Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English or Irish passport

• 28-05-2020 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Ok lads short and simple.

Brother is resident over in B.C
    A severe change in circumstances has put me onto the idea of booking a one way trip.

Im an electrician.
    I'm 32

I have been to Canada twice before and feel I could make a decent life and living out there. I am 99% sure I can get a British passport by descent (mother) is it any advantage to me??

I do plan on sticking it out and possibly settling down.. I am chasing a dream in term escaping a nightmare

Apologies for being misinformed and I did try search but no luck

Comments

Isn't the Queen head of state in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Irish, everyone wants Irish passport....

Plane is taken and they would love the british

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Irish, everyone wants Irish passport....

Plane is taken and they would love the british

Regarding work??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hedzball wrote: »
    I have been to Canada twice before
    On a holiday, or on a working visa?
    I'm 32
    Under Irish passport, you can get a 2 year working holiday visa until 35. With the experience gathered with the two year (IEC) work visa, you can then get Permanent Residency, and from there, Citizennship.

You're too old to get an IEC work visa under the british passport.
    Im an electrician.
    When you go over, you'd need to pass the Red Seal test to be qualified over there. Most people will go over, work on sites, and then go for the Red Seal after working there 6 months or so.

the_syco wrote: »
    On a holiday, or on a working visa?

Under Irish passport, you can get a 2 year working holiday visa until 35. With the experience gathered with the two year (IEC) work visa, you can then get Permanent Residency, and from there, Citizennship.

You're too old to get an IEC work visa under the british passport.

When you go over, you'd need to pass the Red Seal test to be qualified over there. Most people will go over, work on sites, and then go for the Red Seal after working there 6 months or so.

Cheers syco

On holiday twice.

I was kind of seeing around that sparks go over and get about 85% of the rate until the red seal??

With regards the visa I can apply straight away?? Or is there some few bits I need to do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'll want to apply for a 2 year Working Holiday @ https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

Make a profile, and it'll tell you what you need. Advise you go over with €6,000, as most people are looking for a job for a month or two. Advise you do the SmartServe pass, so you can work in a pub whilst over there when you first land.

Young Professionals; get a job before you go over, stuck to this job. Should you leave the job, you have to have another company go through the paperwork to employ you, or you have to leave the country. Have heard of a few employers taking the piss regarding this.

Working holiday; you're not tied to the job. If you don't like the job you get before you go over there, or the one you get whilst you're there, you can leave it and get another job. This is the one myself, and anyone I know over there, applied for.

When you apply, the wait will be looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong, due to COVID. There's a few posts regarding people who have applied,but gotten no word back. The reason behind this is that when you get the OK from Canada, you have a year to go there and activate your VISA. As it's on lockdown, there's no point in having people come over, thus they're not inviting people atm.

Thanks for your highly informative post syco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The age limit for IEC for UK passport holders is 30, so no advantage with it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

A relative's experience: they (Irish passport) and friend (UK passport) went for the 2 year IEC visa. He got his almost immediately, the friend's took about a year...seems the UK visa quota is much smaller than Ireland's, relatively speaking. This surprised me, considering the Queen is still their head of state.
    Maybe it's different if you're going for permanent residency though.

Advertisement