Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

coach22 wrote: »
    It looks too big to me. I have the proper bar fly one and the piece that holds it behind the face plate is much smaller than that

I don't get what you mean.

i fitted with shims as per picture and it just doesn't lock in, i wonder do the shims need to be sit in a recessed bolt hole rather than flush?

Can you upload closer pic's of the barfly one please? I was too stingy to pay €50 for one as the button clearance on the 520 was questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

dahat wrote: »
    I don't get what you mean.
    Sorry my mistake. I just seen the last picture now.the barfly mounts under the face plate so it's different.

Think I paid 35 for my one delivered from sigma sports. Works perfect with the 520

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I tried to fit one of these JRC FACEPLATE to my Fizik stem last night but when fitted as per instructions the bars were still slightly loose.

Maybe i did something wrong but what seemed an easy task become pure frustration as i started this 45mins before a club spin!!!!

I have a GUB version I bought on Aliexpress a year ago. I fitted it using the lower stem bolts not the top ones. It’s rock steady as are the bars.

In other news today I removed the 6800 crankset from my bike and cleaned and regreased the BB. I also removed the freewheel on my Fulcrum wheels and cleaned and lightly oiled the pawls. I swear to god the bike is easier to pedal now as the BB was installed 4 yrs ago and has never been touched since. It wasn’t that dirty but retaining nut on the NDS crank was stupidly tight which meant the crank arm was tightened too much against the bearing and so with it cleaned and the nut fitted only have tight the cranks spin backwards so much freer now.

I also lobbed 70mm off my Superzero seatpost, no point having dead weight on the bike when it’s not needed.

I have a GUB version I bought on Aliexpress a year ago. I fitted it using the lower stem bolts not the top ones. It’s rock steady as are the bars.

Did you need to use the shims? Set mine again and while it's tight now it looks just a fraction too far out.

Did you need to use the shims? Set mine again and while it's tight now it looks just a fraction too far out.

See below shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Removed a set of FSA Gossamer bars and changed to a set of ITM Triango ones, hopefully take some road buzz out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Borderfox wrote: »
    Removed a set of FSA Gossamer bars and changed to a set of ITM Triango ones, hopefully take some road buzz out

Double wrap your bar tape too. Works very well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lizard Skins 3.5mm tape on already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My saved from a skip felt is completely stripped down now, plan is to just clean everything up and replace all cables, chain and BB but now I'm thinking I might chop, weld n' single speed it. I have my Scott Speedster 40 if I need something with gears over the winter. I'm on the fence but my commute is only 6kms each way

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

My saved from a skip felt is completely stripped down now, plan is to just clean everything up and replace all cables, chain and BB but now I'm thinking I might chop, weld n' single speed it. I have my Scott Speedster 40 if I need something with gears over the winter. I'm on the fence but my commute is only 6kms each way

You shouldn't need to do any chopping to singlespeed it so long as you have a chain tensioner. There's a lot to be said for it in terms of ease of maintenance and if your commute is only 6km e/w you'll be laughing provided you choose the right gearing.

• Advertisement

Miklos wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to do any chopping to singlespeed it so long as you have a chain tensioner. There's a lot to be said for it in terms of ease of maintenance and if your commute is only 6km e/w you'll be laughing provided you choose the right gearing.

Thanks for that, I was doing this on a budget and can do the welding myself but having looked at chain tensioners they are fairly cheap. Gearing will also be whatever I can put together in the shed but if I need to change it down the line I will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Stripped down the Groupset off my old(now winter) bike to replace it with a new one, brakes were though to remove, the rest was fine

Next step is to clean the frame

Then put the new one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes I used the two spacer sleeves on mine. It sits perfectly in my opinion, not too far out or too near.

Yes I used the two spacer sleeves on mine. It sits perfectly in my opinion, not too far out or too near.

Managed to get this sorted, I was missing a washer that took some time to locate after I dropped it.
    I'm happy with the mount and will likely order another for the winter bike.

Managed to get this sorted, I was missing a washer that took some time to locate after I dropped it.
    I'm happy with the mount and will likely order another for the winter bike.

Any pics of it in situ with computer mounted?

Any pics of it in situ with computer mounted?

I can get a couple in the morning and upload here.

Two pictures attached as not set up to embed pictures on mobile.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had the great idea to change my stem. I've owned my Giant Contend for a year and a half and I've always felt it was too stretched out, no matter how I tried to get comfortable, it just wasn't happening. So I bought an identical Giant stem that was 20mm shorter. So off I went and popped it on last night, nice and easy... until this morning and I realised I was an idiot.

