Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any way of getting around the LC?

Options
  • 07-10-2018 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place but I thought you guys might know the most about this. Anyway guys this is my situation. I'm 19 and repeating my leaving cert. The first time I did it I entered 6th year and basically couldn't continue due to crippling anxiety, developed depression then stopped going in. I tried again this year but with homeschooling myself which I had some experience doing before in 5th year and maintaining decent grades but this time I'd even get an online course and everything. So long story short it isn't going well and I'm having panic attacks and everything again even despite being a lot better mentally. It's just the leaving cert that messes me up.

Anyway my question to you is is there any way of not doing the leaving and moving on in education? I mean I've heard some people talk about applying to plc courses and colleges in person can sometimes work without the lc if you explain to them your situation and basically smooth talk your way in. Would that be possible with my situation? Is it even a thing? If not then what else could I do?

Any ideas are welcome and I greatly appreciate you reading this :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apologies for you not getting a reply earlier.

Short answer, yes, it is possible to access the PLC route in your situation.

Longer answer (includes questions!)
    I hope you are getting medical help with your anxiety/depression.

If you are entered for the 2019 LC, would it be possible for you to just sit maybe one to three subjects, mostly to show yourself you are well able to manage it?

Apply to PLC courses and explain your situation. Maybe get your doctor or old school's careers person to write a letter for you. Talk openly in the interviews about difficulties you have faced.

The main thing is to get your mental health better. Whole new world out there after that. I know a year or two now seems like forever, but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BadgersAreNeat

spurious wrote: »
    Apologies for you not getting a reply earlier.

Short answer, yes, it is possible to access the PLC route in your situation.

Longer answer (includes questions!)
    I hope you are getting medical help with your anxiety/depression.

If you are entered for the 2019 LC, would it be possible for you to just sit maybe one to three subjects, mostly to show yourself you are well able to manage it?

Apply to PLC courses and explain your situation. Maybe get your doctor or old school's careers person to write a letter for you. Talk openly in the interviews about difficulties you have faced.

The main thing is to get your mental health better. Whole new world out there after that. I know a year or two now seems like forever, but it's not.

Thanks for replying and sorry for my own late reply I didn't think anyone would reply to this. All of the places doing qqi level 5 courses that I've called have all said that I need the leaving certificate. None of them even mentioned anything about getting to an interview stage or coming in to explain my situation. My mental health is better but I'm worried even if I go in for the LC that I'll be too pressured to do good and my school that I'm currently attending is a real bad source of anxiety for me even if I'm better and am getting good help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will all tell you that you need the LC. In fact in the majority of cases you need LC standard, which is not always the same thing.

I strongly recommend your careers person get in touch with some of the places you are considering. Make sure to go to their Open Days. Talk to the co-ordinator. Get your applications in early.

If you were to sit ONE LC subject that would help with later applications, it would be Maths, as this is where some PLC students fall short, without a pass in the LC, at OL if necessary.

Another long-term option is to wait til you are 23 and enter as a mature student. There are always ways round things for the vast majority of courses.

If you'd like to PM me the type of course you would eventually like to do in college, and your general area in the country, I can suggest some PLCs to take you on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

I agree with spurious. There are options but you need to be open and ask for help.

1. Try to take some LC subjects at OL, focus on maths and English, then on subjects you enjoy. Are you stronger in text-based subjects like history, geography or science-based ones?

2. Attend PLC open days and talk to the co-ordinators offer to provide proof of your condition, you may find it useful to bring a family or friend for moral support.

3. Contact the Adult Education Guidance Service in your local ETB, they also deal with early school leavers. It will really help you to talk to professionals, they will have met people in your situation and will be able to suggest options and routes to you.

If it helps last year I worked with a young woman whose story you could have written. Left school at the end of 5th year due to mental health issues. Then attended an FE college completed QQI level 4, moved to a pre-University science course, aced it and got an offer for a University course and in DIT. She cannot believe her how her life changed in 2 years.

Anything it possible, you made a good start posting here. Now write some emails and ask to make some appointments.

Best of luck

Cairdre

Advertisement