Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Flowers/Wholesale Flowers Dublin

• 07-04-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey, has anyone in the Dublin area experience of DIY bridal bouquets and button holes? I helped with DIY flowers for a wedding a few years ago but it was in a different city where we knew a supplier.

I'm not looking to do anything extravagant and am confident of being able to do it, but any hints or tips would be appreciated! I'm doing it not only to save a butt load of money but because it was so lovely and fun to do the days before the previous wedding :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I got my table/room flowers in Smithfield market. The different suppliers can vary pretty widely in price so phone around. I went with Joseph something and sons. I have never tried to make a bouquet so am no hel there but Pinterest could definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Resurrecting this thread, since we don't seem to have a flower one!

I plan on doing our flowers, very very basic, just baby's breath and a few sprigs of something else here or there. Can anyone recommend where to find baby's breath in Dublin, and what type of price I should be expecting? I'd like to do trial a bouquet, button hole, and centrepiece this side of Christmas but other than "Smithfield", I have no knowledge of where to look and what prices.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

The prices can vary hugely from supplier to supplier. I remember sitting down to work out the cost of buying flowers and it was horrific. We wanted something quite simple and actually ended up getting most of the 'flowers' in supermarkets, such as Aldi, M&S, Tesco and SuperValu. It worked out massively cheaper, probably less than one third the cost of buying them elsewhere. We were lucky to have greenery at home that we could use.

Re gypsophila: We also used it, and I'm pretty sure we managed to pick it up in one of the supermarkets, I just can't remember which one as I bought flowers in so many.

Thanks so much for the info convert, did you do up bouquets and buttonholes? How far in advance did you buy them? I don't want things to wilt and I also don't know how far in advance we could "arrange" them. I've read up on it but it's nice to hear from someone directly!

The wedding was on a Friday. so we got the flowers on the Wednesday and arranged them on the Thursday. They were still perfect on the Sunday.

Yep, we did the bouquets and buttonholes, though did them the day before, and someone recommended we put them in a plastic box overnight in the fridge to help keep them look fresh.

But I would say plan in advance, do some research and tests as to what you want to do for the wedding, and see what you think. It gives you an idea of what it's going to look like and you can move things around/change it if you don't think it works. It also helps if you take some photos and then look at them - you see if from a different perspective and sometimes a little differently to what you thought they'd look like.

• Advertisement

That's such useful info, thank you!! My plan is to try it out over Christmas/early in the new year, defo don't want to have a last minute panic because there's some small thing I haven't thought of. Did you find buttonholes fiddly to do? Do you have any pictures that you would share?

I have some of the buttonholes and bouquets which I can share now, but I'm waiting for the photos of the 'main' flowers from photographer. And they weren't too fiddly, but they were pretty simple so didn't require huge amounts of work. And a really good pin or two!!!

Here's one of the boutonnieres for the groomsmen. Trying to get a decent one of the groom's. We went for yellow instead of the red, jsut to differentiate a little.

That's beautiful and looks so profesh! Thanks so much for sharing! Did you use a tutorial or are you naturally crafty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I know someone who got hers from a place in Wicklow called the Little Irish Flower Farm, then made bouquets, buttonholes and church flowers herself. Flowers were lovely, but getting it all ready in time for the wedding was a lot of work and took longer than expected. If you do a practice run, time yourself and see if it's doable for you, keeping in mind that you may have lots of other stuff to sort out on the day before your wedding.

• Advertisement

I had a look at some photos for ideas of what we liked, and then worked around what was feasible and nice. And then, as always, there are youtube videos, etc. or guidelines online.

Working on timings is also good, and it's worth checking with your venue are you restricted to any times the day before when you can go in and set up. Depending on the venue, and your chosen flowers, you'll need to allow at least half a day. And if you're arranging at the venue, don't forget to allow time for bringing the flowers in, setting them up, bringing out everything not used, and tidying the place after.

Advertisement