Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Altitude on google earth

• 18-03-2014 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, does Google hold the incorrect altitude for peaks in Ireland? I was up Mangerton, kerry on Saturday, the osi maps says 782m which is correct of course. But both Google earth and Wikipedia says it's 839m. I use a GPS tracking app on my phone but it uses Google earth to plot the hike so is off because of the incorrect data that Google has. I'm not sure how Google's got it so far wrong. Has anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

The reported height for the peaks will be different. :-)

The Ordnance Survey of Ireland references all heights in Ireland to Malin Head, whereas Google Maps uses the World Geodetic System 1984 (WGS84).

WGS84 is designed to fit the shape of the world well where the OS Irish Transverse Mercator of course is designed to fit Ireland well which is why you will notice a difference in the altitudes reported. Both heights are correct for their respective coordinate systems.

To compare like with like a datum transformation would be required to convert between the coordinate systems.

Advertisement