Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The annual Norseman lottery thread

Options
  • 22-10-2018 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

So it's that time of the year again, Norseman lottery is opening soon. I think I have 3 years of entries built up, I thought they were getting rid of that but they mention it on the site. Getting more and more exposure so harder and harder to get in. For me this would be a great year for it so fingers crossed.

https://nxtri.com/race-info/the-draw/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Im going in again this year. Hopefully bringing back paying for the lotto slots will reduce the entry numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

why are people so focused on this race ? I wonder this every year given that there is so many alternatives to this race . is it the coolness factor ?

its obviously a great race in great landscape but this ....

https://www.islxtri.com/

for instance is as least as beautiful a good bit harder and you could enter on the spot ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

its all about pr.. norseman have great pr..

i hadnt heard of the iceland race until you posted.. and id imagine most
    people here hadnt either ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Probably some kind of Boston marathon effect going on in that people want what is difficult to have!

Also, their PR around jumping off a ferry somehow sucks us into the story....

woody1 wrote: »
    its all about pr.. norseman have great pr..

i hadnt heard of the iceland race until you posted.. and id imagine most
    people here hadnt either ..

I would imagine most people have seen this
    http://xtriworldtour.com/

https://www.k226.com/events/events.aspx there is plenty of outside the box races too.

it strikes me to be quite ironic that people looking for the "extreme " want it delivered on a fancy shiny pr machine plate.

originally I would have thought people looking for those races are looking for the antidope of ironman. but i see that you are right when i think about it . ( for the first time i udnerstand thos lady going to mount everest with a hair dryer magazines etc etc )

for myself i find the idea of crew supported races wrong. you want to go to the nature and what do you get is 250 mostly mad drivers that support athletes and cause havoc on the bike course and destroy , what i think they are about ( i have no issues on the run course with support runners in difficult of road terrain ) but the support cars on tarmac roads i find really really annoying . it would be way better to have 1 or two aidstations and 2-3 mechanic cars.

but i guess its the same that most people seem to like visitor centres at beautiful locations that ruin those beautyful locations with huge car parks just beside those great locations so they dont have to walk more than 2 minutes.

its an intersting paradox. easy extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Why does anybody want to do any race? Your reasons for doing a race can be very different than someone else's. You say yourself,

'its obviously a great race in great landscape but this ....'

Is that not good enough a reason to want to do it? Yep there may be tougher races and nicer races, but that can be said for any race. It has a bit of history, looks tough, and is different, that's good enough for me. They have definitely built up a brand and an awareness and that helps but that's what every race trys to do.

joey100 wrote: »
    Why does anybody want to do any race? Your reasons for doing a race can be very different than someone else's. You say yourself,

'its obviously a great race in great landscape but this ....'

Is that not good enough a reason to want to do it? Yep there may be tougher races and nicer races, but that can be said for any race. It has a bit of history, looks tough, and is different, that's good enough for me. They have definitely built up a brand and an awareness and that helps but that's what every race trys to do.

iam not quite sure what you are saying . naturally many people have differetn reasons to race.

thats defo a good enough reason ( which i highlighted) BUT

its exactly my point there is many great races apart form that one .

but if people dont get a slot for the market leader they often dont get to the other race off the same genres

or in other words out of approx 12 people i know that enter norsemaqn lottery now for quite a while only one person has done a triathlon of that genres, after failing to get an entry for the style of race he wanted to do . which leads me to the overall conclusion ( and iam sure differetn people have different reasons) its only hype and coolness people want to enter ( and no issue with that it just suprises me )

to repeat what i dont quite get. if i want to do a race of a certain stlye and i dont get a entry i find another race of that style that does what i want . ( and iam not saying that any style of race is better)

but if i entered the norseman lottery for 3 or 4 years and got no entry i would have definitely have done celtman swissman edinburgh to ben nevis etc etc

and the other thing i was trying to say. I would have thought that people that enter those races dont want it easy and are not too influenced by brand and marketing, and are prepared to search and go the extra mile to do a stlye of racing they want to do.

but i guess all the replies so far proved me wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Did anyone get a slot?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

No I didn’t 4 from Ireland did though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Advertisement