Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-05-2020, 01:21   #61
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
and called called to say he was keeping the deposit to protect their money too?
No he said he sent a message. Not that he called
Advertisement
10-05-2020, 01:21   #62
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Where have you been????

They did
When did he say that. He sent the landlord sent a message
10-05-2020, 01:21   #63
FluffPiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
Was the tenancy terminated ?
OP Needs to pick up the phone
You must have missed the following in the OP

Quote:
On the 27th of April we sent him a message that the rent would be a bit late for may (first time rent has been late) and he ignored the message. On the 7th of mayjust before we were going to spend him the rent, he sent us one saying
"I have boxed up your belonging, they are in a shed in *(location 20 miles from apartment)* and I'm keeping your secerity deposit for rent unpaid"
If the OP version of the events are true, it would appear the landlord has ****ed up and shot himself in the foot here with regards to the RTB.

Of course, we may not be getting the full facts here but we will operate on the basis of information provided.

The tenants communicated with the landlord via messaging and the landlord appeared to be well able to message back with instructions to find belongings. Would be weird to assume the place was abandoned and tenants not evicted given the full information in the OP.
10-05-2020, 01:26   #64
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffPiece View Post
You must have missed the following in the OP

If the OP version of the events are true, it would appear the landlord has ****ed up and shot himself in the foot here with regards to the RTB.

Of course, we may not be getting the full facts here but we will operate on the basis of information provided.

The tenants communicated with the landlord via messaging and the landlord appeared to be well able to message back with instructions to find belongings. Would be weird to assume the place was abandoned and tenants not evicted given the full information in the OP.

Who says he got the messsage, and if he got it. What why was in interpreted, do you not think it’s fairly cheeky doing it by message rather then via a conversation?
If so
So no phone call or conversation was had? Phone calls and conversations are the best way to clear things up. The OP needs to have an actual conversation
10-05-2020, 01:31   #65
FluffPiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
Who says he got the messsage, and if he got it. What why was in interpreted, do you not think it’s fairly cheeky doing it by message rather then via a conversation?
If so
So no phone call or conversation was had? Phone calls and conversations are the best way to clear things up. The OP needs to have an actual conversation
The landlord was perfectly able to send a message dictating that all items were in storage, where said storage was and that they would be keeping the deposit.

If it's good for the goose and all that...
Advertisement
10-05-2020, 01:37   #66
bucketybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panjandrums View Post
I wonder was the landlord concerned about having an uninsured apartment due to it being left vacant?
I'd say the landlord was more concerned that a group of students who won't be returning to college any time soon were going to mess him around, and was probably expecting rent to be unpaid by kids who might start wondering why they should pay rent for a house they haven't been near in months.

He also probably knows how well landlords do when they follow the rules to deal with troublesome tenants, and how long it takes to get anything resolved.

Lo and behold, then the rent doesn't get paid. I imagine the landlord fully expected this and decided that he had no intention of taking any ****e, boxed up their things and retook possession of the premises.

Like it or not, rightly or wrongly, that was probably his mentality and so when rubbing hands about how badly the landlord is going to lose in court just consider that he probably knows damn well what that process is and is prepared for it.
(3) thanks from:
10-05-2020, 01:38   #67
Panjandrums

Three other people are involved in this and it appears that the op was not the one communicating with the landlord.

How do we know that the lease holder didn't tell the landlord they wouldn't be able to pay rent anymore.

The landlord then moves out their belongings from the vacant and uninsured property.

It would be naive to think that their isn't something going on behind the ops back, between the other tenants and the landlord.
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2020, 01:41   #68
Whelo79

Some real tools in here. I think people just like an argument.

I'm a landlord and I would never contemplate evicting tenants in this situation. Given identical circumstances (and even presuming for some reason I had not received tenants text about late payment) I would at the very least make several attempts (if needed) to contact the tenant by phone for an update.

How did the landlord know the apartment was empty? Did he call over unannounced to check? Doesn't a landlord have to provide suitable notice before visiting the property?
10-05-2020, 01:42   #69
bucketybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panjandrums View Post
Three other people are involved in this and it appears that the op was not the one communicating with the landlord.
Where is this stated?

Wouldn't be the first time one tenant wasn't telling others the full story.

The OP wants to go back to work but do the other students? Did they really want to continue paying rent?
Advertisement
10-05-2020, 01:46   #70
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelo79 View Post
I would never contemplate evicting tenants in this situation. Given identical circumstances (and even presuming for some reason I had not received tenants text about late payment) I would at the very least make several attempts (if needed) to contact the tenant by phone for an update.
+1

It would be a spectacularly daft move for any landlord to chance his arm, even more so with additional emergency legislation in place.
10-05-2020, 01:55   #71
Panjandrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Where is this stated?

Wouldn't be the first time one tenant wasn't telling others the full story.

The OP wants to go back to work but do the other students? Did they really want to continue paying rent?
First line "we are a group of four"

He then goes on to to say "we sent him a message" if he sent the message, he would have likely said I.

The 7th of May was Thursday, if it was the op dealing with the landlord, I think they would have rang them at this stage.
10-05-2020, 02:25   #72
Panjandrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelo79 View Post
Some real tools in here. I think people just like an argument.
You're not able to see another side to the story so I'll give you my rational.

4 people in an apartment, due to the circumstances they negotiate a rent reduction. The op is out of work but likely claiming the €350 euro a week Covid-19 payment, which is highly likely to leave him in a better financial position when compared with part time work.

The 3 others are perhaps just up in Dublin for college and their parents are paying the rent of 575 a month.

Colleges finished on March 12th. Parents think that their child will be back in college for April so they pay for April. During the month of April it becomes clear the their child won't be back until the mid September if not later.

575 X 5 = €2875 paid in rent for accomodation their child isn't using. The three other tenants get together and decide that their are terminating the lease without telling the op, as they know that the op would be annoyed at them because the op needs the accomodation for work during the summer.
10-05-2020, 02:31   #73
expertrhino

Ok, to reply to all the messages and the main points

I sent a message to the landlord explaining the reason it with be late this month, and not next month, due to a few details. I did this on the 29th. He ignored me. I rang him on the 1st and 2nd, both times he didn't answer

The other told me they sent him a message on the 26/27th that rent would be late by a few days, they got no response.

So the 7th comes around, they get a message from him and screenshot what he said. I have not talked to this guy, he has ignored any messages/calls sent to him. I made it clear in the message I sent him on the 29th that we would be going back when the lockdown was lifted/ work restarted which I told him would be this month.

So far, 0 contact with him as he is actively ignoring us.

As for the point where I might not being told the full story from the other 3 tenants, it's possible that they might not want to go back but, if that's the case, why would the landlord be ignoring me also and not try clarify anything of his thinking?
10-05-2020, 02:40   #74
Larbre34

Its clear he has taken a gamble here, hoping that all the circumstances of the current crisis will distract you or anyone from going after him for breaking the law, which is has done wilfully.

Prove him wrong.
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2020, 03:32   #75
overkill602

LL had nothing to gain here on a first and notified late payment its not as if he can let easy in the current climate i suspect there is more he cant be that stupid.
You now seem to suggest the others may be doing something different you should be all responsible as tenants this relationship seems frail on all sides.
Move on.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion