Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it compulsory to nominate the free ball in snooker?

Options
  • 04-05-2018 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Foul committed, free ball awarded. Player plays a colour as a free ball without verbally nominating it. Foul or no foul?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Foul committed, free ball awarded. Player plays a colour as a free ball without verbally nominating it. Foul or no foul?

Yes, the colour ball should have been audibly nominated or indicated for the ref to know which ball the player is intending to play.

OFFICIAL RULES OF THE GAMES OF SNOOKER
    AND ENGLISH BILLIARDS
    12. Nominated Ball
    (a) A nominated ball is the object ball which the striker declares, or indicates
    to the satisfaction of the referee, he undertakes to hit with the first impact
    of the cue-ball.
    (b) If requested by the referee, the striker must declare which ball he is on.
    13. Free Ball
    A free ball is a ball, other than the ball on, which the striker nominates as the
    ball on when snookered after a foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

There was an free ball instance during this tournament, think it was Milkins. He nominated the yellow but missed the pot into the middle pocket. He left his opponent snookered. I thought the rule was that you cannot snooker a player off a free ball? Maybe the rule doesn't apply if it wasn't deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There was an free ball instance during this tournament, think it was Milkins. He nominated the yellow but missed the pot into the middle pocket. He left his opponent snookered. I thought the rule was that you cannot snooker a player off a free ball? Maybe the rule doesn't apply if it wasn't deliberate.

Can't snooker with the free ball, as in behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can't snooker with the free ball, as in behind it.

Ah ok, so you could play the nominated free ball and snooker a player behind a different ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

So even if the ball being taken as a free ball is clearly obvious, the player still must nominate it, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Think its a foul, 4 away if you don't, however obvious

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So even if the ball being taken as a free ball is clearly obvious, the player still must nominate it, yes?

No, it’s the same as taking a colour after a red if it’s obvious you don’t have to nominate verbally.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Think its a foul, 4 away if you don't, however obvious

I really don’t think so.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You have to nominate which colour ball is red because otherwise if you missed the nominated colour altogether and hit another colour then that would rightly be a foul. You can only pick one colour ball to be a temporary red, not all the colours.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    No, it’s the same as taking a colour after a red if it’s obvious you don’t have to nominate verbally.

Edit: I'm not talking about free ball scenarios in what follows

If you completely missed a colour one was clearly going for, and the cue ball hit another colour and it potted, is that a foul? I don't think so, the aim is to pot a colour after a red and that's what happened, intentional or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

AllForIt wrote: »
    If you completely missed a colour one was clearly going for, and the cue ball hit another colour and it potted, is that a foul? I don't think so, the aim is to pot a colour after a red and that's what happened, intentional or not.

But not in the context of free ball after a foul.
    As per the extract from the rules that I posted above, the free ball must be clearly indicated to the referee.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    But not in the context of free ball after a foul.
    As per the extract from the rules that I posted above, the free ball must be clearly indicated to the referee.

Yes agreed, I edited my post as I was a bit unclear about what scenario I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

So there's still some disagreement about the free ball scenario. Some are saying you must nominate it, no matter what, others are saying you don't have to if it's obvious.

My understanding was that you must VERBALLY nominate the colour every time (if it's not verbal then it's not nominated). Others are saying not if it's obvious. I'm asking as it came up in a local tournament recently and the other player was adamant that it was obvious (and it was) and therefore not necessary to nominate. For me, it should have been.

Edit: I'm not talking about free ball scenarios in what follows

That’s 100% a foul.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't think so, the aim is to pot a colour after a red and that's what happened, intentional or not.

Any colour other than the one nominated/implied by the player, is not a viable ball to pot. It's without doubt a foul to do so.

Advertisement