Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

silverharp wrote: »
    lovely commute in today, a couple of colleagues caught me in the lift and said I looked too happy :D

The light in the sky (in Dublin City Centre) was rather fetching around 8.00am.

I did a brisk 42km yesterday after plenty pints on Saturday night. Freshened me up no end!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got a puncture on my way to meet RobFowl to give him some cycling books. New tube etc. When I arrived home later, the rear wheel was basically about to come off. Think the skewer might have worked itself loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

After 6 solid days on the turbo i managed to get outside yesterday for 3.5 hrs.

It wasn't the best day, odd drop of rain with an awful head & crosswind for the first 2 hrs but nothing could take they joy of the road away from me. Indoor training is great but you do need to get the outdoor release at least once a week.

Roll on Spring!!!

dahat wrote: »
    After 6 solid days on the turbo i managed to get outside yesterday for 3.5 hrs.

It wasn't the best day, odd drop of rain with an awful head & crosswind for the first 2 hrs but nothing could take they joy of the road away from me. Indoor training is great but you do need to get the outdoor release at least once a week.

Roll on Spring!!!

Only eleven more days to the shortest day of the year and it'll all start swinging around again. Spring is my favourite time of the year!

Only eleven more days to the shortest day of the year and it'll all start swinging around again. Spring is my favourite time of the year!

Oh yes, cannot wait tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Coming up to Sally Gap this morning and thinking I had only seen 5 cars since the Viewing Point when a Grey Line tour bus squeezed by me. No warning and I hadn't heard a thing possibly due to wind noise. As soon as he passed me he indicated left and turned down towards Luggala. Could he not have waited?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

First crash in a few years this morning. A combination of putting new brake blocks on last night and a slippery road. Only damage done was to my front light and my pride but I reckon my knee will be sore later. Shout out to the security guard in James's Hospital (this happened in the hospital grounds) who stopped to see if I was OK - cheers bro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This years goal of 6000km completed today with a fast 30km, nice hour outside
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2011570688

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that was a nice hill climb challenge up the strand road this morning.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    First crash in a few years this morning. A combination of putting new brake blocks on last night and a slippery road. Only damage done was to my front light and my pride but I reckon my knee will be sore later. Shout out to the security guard in James's Hospital (this happened in the hospital grounds) who stopped to see if I was OK - cheers bro.

Well I thought I got away with it but when I got home last night I noticed the front derailer cable was hanging loose. The derailer itself looks fine and I rarely change the gear I'm in on the chain-rings but I'll have to replace the cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Bloody horrible weather out today. Had only a 4 km trip, but unpleasant does not cover it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was debating whether to cycle this morning or not, but decided to give it a lash. The wind was bad, but it was bearable coming down from north Dublin into the city. At the coast the wind was blowing easterly and I was leaning into it the whole way in. At some points I was at a severe angle. But all good. Not looking forward to the spin home!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Its mad windy out there!
    Last night was almost blown back up the railway bridge in baldoyle. I think i was at 12kph going downhill...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I was debating whether to cycle this morning or not, but decided to give it a lash. The wind was bad, but it was bearable coming down from north Dublin into the city. At the coast the wind was blowing easterly and I was leaning into it the whole way in. At some points I was at a severe angle. But all good. Not looking forward to the spin home!

should be more behind us on the way home, it was a cross headwind for me much of the way in along the coast this morning and I know what you mean about leaning sideways into it!
    amazing how often I find that the wind changes direction around the wooden bridge, I'm sure it's more to do with how the path turns but I almost always notice a change around there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wind looks like it will be holding steady from the south east. i'm hoping for some PRs on the way home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

should be more behind us on the way home, it was a cross headwind for me much of the way in along the coast this morning and I know what you mean about leaning sideways into it!
    amazing how often I find that the wind changes direction around the wooden bridge, I'm sure it's more to do with how the path turns but I almost always notice a change around there!

No Bull Island to shield you after the bridge heading south, but the change in direction factors too. Usually we're battered from the south westerly so the fun only begins after the wooden bridge!

wind looks like it will be holding steady from the south east. i'm hoping for some PRs on the way home.

I think that will be in my favour going home.

I was down in Galway yesterday, i don't think i'd like to be commuting in that every day! :eek::eek:

no PRs for me. i was making great progress on the strand road till i hit heavy traffic. it's a busy night out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

I think that will be in my favour going home.

I was down in Galway yesterday, i don't think i'd like to be commuting in that every day! :eek::eek:

I do - it's great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I didn't feel like I got the payback I deserved this evening after this morning's battering :mad:

• Advertisement

I didn't feel like I got the payback I deserved this evening after this morning's battering :mad:

Me neither! No where near my personal best times on my commute home. Weekend looking incredibly bleak too. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Had to put in 30 ish km on the bullitt in and out of town with one kid.
    Wasnt too bad all in, but wet gear reached its limits and sprung a few leaks.
    Assist makes massive difference with the headwinds

Had to go back out to collect a parcel from an post, so 40k in the end.

just 47km this morning, a bit cold and damp, but i took a turn off the naul-balbriggan road looking for the eastern approach to snowtown, and it's lovely down there. you're cycling along a river valley that seems to head for stamullen, for a few km.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

j... and it's lovely down there. you're cycling along a river valley that seems to head for stamullen, for a few km.
    Mercian Pro refers to that area as "The Happy Valley".

i didn't do the full length of it - got as far as the bridge, just past the left turn for snowtown, and then headed back up snowtown.

3. 5hrs getting well n truly soaked through.

As I was on my own it actually made it some bit managable as I could stay on a pace to keep myself some bit warm through cadence. It never got above 3 degrees with some quality rain jackets left at home as normal. The Galibier Mistral did the best it could but even that gave up eventually.

102km at 29.2 avg and blue skies everywhere now to rub it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

i didn't do the full length of it - got as far as the bridge, just past the left turn for snowtown, and then headed back up snowtown.

I think the first time I discovered that valley was on a sunny day in April or May when the whitethorn was in bloom. It was stunning especially the section you rode from the bridge to the mill. The Delvin River forms the county boundary from west of Naul to Gormanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

3 hours 20 to go 60km but it had 1200m of climbing. Great day out with the club followed by tea coffee and treats in the clubhouse.

We climbed Bohernabreena to military road, descended sticking lane then went back up to view point via crush road, back down to mount Venus, across the back of Marlay and up The hill past stackstown as far as the masts in Ticknock. Three big climbs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Managed to get out on Saturday and Sunday, soaked on Saturday and about 44km
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2017961996

Sunday was cold but dry and headed out through Dunsany on to Doreys Forge through Moynalvey and up Drumlargan hill towards Kilcock for a coffee. 52km in total
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2019788660

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Sunday was one of those days when the cycling is simple pleasure. It was a grey enough day, with damp roads, but after the horror that was Saturday (well done, Borderfox!), every pedal stroke was fun fun fun. Out with the usual crew to Kilternan, Fox's, Viewing Point, Feather Beds, Glencree, wheeeee, Enniskerry (coffee), home. Short and sweet.

Sun came out later for a stroll on Bray Head with Mrs B. Home to hang up the decorations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement