Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2020, 21:31   #1
Dublinmuppet

Skiing 20/21

Folks hubby turning 50 in summer. We used to go skiing in the good oul days before kids. I have around 3500 to spend but would like Austria and it’s 3 adults 1 child. Is it doable or am I kidding myself?? Want to go Xmas or if any of u fabulous lot have a better idea of a nice trip. We have a summer holiday to canaries already sorted so that’s it. Tried to get Glastonbury but. Missed out
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 11:19   #2
Rew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublinmuppet View Post
Folks hubby turning 50 in summer. We used to go skiing in the good oul days before kids. I have around 3500 to spend but would like Austria and it’s 3 adults 1 child. Is it doable or am I kidding myself?? Want to go Xmas or if any of u fabulous lot have a better idea of a nice trip. We have a summer holiday to canaries already sorted so that’s it. Tried to get Glastonbury but. Missed out
I have done Austria for 2 adults and 3 kids all in (bar food and drink) for 3.5k start of Feb.

Flights to Munich with Ryanair
Transfer with www.tirol-taxi.at
Acom via the local tourist board site
Lessons for the kids
2 x adult passes 1 x child (the others are free)
Ski rental 2 x adult 3 x kids

Christmas is going to push the price up though.
Thanks from:
15-01-2020, 21:16   #3
a148pro

Yeah Christmas is bonkers money I'm afraid. But if you avoid that and the February ski holidays I'd say you could get within that budget self catering.

Edit: actually Christmas itself tends to be relatively cheap if you're willing to go there for the 25th, its the week after that is bonkers money

Last edited by a148pro; 15-01-2020 at 21:27.
Thanks from:
15-01-2020, 22:03   #4
Some12

I brought the family (2 adults + 2 kids) skiing at Garmisch-Partenkirchen from 26 to 30 December 2018 and found all very reasonable.

Two bed apt found on the gapa.de website, Ryanair flights to Munich and Flicks bus return from Munich. I think about 400 Apt + 500 flights then ski & food costs.

The hardest thing was finding food for the apartment on the 26th! Only found petrol stations open.
(2) thanks from:
03-03-2020, 08:05   #5
blue note

I'm thinking sauze d'oux if it's a gang of us next year. And today fm if not.

Is it too early to be dreaming?
Advertisement
17-06-2020, 17:00   #6
blue note

I'm guessing you've all seen on facebook / instagram / etc that places are open at the moment for the end of season skiing. Does this mean that we can expect fairly normal skiing next year? I don't know what the story is about limiting numbers on the slopes or anything like that. It would suck if you missed out because of a cap in numbers. Or had to pay extra. But it would be amazing if the slopes were empty as a result. But the bars still full for the atmosphere. And also the crowds like standing so there's always a seat and a table when we get to them.
18-06-2020, 09:20   #7
maddness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue note View Post
I'm guessing you've all seen on facebook / instagram / etc that places are open at the moment for the end of season skiing. Does this mean that we can expect fairly normal skiing next year? I don't know what the story is about limiting numbers on the slopes or anything like that. It would suck if you missed out because of a cap in numbers. Or had to pay extra. But it would be amazing if the slopes were empty as a result. But the bars still full for the atmosphere. And also the crowds like standing so there's always a seat and a table when we get to them.
No one knows her and we won’t know until very close to the time either, there is just far too many variables. If there is skiing I’ll be there though wherever that may be.
21-06-2020, 14:43   #8
a148pro

I've seen in the states that they are selling limited numbers of lift passes for resorts.

I assume it'll be the same as normal except for lifts and cable cars / gondolas. This will mean longer queues and if the resort feels they can't limit the numbers in queues they may limit the number of lift passes.

Then one assumes there may be restrictions on the numbers in restaurants, which could obviously be a big problem if there's bad weather and people can't eat outside. Though I gather in austria they've been a bit more liberal about restaurants?

Hopefully this might be offset by fewer people going

There are a couple of glacier resorts in europe open right now so if you look online you may see what they're doing. Had a quick look at Hintertux, beyond masks being compulsory and people being told to distance I'm not sure what else they're doing.

But numbers in summer are very low, winter will be a different story

One things for certain - like madness, i'll be there, at some point! Days getting shorter from today lads!

In fact might not be a bad idea to get a trip in before Christmas to beat any second wave or travel restrictions
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 16:17   #9
lbj666

Quote:
Originally Posted by a148pro View Post
I've seen in the states that they are selling limited numbers of lift passes for resorts.

I assume it'll be the same as normal except for lifts and cable cars / gondolas. This will mean longer queues and if the resort feels they can't limit the numbers in queues they may limit the number of lift passes.

Then one assumes there may be restrictions on the numbers in restaurants, which could obviously be a big problem if there's bad weather and people can't eat outside. Though I gather in austria they've been a bit more liberal about restaurants?

Hopefully this might be offset by fewer people going

There are a couple of glacier resorts in europe open right now so if you look online you may see what they're doing. Had a quick look at Hintertux, beyond masks being compulsory and people being told to distance I'm not sure what else they're doing.

But numbers in summer are very low, winter will be a different story

One things for certain - like madness, i'll be there, at some point! Days getting shorter from today lads!

In fact might not be a bad idea to get a trip in before Christmas to beat any second wave or travel restrictions

Ya its really hard to know hows it is going to pan out. But it is hard to imagine places without some form of social distancing measures on lifts, which means halving the capacity possible unless they have sort of buddy system.

Theres some mad ques in bikeparks in europe at the minute even though the bike provides distancing in itself.

The mad austrian apres bars will probably have to tone it down alot. Regardless of the virus, even for optics Ischgl and St. Anton will have very different atmosphere next year.

I reckon ischgl might be a good bet because most people go for the apres anyway so if they cant do that they wont go.

I reckon ski passes will have to be booked in advance, the popular places will sell out fast.

It might be time for me finally consider something a bit more off grid, i except the they might expand the market for touring stuff like that.

Curious of people views or does anyone have any further insight.
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 17:18   #10
Rew

Thinking of passing on the 20/21 season to be honest, time will tell though
23-06-2020, 12:16   #11
a148pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj666 View Post
Curious of people views or does anyone have any further insight.
All valid points I think
23-06-2020, 13:25   #12
maddness

If there is not another big outbreak and lockdown then there should be skiing. Resorts will do whatever they can to open up and make some money and I will do whatever I can to ski. A lot of casual skiers won’t bother and that’s completely understandable too.
The interesting question is whether it will be cheaper or more expensive as a result?
23-06-2020, 14:59   #13
blue note

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddness View Post
The interesting question is whether it will be cheaper or more expensive as a result?
I guarantee you it'll be more expensive. There might be bargins out there, but it'll cost more the majority of the time. Even if demand goes down by more than their supply is restricted.
23-06-2020, 16:12   #14
a148pro

Yeah for some reason commentators seem to be suggesting it'll be more expensive. Like you'd think they'd drop prices to encourage people to go but if numbers are down or have to be limited then their bottom line might also be affected. Plus they lost the end of last season.

I have a fear of visiting resorts and seeing lots of shuttered hotels and restaurants as Covid scars for years to come. I fear we'll see as much in our own communities.

The US model seems to be for much more expensive lift pass prices. While that's less likely to be tolerated by thrifty Europeans who can commute to resorts for a day, I think the reality is that skiing has gotten more and more elitist, and the demographic older and wealthier. So high US lift pass prices set a precedent that some resorts may look to adopt. Strange times.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion