Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bleeper-funding-drive-gets-wheels-in-motion-rnqrqs7cs TI says they are seeking online funding to incorporate electric bikes, doesn't say which company they'll use to raise the funds https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/barretts-bartra-backs-bleeperbike-as-it-seeks-to-introduce-electric-cycles-37220405.html this article says bartra is funding them too

ah here https://www.seedrs.com/bleeperbike

the second company to win a license still hasn't appeared and may well have shut up shop entirely https://twitter.com/ninjaXkiller97/status/1070175289710383106 how did they get the license?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ofo are on the brink collapse https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-20/bike-share-pioneer-ofo-flirted-with-bankruptcy-as-cash-dried-up

so who else might take up that second license there must be putting it out for somebody else to use by now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Is anyone actively using these? Was tempted to imbibe for a short trip on Friday but the monthly cost plus actual hire cost is very prohibitive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dubrov

You pay a monthly price or a per ride price, not both.
    I think you get 2 free rides when you sign up so you can try it out to see if you like it.

The bikes aren't great but may do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I used them for a while. But they are expensive, and often there are none where I need them. I've stopped using them lately. I just bring my own bike instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,696 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tried to use one the other day as I had some credit on my account - could not get the bike to unlock and had to give up in the end.

they're also a dog to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

They're taking up a lot of space in the bike parking racks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Actually very surprised these were let in......

Bike racks taken over in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

They may be an awful ride, but I quite like them for a quick pop across town for less than the bus fair. I only use them sporadically though, I'm not sure I'd be a huge fan if I was relying on them for a commute. Terribly slow and always seem to find the one empty rack when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Actually very surprised these were let in......

Bike racks taken over in many places.
    My understanding is they have to fund additional racks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They've paid DCC but DCC is slowwwwly rolling out new sheffields.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Used one for the first time today.
    My normal commuter was in the work carpark due to after work pints. So I grabbed one of these lads.
    A lot better than I was expected. yes they are a bit harder work than the Dublin Bikes, But still way better than no bike at all. I wasn't a lather of
    sweat and froth when I got to work or anything like that.

7km journey cost me 80 cent and saved me about 25 minutes of walk time to the nearest Dublin Bike stand.
    So on balance if you don't have your normal bike this is a reasonable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Used them for the first time a few weeks ago. Simple journey from Baggott Street Bridge to portobello Bridge.

I'm well used to cycling Dublin Bikes but these were by far the worst thing I've ever cycled. There was a headwind but the bicycle was a piece of crap. Maybe its because I'm tall but I did adjust the saddle however it still felt I was going nowhere. Ended the journey much sweatier than expected and disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Used them for the first time a few weeks ago. Simple journey from Baggott Street Bridge to portobello Bridge.

I'm well used to cycling Dublin Bikes but these were by far the worst thing I've ever cycled. There was a headwind but the bicycle was a piece of crap. Maybe its because I'm tall but I did adjust the saddle however it still felt I was going nowhere. Ended the journey much sweatier than expected and disappointed
    I posted a positive review sometime ago based on a successful journey I had , once. Every journey since had been a disaster .
    Someone actually stopped me one day to tell me that my rear wheel looked like it would fall off. The bikes are not great to be begin with but would be slightly tolerable if they were maintained . The unfortunate truth to me is that it’s a rubbish service . I’d happily pay more money per journey for a service that worked but is hard to see this company lasting as things stand .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Used three of these last summer as I happened to be up in Dublin every Saturday for a number of weeks and wanted stuff to do,

Positives for me is less money and work to use them then a Dublin bike,

However as I cycled up and down the Phoenix park I could only describe them as like cycling a tank, they are not fast and while I'm fit Dublin bike users were able to pass me with ease.
    Still, I think there is a place for them in the city and anything that encourages people to cycle is a plus.

At the time I did find locating one when I went into the city a pain, the map wasn't 100% accurate a showed bikes in places where they didn't exist.

Still very hit and miss getting them to unlock. I had to go out to Rathmines to pick up my car last week, you can't drop a DB in Rathmines so I figured I'd use Bleeper. Tried 2 nearby bikes and neither of them would unlock for me, ended up taking a DB as far as the canal and then switching onto a Bleeper (finally found one that would unlock). The wider coverage area and flexibility in where you can drop them off is great, but you just can't rely on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Cabaal wrote: »
    ...and anything that encourages people to cycle is a plus.

Ironically, for those who don't own a bike, and who haven't ridden in years (and who therefore have no idea what a decent, modern bike is like), these sound like they might put people off cycling. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Used an Uber Jump bike when abroad the other day - think electric is a fantastic way to go for these shared bikes, 25kmh with no effort at all, but still feel much safer than one of those scooters

Used an Uber Jump bike when abroad the other day - think electric is a fantastic way to go for these shared bikes, 25kmh with no effort at all, but still feel much safer than one of those scooters

Bleepers proposed eBike wont be like them, they're offering so much range per charge that the assist will have to be turned down incredibly low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Anything that gets people cycling has to be promoted but there needs to be infrastructure. I wonder do the council charge the company much for a license?
    There is Completely insufficient bicycle parking across the county so a real pain to park these and they take up what little space there is to park a bike for everyone else. The various councils need to make space for bike parking, it has improved in some areas but still VERY poor.
    Personally I also think they are an eyesore and should at least be parked in designated areas.
    With proper government support these schemes could work really well but it is Shane Ross days, one of the main reasons to push for an election, he is holding the transport network back very badly!

work wrote: »
    Personally I also think they are an eyesore and should at least be parked in designated areas.

you're only supposed to park them at designated bike stands and in the new version of the app you have to take a photo to prove it. Bike parking always looks messy (there's usually at least one abandoned wreck); I don't think Bleeper are making it any worse.

Disappointing they are reducing their footprint, but I guess bikeshare works best in areas where you have a lot of people passing through who don't have their own bikes with them, which may not be the case in a lot of DLR.

loyatemu wrote: »
    you're only supposed to park them at designated bike stands and in the new version of the app you have to take a photo to prove it.

They arent enforcing it despite the picture step. Loads on poles and even outside the designated area. Pair dumped near me for days at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭buffalo

BleeperBike are expanding to include electric-assist bikes, along with another company called Moby:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/up-to-1-000-electric-bikes-to-be-available-for-hire-in-dublin-1.4137549

I'll be tempted to sign up to try these out, I haven't cycled an e-bike regularly so it's a nice chance to see what it's like around Dublin's few hills. Might see if I can set a PB up Howth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

buffalo wrote: »
    BleeperBike are expanding to include electric-assist bikes, along with another company called Moby:

Was in Phoenix Park yesterday and saw a few of the new Moby ebikes.
    4 ready to rent out at Castleknock gate.
    Looks like a soft start, as I don't see any advertising or news articles.

https://app.mobymove.com/

As anyone used them yet?
    How do they ride?

Advertisement