Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Struggles with front crawl and I have a 1,500 metre swim soon!

Options
  • 15-07-2018 1:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36

I can do the front crawl, but I'm not very relaxed when doing so. If taking in air every 6 strokes, I could do this 3-4 times (18-24 strokes) before finally just sticking my head up, which feels a lot better. So I wonder would it just be better to swim with my head up for 4 strokes (taking a nice long deep breath), and then just put the head down for say 10 strokes, and then repeating this? I feel better doing this, and I'd love to know if it's faster for me.

When I do it the correct way, it's always a question of how long will it last. I love the way when I start the swim, that I'm able to keep my head under for nearly 30 strokes while exhaling really slowly! But once I become tired, it seems that having my head under water and not being to see anything, is kind of scary. So maybe it's something to do with that also.

Also, I always feel like I need to know in advance which side I'm going to take the breath from. This should not be the case because one will never know how long they'll last before needing air again. I have recently noticed that when I exhale fast under the water, I feel less tense. On the flip side of this, I need to come up more often. One should take into account that for a lot of swimmers, in order to get a good gulp of air in when in between strokes, they need to sort of pause very slightly when taking that breathe. I'm not convinced that swimming with my head under water is faster for. Maybe some day I'll time both ways.

I've tried this recently too, (from 6:23 in below video), and it seems to require a lot of energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNJNjW7Y-I

When do triathlons, I often take a break from the front crawl altogether and lie on my back while kicking my legs and using my arms and chest to push the water away. A bit slower, but it makes for a nice break with easier breathing.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 slowswimmer

Stop limiting your breathing!!Breathe every 2 strokes to what ever sides seems natural. Say it's your left every time your right hand enters for the catch phase roll your whole body slightly to the left, inhale, roll back, exhale but dont empty your lungs completely into the water as your left arm enters catch phase ahead and repeat. Breathe every time,you wouldn't restrict your breathing if your running and cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Stop limiting your breathing!!Breathe every 2 strokes to what ever sides seems natural. Say it's your left every time your right hand enters for the catch phase roll your whole body slightly to the left, inhale, roll back, exhale but dont empty your lungs completely into the water as your left arm enters catch phase ahead and repeat. Breathe every time,you wouldn't restrict your breathing if your running and cycling
    Exactly this. Especially in the sea with colder water and maybe a swell , breathe as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am a terrible swimmer not triathlon level by any means! But, I find the OP's post funny because breathing properly between strokes is one of the few things I have mastered.
    I always turn my head to the same side out of habit above anything else, I think.
    I asked a lifeguard one time should it be two strokes and a breath of four or whatever.
    To see if I should make any changes.
    I was just told to do what is ever most comfortable.
    So I take a breath between ever two strokes
    When I swim I think of a drum to keep the rhythm going one, two breathe etc.
    Especially if I am getting tired.
    Not sure if that helps at all.
    But good luck in your swim anyway!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yeah as others have said - breath waaaay more often. No way I could sustain more than maybe 2 lengths at best breathing every 6 strokes!

Lots of good advice already so won't repeat it. Apart from breathing out under water, that bits key :)

On the YouTube link you posted, it's certainly going to be harder as it's rather inefficient. It's meant as a drill to correct crossing your arms beyond the centre line (ie the middle of your head) when your hand enters the water. Is this something you do? If not I wouldn't spend much time in it, focus on your breathing technique instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It's probably a case of having to slow down to learn and get used to proper technique before speeding up again. Swimming with your head down is way faster and more efficient when done properly.

However if your 1500m is soon and you don't have the time/inclination to change it then do whatever is most comfortable and will get you to the end. Ultimately that's what matters!

• Advertisement
Advertisement