly typical 4 Bed Semi;

still waiting for a detailed breakdown so no contracts signed etc. Doing a small extension too so that's delayed it a little

the cost of UFH over rads is about 6k pre-grant - based on 70m2 or so

it's a fairly typical 4 Bed Semi;

still waiting for a detailed breakdown so no contracts signed etc. Doing a small extension too so that's delayed it a little

the cost of UFH over rads is about 6k pre-grant - based on 70m2 or so

Cheers, were you charged to do the detailed pricing?

I was quoted €1000 for a detailed costings.

Cheers, were you charged to do the detailed pricing?

I was quoted €1000 for a detailed costings.

I haven't been told so; for the UFH calcs he gave me a rough cost; working out the cost per sq m2. Has promised me a detailed breakdown I think

I haven't been told so; for the UFH calcs he gave me a rough cost; working out the cost per sq m2. Has promised me a detailed breakdown I think

Got detailed breakdown for project (under Deep Retrofit).

Will give precise breakdown if you need.

Budget is shattered though.

We'd some extra work specced (extension/ and opening up wall) which will have to go.

Some other non energy work needs to stay but I'm still trying to decide if I should abandon the scheme

• Advertisement

Got detailed breakdown for project (under Deep Retrofit).

Will give precise breakdown if you need.

Budget is shattered though.

We'd some extra work specced (extension/ and opening up wall) which will have to go.

Some other non energy work needs to stay but I'm still trying to decide if I should abandon the scheme

that would be very interesting to see, thank you. Im in the same boat and trying to weigh up if going with the scheme would be worth it at all. were you hoping the schemes work could add much to the resale value of your home?

that would be very interesting to see, thank you. Im in the same boat and trying to weigh up if going with the scheme would be worth it at all. were you hoping the schemes work could add much to the resale value of your home?

I'll see what I can post; send me your email by PM?

I wasn't really thinking about adding value as such The house woulnd't be very comfortale at the moment; it's a family home so the future value is almost irrelevant though naturally I can't help think of similar new/more modern houses and I'll try to to spend much more than they would have cost

My thinking was that there are requirements that I'm not "sold on" in the scheme (Heat pump; PV) - the extra cost of these is balanced by the government aid for DCV/insulation/UFH.

almost feeling sick at the moment; maybe I was hopeless naive. There's stuff like new skirting that the QS has down that I hadn't thought about.

I'll go through the costs with an engineer relative over Christmas :mad:

EDIT: Went through the Excel estimate and stripped out some opes we had requested and it's brought the cost down a bit; I've got quotes for windows myself so I know they are over budgeted.

Do I say "thanks, but I'll get my mate to do the non essential work (skirting boards/doors)"?

Thanks bluesteel I'll pm you my email now

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Buddy83

Hi Bluesteel,

We are currently at the start of the application process for the deep retrofit. How did you find the detailed cost breakdown you received compared to separate individual quotes (if you got any?). I'm worried the providers might potentially be over inflating prices on the back of the grant. Also did you have to pay anything for the initial on site visit form the provider or for the subsequent costings? The service provider I have scheduled to come out hasn't mentioned anything....... Im starting to wonder if its worth actually going with the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Buddy83 wrote: »
    Hi Bluesteel,

We are currently at the start of the application process for the deep retrofit. How did you find the detailed cost breakdown you received compared to separate individual quotes (if you got any?). I'm worried the providers might potentially be over inflating prices on the back of the grant. Also did you have to pay anything for the initial on site visit form the provider or for the subsequent costings? The service provider I have scheduled to come out hasn't mentioned anything....... Im starting to wonder if its worth actually going with the scheme

What website are you applying through?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Buddy83

Hi Calahonda52, Do you mean service provider company? Ive contacted 8 different companies registered with the SEAI for the deep retrofit scheme, 3 came back saying they are at full capacity and not taking any new applications, 3 have yet to respond, The last 2 that had capacity, i sent additionally requested info to them and subsequently only 1 of those companies followed up with me. So we are running with -snip-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

I'll see what I can post; send me your email by PM?

I wasn't really thinking about adding value as such The house woulnd't be very comfortale at the moment; it's a family home so the future value is almost irrelevant though naturally I can't help think of similar new/more modern houses and I'll try to to spend much more than they would have

My thinking was that there are requirements that I'm not "sold on" in the scheme (Heat pump; PV) - the extra cost of these is balanced by the government aid for DCV/insulation/UFH.

almost feeling sick at the moment; maybe I was hopeless naive. There's stuff like new skirting that the QS has down that I hadn't thought about.

I'll go through the costs with an engineer relative over Christmas :mad:

EDIT: Went through the Excel estimate and stripped out some opes we had requested and it's brought the cost down a bit; I've got quotes for windows myself so I know they are over budgeted.

Do I say "thanks, but I'll get my mate to do the non essential work (skirting boards/doors)"?

I’m in a similar position. Bought two cheap houses in the depths of the recession with the intention of doing them up. My head is melted if I’m doing the right thing. Everyone has a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Also just out of interest. What’s this deep retrofit scheme ye are mentioning. I’m gonna google it now but would like some real life info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eeighgn

Hi Bluesteel, everyone
    just wondering if you (or anyone else on the thread) eventually went through with it and if so how did you get on with everything?
    I'm looking at the SEAI grans for insulation (attic and external wrap), AWHP, heat controls and PV which is looks like a grant of €14.8k. But I don't know what the overall installation prices are like, are they 1:1, 2:1 or more? I have a detached house ~200m2 with preinstalled UFH. If anyone has quoted prices I'd love to see them.
    Also considering holding out for the proposed new microgen and deep retrofit 20yr repayment schemes. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

eeighgn wrote: »
    Also considering holding out for the proposed new microgen and deep retrofit 20yr repayment schemes. Any opinions?

It might be a year or more before any changes to the scheme get implemented but I think it could be worth waiting for some people. The devil will be in the detail though, all we know right now is that the Govt. are considering a retrofit scheme whereby you pay back the costs over 15 or 20 years, we dont know the associated interest rates to such a long term loan. Nothing is concrete but there does seem to be a recognition that they need to change the scheme to make it available to more people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement