Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Granny flat/extension

• 12-12-2018 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

Minded to putting on an extenion to side of house, possibly with a self contained resedential unit.

Might be a pain in the hoop sharing my house with someone though

Anyone do it? How did planning process go?
    Avoid?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Minded to putting on an extenion to side of house, possibly with a self contained resedential unit.

Might be a pain in the hoop sharing my house with someone though

Anyone do it? How did planning process go?
    Avoid?

Planning Permission required. You seem to be aware of this.
    Self Contained Unit - It will not be as the Granny flat must be interlinked to the main dwelling by way of a door and the user will user will still be using the main front door.

Anyone done it - I've applied for and been granted for many in the greater Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

kceire wrote: »
    Planning Permission required. You seem to be aware of this.
    Self Contained Unit - It will not be as the Granny flat must be interlinked to the main dwelling by way of a door and the user will user will still be using the main front door.

Anyone done it - I've applied for and been granted for many in the greater Dublin area.

Cheers
    Have you done the self comtained unit - no interlinking door?
    How that go?

Cheers
    Have you done the self comtained unit - no interlinking door?
    How that go?

No, its a planning condition to put it in. How else would the occupant of the granny flat get into their side?

No, its a planning condition to put it in. How else would the occupant of the granny flat get into their side?

Sorry, i mean a fully self contained unit (not a granny flat). Have you done any of them?
    Looking for peoples experiences.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sorry, i mean a fully self contained unit (not a granny flat). Have you done any of them?

generally refused as you're creating 2 independent houses on a site designed for one independent house.

unless youve the site area to accommodate 2 dwellings, its likely you would be refused permission.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    generally refused as you're creating 2 independent houses on a site designed for one independent house.

unless youve the site area to accommodate 2 dwellings, its likely you would be refused permission.

Aye, that makes sense.
    Maybe need to talk to planners re my options.

Yes loads.
    Rules for new dwellings apply.

Infill dwelling section of the Development Plan.

Yes loads.
    Rules for new dwellings apply.

Infill dwelling section of the Development Plan.

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

**** logic. Who the hell is telling me what I can and can't do on MY OWN PROPERTY. didn't know we lived in a communist state

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    **** logic. Who the hell is telling me what I can and can't do on MY OWN PROPERTY. didn't know we lived in a communist state

Proper Planning and Development.
    Proper logic.

You cannot just wake up on Monday morning and decide to build a new house beside your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Humour?? Maybe not..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Proper Planning and Development.
    Proper logic.

You cannot just wake up on Monday morning and decide to build a new house beside your own.

Why not? It's my property, I should be able to do what I want with it, I'm not affecting anyone else's life but my own.

Why not? It's my property, I should be able to do what I want with it, I'm not affecting anyone else's life but my own.

Actually thats EXACTLY why we have planning laws....
    because if it was a free for all then you'd be affecting others peoples lives significantly.

Do what you want within the confines of the legislation.
    Is there any other developed country in the world that would allow you to build a new dwelling on your own land without any statutory approvals or permissions?

Actually thats EXACTLY why we have planning laws....
    because if it was a free for all then you'd be affecting others peoples lives significantly.

Can you please tell me how?

Do what you want within the confines of the legislation.
    Is there any other developed country in the world that would allow you to build a new dwelling on your own land without any statutory approvals or permissions?

Yes, most mainland European countries. But oh no, everybody building skyscrapers. Blowing the problem completely out of proportion. No, nobody builds skyscrapers

Yes, most mainland European countries. But oh no, everybody building skyscrapers. Blowing the problem completely out of proportion. No, nobody builds skyscrapers

Please post an example of a developed country that you can build new housing in your garden without permission and to regulation.

Surely you knew this before moving to Ireland?

Please post an example of a developed country that you can build new housing in your garden without permission and to regulation.

Surely you knew this before moving to Ireland?

I was unfortunately born here but changed my citizenship to British one so no I didn't know as it wasn't me who chose this

I was unfortunately born here but changed my citizenship to British one so no I didn't know as it wasn't me who chose this

My condolences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

There are various methods of transport that would enable you to leave this communist state behind you any time you wish! Air travel has never been cheaper!?

• Advertisement

Don't, I changed my citizenship to British one. Proud British now, we ruled half of the world at one point. And Ireland? Dying of famine from eating too many potatoes

Dont feed...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you want to question the law, go to the law forum or the after hours forum. We discuss construction and planning here. That includes compliance with the law of the land. Read the forum charter before posting again. Do not respond to this post on thread.

Advertisement