Of course, reducing the length of your stem also changes everything to do with your gears, as now all your gear cables are loose. I spent a good amount of time, and a lot of frustration trying to get everything lined up. All sorted now, but I haven't taken it for a test ride. Tomorrow will tell all.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

TTe7yfxl.jpg

GoPro Session 5 below my saddle.

Abus Bordo 6500 as a second lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

GoPro Session 5 below my saddle.

That looks excellent, reminds me I must do something similar with mine!

Fitted my new pedals while I wait for the shoes to arrive. Pity they don’t match the pattern on the crank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

AdrVLrhl.jpg

Added a Go Pro Session 5 on the front too, using a Recmounts Spacer mount and some Go Pro extensions. It's pretty crowded there and I think I'll have to buy a different extension to be able to angle my light properly. It's a Sinewave Beacon mounted with Additive Spacer One+One, which is also the bottle cage mount.

tAphxnvl.jpg

I'm also working on fitting a front basket so I can go to the supermarket after work. It's Sunlite Mesh basket with two cheap lights from dx.com (I think) on the front. The basket mount allowed the basket to hang too low and touch the wheel. I bent, hammered and cut the hooks to shorten it but I messed it a bit and it's not symmetrical anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Bought some SKS Bluemels mudguards for my road bike. Watched a video on how to fit them and it seemed straight forward enough. As always seems to be the case, I ran into difficulty. The rear mudguard uses a bridge stay to keep it clear of the wheel but my brakes are bolted on with some sort of hollow threaded bolt with no obvious way (to me) to fasten it on. I decided to unbolt it and try to fit a longer one only for me to mess things up, a spring and some wee black thing to jump out of the brakes and them clamping so tight the wheel cannot fit back between the pads.

Got frustrated and just went to the bike shop to get it sorted. He straight away pointed out the stay could have been fitted the other side of the bolt which I hadn't even considered for some bizarre reason.

Bike maintenance really frustrates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Converted my Thorn tourer to single speed this evening after the rear mech wrapped itself around the axle. I suspect it was due to a very badly worn chain that I've been meaning to change.

New mech in the post...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And of course my first dark commute home, my big LED on the front failed as I pulled into the house. It's externally powered with a battery pack, but the cable in the light had frayed. Had to cut the cable and solder it back to the chip inside it. Runs grand again, but we'll see for how long. I do have a backup and bright light for the unlit roads in case it fails at the worst spot, but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I replaced my bottom bracket on the commuter and was shocked at how much water ran out of it!
    Also swapped the wheels from another bike to this one, so had to transfer over the cassette and tyres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Gave my commutter a thorough clean and degrease, but kicked over the bike cleaner that I had and most of it ended up all over the ground. Thankfully it was just the dealz stuff, but it must have been loose from new.

Swapped out my chainset from 105 to a Tiagra (all 10 speed anyway). Need to replace jockey wheels too. Replaced brake pads, and in doing so discovered the little screws in the shoes are made of cheese or something.

Nothing major there really. Thought about changing the BB while I was at it, but will do that in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

finally cleared the shed out so set up one bike on the turbo for when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No spin during a storm warning so got to a few bits.

1. Older Ultegra STI eaten its cable

Pulling and prying involved to extricate it. Not sure what model/series it is but the opening at the side of the shifting rotors is quite tight compared to some others. Got her there in the end. A job I'm well familiar with from the Tiagra bike.

ENejPchm.jpg
    (Sorry for the sh1te photo)

2. Cleaning and what it uncovered

Jockey wheel somehow got a big gash in it, think it wants to be harry potter. Due to other issues its time for a full new RD anyways. Thatll go on once delivered.

a5srwaal.jpg

3. New pads
    Done. Frankly the old ones were into danger territory. Tut tut me.

4. Tyre
    Went through it with a drill bit(lumber) to pull out glass etc. Armadillos are kings. Plenty of glass "balls". They'd been in there long enough to be rounded and smoothed off. Kevlar doing its job. Unfortunately theres a gash thats elongated so time to refresh.

August 17 -> December 18. Daily usage in and out of the city with all the glass etc that entails.

Added a Go Pro Session 5 on the front too...

How do you find that for vibration? I run a Session on mounts in similar locations but one is just in front of the bar with the other being about 5cm forward. The forward one appears to suffer a fair bit more vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i added a session 4 to the fork of the bullitt. video is pretty smooth, but the lens is pointing upwards so theres a lot of sky in the shot

JF3vYZkl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

site_owner wrote: »
    i added a session 4 to the fork of the bullitt. video is pretty smooth, but the lens is pointing upwards so theres a lot of sky in the shot

That might cause issues on sunny days. Can you make your own mount and attach it to the bolt on the show in the photo?

Advertisement