Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could "Edmund & Mary" and "Laurence & Bridget" be "Edmund & Mar

Options
  • 14-01-2018 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

This is another question where I'm using the context of records to figure out their accuracy. This is a list of all Molonys born in Murroe to a mother whose surname is Hayes:

ercxBYL.png

The father shown as ? is definitely Larry. So we have a Larry Moloney & Mary Hayes who had children in 1820, 1828, 1831, 1836 and 1839.

Initally I could only find 1 marriage for a Laurence Moloney - that to a Mary Leary in 1822. However, I did then find a Laurence Mahony marriage to a Mary Hayes in 1817; checking the original microfiche images, it's obviously "Molony". With their first child in 1820, that makes sense. So we definitely have a Larry Moloney/Mary Hayes.

EDMUND & MARY:

Searching for marriages for Mary Hayes, I couldn't find any to an Edmund (or anything resembling it) though. I even tried the whole country, with just Molonys and Hayes, and nothing shows that could resemble an Edmund.

In the baptism for Kitty, it definitely looks like the abbreviation for Edmund and nothing ressembling Larry.

LAURENCE & BRIDGET

Found a Bridget Hayes marrying an Edmund _BOURKE_ in 1831. Again, I tried the whole country, nothing resembling an Edmund Molony/Bridget Hayes marriage

Similarly, looks like Bridget in the original record, nothing like Mary.

===

So should I accept the records at face value and that there was an Edmund & Mary who have large gaps between what looks like regularly spaced out children (every three years) and also a Laurence & Bridget who have no marriage records and only one child each, or is it possible they are original errors?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There are many reasons why errors are made in records. There are also records that have faded so much that nobody can read them with any degree of certainty.

The list on your post seem to be from fmp, I assume you have also browsed the actual registers, either on microfilm or in recent years, online at registers.nli.ie

Advertisement