Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2020, 23:16   #1

Is this normal with Spiritual People

Hi, recently broke up with my partner. They were big into spirituality like meditation, bio energy, chakras, crystals, psychics, past life regression... I'm not very spiritual myself but don't really pass judgement on anyone else's beliefs. It was however a major issue in our relationship. Many times we'd talk about general stuff and I'd be told I just didn't understand as I hadn't got an overall view of things as I wasn't spiritual. It eventually became a major issue and it was clear my partner held it against me that I wasn't spiritual and it was said a few times that we couldn't fully connect as a result. In the end I think it was one of the reasons we broke up. Is this the norm with spiritual people? It was the exact opposite of what I expected.

thanks.

Last edited by cheekycheeky; 04-01-2020 at 23:35.
Advertisement
05-01-2020, 13:56   #2
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie Massive Porcupine View Post
Hi, recently broke up with my partner. They were big into spirituality like meditation, bio energy, chakras, crystals, psychics, past life regression... I'm not very spiritual myself but don't really pass judgement on anyone else's beliefs. It was however a major issue in our relationship. Many times we'd talk about general stuff and I'd be told I just didn't understand as I hadn't got an overall view of things as I wasn't spiritual. It eventually became a major issue and it was clear my partner held it against me that I wasn't spiritual and it was said a few times that we couldn't fully connect as a result. In the end I think it was one of the reasons we broke up. Is this the norm with spiritual people? It was the exact opposite of what I expected.

thanks.
I would say that it is common enough for people who have invested in any belief system that doesn't bear close scrutiny to retaliate with the "you just don't get it!" line of argument. This could be a spiritual thing but it could also be as simple as liking a music band, and happens when people confuse subjective belief with objective fact. For example saying "this is a great band" (objective) when the truth is closer to "i really like this band" (subjective). There's more to fact than wanting something to be true and those heavily invested in spirituality, religion, homeopathy, faith healing, crystals, chakras, etc... commonly fall foul of this.

Just my 2c.
08-01-2020, 18:31   #3
Rigsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie Massive Porcupine View Post
H Is this the norm with spiritual people?
In my opinion ...no. I think you are more spiritual than you give yourself credit for...certainly more so than your "spiritual" ex partner. A spiritual person would not be judgemental (as with yourself), but would accept people and situations in a neutral way. If your ex partner brought their meditation practice away from the cushion and into everyday life, they would be able (or at least..willing) to accept and embrace moment to moment situations as they arise.

As with lots of things in life..it's easy to talk the talk...less so to implement them.

Last edited by Rigsby; 08-01-2020 at 18:34.
08-01-2020, 18:32   #4
GarIT

Yeah nuts people will come up with nuts arguments.
Thanks from:
09-01-2020, 10:16   #5
UB Dude

Hi,
Genuine spiritual progress is marked by growing tolerance, patience, kindness, love, and humility. Your ex appears more confused than enlightened. Bitter though the lesson may be, she has done you a favour.

Regards
B

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion