Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you convince people god exists?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Atheists, whilst not believing in God believe something else in relation to the questions answered for others by God

MOD

antiskeptic - your continual insistence on telling atheists what they do/do not believe could be considered low level trolling/soapboxing/inflammatory. You have been warned about this before - but not recently so I am letting you off with a reminding warning that telling other people what they believe/refusing to listen when they tell you is not discussion.
    Kindly stick to outlining your own beliefs and desist from projecting what you think other people believe onto a diverse group.

Do not discuss this in thread. Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I don't think its discussing the mods warning to say that I'll consider all here gathered to be a-anything (which permits them to be a-theists, naturally) unless they state they believe something regarding the fundamental questions already outlined (from whence views on origins, meaning, morals, etc)

Naturally I won't be discussing on an unequal footing, so unless someone states their outline beliefs they will be considered a-anythings.

Or agnostic on the matter of existence, meaning, morals, etc. Which will put them on a sticky wicket. You make no moral decisions? Or if you do, you makes them based on having no beliefs about such matters. Good luck with that..

Panrich, for example, supposes there is no real mystery regarding origins. I assume he believes the naturalistic argument. In light of mods warning, Panrich will need to say from whence he concludes as he does- so that I'm not carded for drawing what seems like an obvious conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

You believe there is no.mystery because you believe an explanation that involves no mystery. Presumably one that involves natural processes and happenstance.

Your belief (the result of your assessment of information) is what renders us mundane and insignificant. Your belief has the same size b in front if it as mine (which too is the result of an assessment of the information): my belief merely concludes we have profound importance and value, yours concludes we have little.

That two people buying a Lotto ticket results in them obtaining two different sized prizes doesn't alter the sameness of their input: buying a Lotto ticket

Here is the difference in our positions. You would have us buying lottery tickets in this 'draw of life' because your worldview is invested in the outcome. Do you have tickets for the draw on Greek, Roman Norse Gods also? Have we the same prize in those draws?

Panrich wrote: »
    Here is the difference in our positions. You would have us buying lottery tickets in this 'draw of life' because your worldview is invested in the outcome. Do you have tickets for the draw on Greek, Roman Norse Gods also? Have we the same prize in those draws?

I would have you do nothing. I'm merely attempting to stalemate your position. Your b is the same size as my b ... in our discussion.

You have done no more than me - plumping for a set of Lotto numbers.

I don't think its discussing the mods warning to say that I'll consider all here gathered to be a-anything (which permits them to be a-theists, naturally) unless they state they believe something regarding the fundamental questions already outlined (from whence views on origins, meaning, morals, etc)

Naturally I won't be discussing on an unequal footing, so unless someone states their outline beliefs they will be considered a-anythings.

Or agnostic on the matter of existence, meaning, morals, etc. Which will put them on a sticky wicket. You make no moral decisions? Or if you do, you makes them based on having no beliefs about such matters. Good luck with that..

Panrich, for example, supposes there is no real mystery regarding origins. I assume he believes the naturalistic argument. In light of mods warning, Panrich will need to say from whence he concludes as he does- so that I'm not carded for drawing what seems like an obvious conclusion.

As a non-mod hat wearing observation that is some attempt at rules lawyering and also utter nonsense.

You, yourself, are a-many deities (unless you do believe in ALL deities) therefore, going by your statement because you do not believe in the majority of deities it can be taken you believe in none.

You are making huge leaps in what I struggle to call 'logic' so tbh any one on a sticky wicket here is yourself due to the blinkers your own beliefs have placed upon you.

Panrich's beliefs on morals, philosophy, cricket, etc etc etc - or lack thereof - are Panrich's to outline, not yours to assume, and cannot be extrapolated to include all atheists. A fact which has been pointed out to you countless times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Whataboutism 101

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    As a non-mod hat wearing observation that is some attempt at rules lawyering and also utter nonsense.

You, yourself, are a-many deities (unless you do believe in ALL deities) therefore, going by your statement because you do not believe in the majority of deities it can be taken you believe in none.

A-anything and everything is the safe, default assumption until someone identifies a belief in something - be that deity or otherwise (e.g
    naturalistic origins).

Once someone identifies a belief in something they become like me. They are a-everything but what they believe in.

Since I am not permitted to assume someone's beliefs I'll assume they have none unless they do state them.

If they have none then fine, I can skip discussing with them on the basis of life being too short. If they have a belief then we can discuss on the basis of a somewhat level playing field.

What atheists don't get to do is to play without showing their own hand. What they want: sit there throwing rocks and demanding evidence for a theists belief, whilst hiding behind their merely lacking a belief in God?

Where is the courage of their convictions (in the event they have any). Let them haul their light out from behind their bushel and face the problem of their occupying a faith position.

Panrich's beliefs on morals, philosophy, cricket, etc etc etc - or lack thereof - are Panrich's to outline, not yours to assume, and cannot be extrapolated to include all atheists. A fact which has been pointed out to you countless times

Panrich.gave some indication of naturalistic beliefs. But seeing as I am not allowed to make any assumption I'll assume he has no beliefs and terminate that discussion.

As soon as he has any (and it's looking like naturalistic origins) he can tell me why his faith based system trumps mine. Perhaps.

A-anything and everything is the safe, default assumption until someone identifies a belief in something - be that deity or otherwise (e.g
    naturalistic origins).

Once someone identifies a belief in something they become like me. They are a-everything but what they believe in.

Since I am not permitted to assume someone's beliefs I'll assume they have none unless they do state them.

If they have none then fine, I can skip discussing with them on the basis of life being too short. If they have a belief then we can discuss on the basis of a somewhat level playing field.

What atheists don't get to do is to play without showing their own hand. What they want: sit there throwing rocks and demanding evidence for a theists belief, whilst hiding behind they're merely lacking a belief in God?

Where is the courage of their convictions (in the event they have any). Let them haul their light out from behind their bushel and face the problem of their occupying a faith position.

Panrich.gave some indication of naturalistic beliefs. But seeing as I am not allowed to make any assumption I'll assume he has no beliefs and terminate that discussion.

As soon as he has any (and it's looking like naturalistic origins) he can tell me why his faith based system trumps mine. Perhaps.

Have you considered actually asking individual people what they do/do not believe? Then, once you have that knowledge, proceeding on that basis or are you wedding to assumptions borne out of your own bias?
    It seems to me that you cannot conceive of atheists as being individuals but must instead fall back upon some fallacy that like Christians, atheists have some kind of core hive mind belief system - although we all know that Christians do not seem to truly have any such thing as the many many occasions when one Christians dismisses another Christian a not being a 'proper Christian' testifies.

What you are not permitted to do is a)discuss a mod warning in thread (this is universal across Boards.ie) or specifically relating to your latest warning is b) tell other people what they believe. Your tendency to do so while ignoring them when they have told you what they actually do/do not believe is a feature of many of your posts and is, as has been pointed out many many times before, a form of trolling.

It seems strange that you seem unable to hold a discussion that doesn't involve you telling other people what they believe. It's like the religious equivalent of shout 'But Sinn Fein...' at every criticism of the current govt.

Have you considered actually asking individual people what they do/do not believe? Then, once you have that knowledge, proceeding on that basis or are you wedding to assumptions borne out of your own bias?
    It seems to me that you cannot conceive of atheists as being individuals but must instead fall back upon some fallacy that like Christians, atheists have some kind of core hive mind belief system - although we all know that Christians do not seem to truly have any such thing as the many many occasions when one Christians dismisses another Christian a not being a 'proper Christian' testifies.

I do understand that atheism is a church encompassing a broad set of widely diverging beliefs. That said, the bulk of folk on here display an adherence to naturalistic origins / empirical evidence uber allies / science as the route into all knowledge.

But it doesn't really matter what the beliefs are so long as the position is belief based. You see, atheists, in their rock throwing, omit to take account that their own position (what that is isn't so important) is a belief based one.

What you are not permitted to do is a)discuss a mod warning in thread (this is universal across Boards.ie) or specifically relating to your latest warning is b) tell other people what they believe. Your tendency to do so while ignoring them when they have told you what they actually do/do not believe is a feature of many of your posts and is, as has been pointed out many many times before, a form of trolling.

It seems strange that you seem unable to hold a discussion that doesn't involve you telling other people what they believe. It's like the religious equivalent of shout 'But Sinn Fein...' at every criticism of the current govt.

Hence my suggesting waiting until someone gets off the.pot and announces they have a belief system and are merely a-anything that isn't encompassed by their belief system.

Better that than throwing rocks from within their own glass house of belief.

-

I might add that it is a bit galling for you to warn me for saying what another's beliefs are (when clues as to what those beliefs are are evident) when atheists here do that all the time themselves. I don't believe in a smithin' and a smothin' God for instance. But am regularly told I do.

I do understand that atheism is a church encompassing a broad set of widely diverging beliefs. That said, the bulk of folk on here display an adherence to naturalistic origins / empirical evidence uber allies / science as the route into all knowledge.

But it doesn't really matter what the beliefs are so long as the position is belief based. You see, atheists, in their rock throwing, omit to take account that their own position (what that is isn't so important) is a belief based one.

Hence my suggesting waiting until someone gets off the.pot and announces they have a belief system and are merely a-anything that isn't encompassed by their belief system.

Better that than throwing rocks from within their own glass house of belief.

Whataboutism 102

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    Whataboutism 102

Got a belief system?

naturalistic origins).

What atheists don't get to do is to play without showing their own hand. What they want: sit there throwing rocks and demanding evidence for a theists belief, whilst hiding behind their merely lacking a belief in God?

I am not sure that you can see the difference in what I and others are saying and your assertions about them. I suspect it may be that you find it difficult to see that religious questions make no sense to the non-religious. I cannot stress how little thought I have previously given to the questions you posed that I originally answered.

You accuse me of having 'faith' in my beliefs that we are no more than other life forms. I have no such faith. I think I understand that this is the reality of our existence but I base my positions on what rhymes with reason inside my head. If some evidence or reason invalidates this position, then my position will change accordingly.

I think that your position is trumped by mine because my working premise has many less moving parts than yours. My assumptions are the least that make sense of the world around me. I do not seek grand answers to questions that do not enhance my day to day existence and therefore I do not have to make big logical leaps to concoct a worldview that gives some desired answers. So to say that I 'believe' that we have no cause, purpose or reason to be here is really a false claim. Of the evidence and understanding that I currently possess, that is a guess at an answer that I would not stand over in the face of new evidence to the contrary.

In essence my worldview is simpler than yours and requires less faith.

For the millionth time Atheism is not a church of any kind - broad or otherwise.

It matters not a whit what the bulk of folk here - in your opinion - display an adherence to even if 100% of people here agreed on a philosophical position it would not mean that is the stance of all atheists.

You really, and I mean this in a literal sense, do seem to be only able to cope with a narrow interpretations that conforms to your pre-existing bias.

-
    This bit is a mod note:
    I might add that it is a bit galling for you to warn me for saying what another's beliefs are (when clues as to what those beliefs are are evident) when atheists here do that all the time themselves. I don't believe in a smithin' and a smothin' God for instance. But am regularly told I do.

All the A&A Mods have at some point or other warned you against telling people what they believe. If an individual here is constantly telling you what you believe to the point it has become trolling report them and they will be dealt with accordingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Got a belief system?

I believe that you've a PhD and Masters in Whataboutery, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I'd literally need to meet God to believe him at this point. Books written by people from thousands of years ago as the best evidence we've got? How is their credibility so highly regarded? We've gotten smarter between the times those books were wrote, and the majority of us are dopes now, myself included, so you have to think their was a serious amount of bored dopes around a few thousand years ago.

If there is a god and this god has decided there is only one right religion, hes literally just given everyone a multiple choice question with around 3 thousand possible answers. I hope there is a god, I hope I get to talk to him, he can expect an extremely irate customer, then I'll take the elevator, fire stairs or whatever down to hell.

Panrich wrote: »
    I am not sure that you can see the difference in what I and others are saying and your assertions about them. I suspect it may be that you find it difficult to see that religious questions make no sense to the non-religious. I cannot stress how little thought I have previously given to the questions you posed that I originally answered.

The answers to those questions don't necessarily require much thought. They require a basis and the basis can be arrived at by the simplest means you like. The question is whether the answer is based on belief. Believing a teacher who said this is how it occurred whilst you were at school is sufficient. Not much thought went into it from your side. But you believe the teacher.

You accuse me of having 'faith' in my beliefs that we are no more than other life forms. I have no such faith. I think I understand that this is the reality of our existence but I base my positions on what rhymes with reason inside my head. If some evidence or reason invalidates this position, then my position will change accordingly.

Faith in reasoning (Rationalism) to establish truth. Faith in evidence (which is why I believe as I do) is faith based. I have faith that discernment and evaluation of the evidence available to me is accurate)
    I think that your position is trumped by mine because my working premise has many less moving parts than yours.

I'm not sure I understand the quantitative evaluation process going on. In order to decide yours had less moving parts you would have to know how many were involved on both sides. And whether less would work

Less, per se, isn't a good thing. It may not be enough. And I'm not sure how, without faith, you'd be in a position to evaluate things for work ability.

My assumptions are the least that make sense of the world around me. I do not seek grand answers to questions that do not enhance my day to day existence and therefore I do not have to make big logical leaps to concoct a worldview that gives some desired answers.

An ant does no differently. If the questions don't arise then answers you need not seek. Nevertheless, you will have a reason for the morality you operate according to. You may not question where it comes from but you do have beliefs about why this is wrong and that right. And those will trace back to origin and meaning style questions.

You can operate by believing without ever asking why you believe as you do.

So to say that I 'believe' that we have no cause, purpose or reason to be here is really a false claim. Of the evidence and understanding that I currently possess, that is a guess at an answer that I would not stand over in the face of new evidence to the contrary.

Or to put it another way: it is a weakly held belief. To be expected if you haven't really delved into the reason and root of why you hold it
    In essence my worldview is simpler than yours and requires less faith.

Non-examination naturally makes things simple. Beliefs weakly held do not require much faith.

Simple doesn't mean that it is a sound worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I suppose its up to yourself. do you believe that after you die, thats it. your existence is gone forever, or if there's something bigger out there that we call god.
    i dunno. its a weird thought and kinda depressing that when you die thats it, snuffed out, extinguished for the rest of time.

When you die,you won't know your dead.
    You'll know as much about it as the trillions of years before you were born.
    Absolute and utter nothingness

For the millionth time Atheism is not a church of any kind - broad or otherwise.

It matters not a whit what the bulk of folk here - in your opinion - display an adherence to even if 100% of people here agreed on a philosophical position it would not mean that is the stance of all atheists.

In the sense they are a grouping without belief in God (when belief in God/Gods is so prevalent globally) I'd say that constitutes a church.

You.might want your subsets and differentiation but to the rest of us you have more in common (lacking belief in God) than you have in difference.

A bit like the Christian church.

Lack of belief is your flag (whether waved vigorously or not) just like Jesus Christ is the flag under which Christian's of all hues align.

You're looking at it from your perspective: seeing a world of difference between an atheist Buddhist and Richard 'Rational' Dawkins. I'm looking at it from my (and theists) perspective. That perspective has the world full of theists of some hue.

-

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

In the sense they are a grouping without belief in God (when belief in God/Gods is so prevalent globally) I'd say that constitutes a church.

Church: noun
    a building for public Christian worship.
    public worship of God or a religious service in such a building: to attend church regularly.
    (sometimes initial capital letter) the whole body of Christian believers; Christendom.
    (sometimes initial capital letter) any division of this body professing the same creed and acknowledging the same ecclesiastical authority; a Christian denomination: the Methodist Church.

Nope, don't see it.

• Advertisement

Steve F wrote: »
    When you die,you won't know your dead.
    You'll know as much about it as the trillions of years before you were born.
    Absolute and utter nothingness

What belief system caused you to arrive at that conclusion?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Church: noun
    a building for public Christian worship.
    public worship of God or a religious service in such a building: to attend church regularly.
    (sometimes initial capital letter) the whole body of Christian believers; Christendom.
    (sometimes initial capital letter) any division of this body professing the same creed and acknowledging the same ecclesiastical authority; a Christian denomination: the Methodist Church.

Nope, don't see it.

Try Googling broad church. For that is the term I used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Since I am not permitted to assume someone's beliefs.
    Not permitted because it's something which you are simply dreadful at.

Your basic premise, which you wheel out in so many of your posts with the predictability of a one-trick pony, is that since everybody believes something, that all conclusions are equally questionable. It's a silly notion which some railyard preacher might have blared in Apologetics-101 to a bunch of straw-chewing rednecks, but on the high plateaus where the big thinkers roam, it's like farting in a lift.

Anyway as Bannasidhe points out, you could always try asking somebody what they believe and then proceed from there. While it's not something a preacher would do, it is what somebody interested in a discussion would do.

The answers to those questions don't necessarily require much thought. They require a basis and the basis can be arrived at by the simplest means you like. The question is whether the answer is based on belief. Believing a teacher who said this is how it occurred whilst you were at school is sufficient. Not much thought went into it from your side. But you believe the teacher.

Faith in reasoning (Rationalism) to establish truth. Faith in evidence (which is why I believe as I do) is faith based. I have faith that discernment and evaluation of the evidence available to me is accurate)

I'm not sure I understand the quantitative evaluation process going on. In order to decide yours had less moving parts you would have to know how many were involved on both sides. And whether less would work

Less, per se, isn't a good thing. It may not be enough. And I'm not sure how, without faith, you'd be in a position to evaluate things for work ability.

An ant does no differently. If the questions don't arise then answers you need not seek. Nevertheless, you will have a reason for the morality you operate according to. You may not question where it comes from but you do have beliefs about why this is wrong and that right. And those will trace back to origin and meaning style questions.

You can operate by believing without ever asking why you believe as you do.

Or to put it another way: it is a weakly held belief. To be expected if you haven't really delved into the reason and root of why you hold it

Non-examination naturally makes things simple. Beliefs weakly held do not require much faith.

Simple doesn't mean that it is a sound worldview.

Again, I am not one that is inclined to believe anything for the sake if it. It does not follow that I am shallow in general or incapable of rational thought because I do not have an in depth position in an area that you hold dear. I do not simply have an interest in religion because I have no evidence that any religion has value. A superficial dismissal of the concept of God has been sufficient based on that.

My 'weakly held belief' in God(s) is not from lack of examination of available evidence. It is from the lack of available credible evidence to examine. I cannot concoct a narrative that goes beyond what I now understand given the history of all religions.

I suspect that my moral compass comes from genetics that would favour those that cooperate and play nice over those that would put self interest above the common good. Again, this is not faith based or a deeply held belief.

I do not think we can ever meet on this. I am not willing to submit that if I cannot see God it is because I am not looking at the evidence in the correct way or that my reasoning is flawed. I strongly suspect that you feel that I am just being contrary and don't really feel this way. Otherwise you would have accepted my answers already.

You.might want your subsets and differentiation but to the rest of us you have more in common (lacking belief in God) than you have in difference.

A bit like the Christian church.

Lack of belief is your flag (whether waved vigorously or not) just like Jesus Christ is the flag under which Christian's of all hues align.

You're looking at it from your perspective: seeing a world of difference between an atheist Buddhist and Richard 'Rational' Dawkins. I'm looking at it from my (and theists) perspective. That perspective has the world full of theists of some hue.

-

No - you do not speak for all theists therefore you cannot say that you are looking at things from a theists perspective in a way which implies all theists would agree with you.

There are many perspectatives among theists - far too many to be reflected in your particular version of Christianity. You can't even claim to be indicative of how all Christians view things, never mind how the worshippers of Thor in Iceland, or Ganesh in Mumbai, or Iesous in Skopelos might perceive things.
    You act as if you can speak for all - that your viewpoint will obviously encompass all theists - which is does not, and that your viewpoint can be tweaked to fit atheists, you just need to remove the 'God' part and replace it with a 'God shaped' hole/

There is no God shaped hole.
    There is no God shaped anything.
    Because to an atheist there simply is no God.

That is what you fail to grasp. Your belief, your god, your theistic perspective is utterly unimportant to someone for whom the concept of 'God' is meaningless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

From the other thread:
    Hopefully you will one day see what my aim is: stalemate.
    Well, at least you're aware of your despairing nihilism :rolleyes:

robindch wrote: »
    Not permitted because it's something which you are simply dreadful at.

Your basic premise, which you wheel out in so many of your posts with the predictability of a one-trick pony, is that since everybody believes something, that all conclusions are equally questionable. It's a silly notion which some railyard preacher might have blared in Apologetics-101 to a bunch of straw-chewing rednecks, but on the high plateaus where the big thinkers roam, it's like farting in a lift.

Anyway as Bannasidhe points out, you could always try asking somebody what they believe and then proceed from there. While it's not something a preacher would do, it is what somebody interested in a discussion would do.

Yeah, yeah..

Nozz wheeled out the 'accumulated data set' of all mankind as his ace card. Trouble is, he can't show it's the accumulated data set of all mankind.

Nor can he show that that data set is being interpreted properly.

What have you got to elevate your beliefs?

robindch wrote: »
    From the other thread:Well, at least you're aware of your despairing nihilism

Nihilism is the honest destination for an atheist to arrive at.

How feeble a worldview that can't evade being stalemated by a worldview you find so feeble.

No - you do not speak for all theists therefore you cannot say that you are looking at things from a theists perspective in a way which implies all theists would agree with you.

Don't you speak for all atheists? What about atheists who think atheism is a church?

There are many perspectatives among theists - far too many to be reflected in your particular version of Christianity. You can't even claim to be indicative of how all Christians view things, never mind how the worshippers of Thor in Iceland, or Ganesh in Mumbai, or Iesous in Skopelos might perceive things.
    You act as if you can speak for all - that your viewpoint will obviously encompass all theists - which is does not, and that your viewpoint can be tweaked to fit atheists, you just need to remove the 'God' part and replace it with a 'God shaped' hole/

There is no God shaped hole.
    There is no God shaped anything.
    Because to an atheist there simply is no God.

That is what you fail to grasp. Your belief, your god, your theistic perspective is utterly unimportant to someone for whom the concept of 'God' is meaningless.

All theists will agree that atheists have a common bond. Lack of belief.

Folk that see, see in different ways. But they will agree that those who lack sight have a common bond in lacking sight

(I know 'lacking sight' sounds as if the atheist is deficient. I don't mean it that way. That said, lacking belief is often posited to be a neutral thing by atheists. Whereas it can indeed be a deficiency)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

All theists will agree that atheists have a common bond. Lack of belief.

Folk that see, see in different ways. But they will agree that those who lack sight have a common bond in lacking sight

(I know 'lacking sight' sounds as if the atheist is deficient. I don't mean it that way. That said, lacking belief is often posited to be a neutral thing by atheists. Whereas it can indeed be a deficiency)

And how exactly did you come to know the minds of all theists? I would imagine that most theists would agree that atheists don't believe in a god or gods, that being the definition of the term. To assume that all of them consider this forms a bond is unfounded speculation. You might as well say that all people who don't support Manchester United Football Club have a common bond. e.g. that unspoken bond between Arsenal fans and the Manghut Mongolian herding clan. Total bull crap on a number of levels :)

Advertisement