Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-12-2014, 23:22   #31
katydid
Banned
 
katydid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender OF Faith View Post
Unfortunately the majority doesn't agree with you:

A third of Britons believe a woman who acts flirtatiously is partially or completely to blame for being raped, according to a new study.
More than a quarter also believe a woman is at least partly responsible for being raped if she wears sexy or revealing clothing, or is drunk, the study found.


Interesting when given the following scenario:

If the woman was wearing sexy or revealing clothing, 6pc said she was totally responsible and 20pc said she was partially responsible.


Most Brazilian – about 65 – percent agree that it is justified to rape women “wearing clothes showing their bodies.”

Am sorry but this is the reality of the world we live in. Not all men are self constraint as you are my friend, we live in a society that treat the women unjustly even though she is given "her rights".
A women is bashed and dishonoured by men is they found out she slept with multiple men before, however this doesn't apply to the man; similarly as you can see and I was quoting statistics not even from the Muslim world, many would blame the women for inviting the rape is she wore revealing outfits.

Now let me ask you this suppose we have two twin sister walking down the street and there's a hooligan or a bunch of hipsters on the street corner.

One of the sisters is dressed following the Islamic dress code with a Hijab and wide non-revealing clothing while the other is wearing a Mini-Skirt and a half buttoned shirt. Am asking the question who will this hooligan target?


A women is more vulnerable then a man in falling a victim and a prey to his weakness when compared with the man.
This is a fact all major world religion recognise and hence you will find that the holy scriptures of both the Hindus and Christians preaches that a women should cover her hair and dress modestly.


I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 1 Timothy 2:9-10


God made you women , so that you shall lower your gaze , do not look at men , keep your Feet close cover you hear and should not disclose the garment , which should conceal with the veil”
Rig Veda Book 8 Hymn 33 Mantra 19-20

As you can see Islam did not come with something new regarding the the subject of a women covering her head or dressing modestly, however Islam practice this the most out of the major religion and hence why the fingers is always pointed at Islam.

There's a small social experiment performed to contrast with the "women walking 10h in New York" with the women wearing the Islamic Hijab instead after first walking wearing her normal outfit which wasn't even bad indicating that the sickness is from men and the Islamic dress code offers the Muslim women a way to protect herself from the sickness of some men.

Notice how she does not receive a single cat call or a flirtatious gesture aferward.







Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ame-raped.html & http://www.ipea.gov.br/portal/images...a_mulheres.pdf
"Unfortunately the majority doesn't agree with you:

A third of Britons believe a woman who acts flirtatiously is partially or completely to blame for being raped, according to a new study.
[I]More than a quarter also believe.."

You do realise, don't you, that a third or a quarter of Britons is not a majority...? So Brazilians, who celebrate Mardi Gras with half naked women parading along their streets think rape is justified by the way a woman dresses...oh well, that says more about Brazilian society than about the West in general.

"A women is bashed and dishonoured by men is they found out she slept with multiple men before, however this doesn't apply to the man;"

She may be bashed, but she is certainly not dishonoured. The man dishonours himself by such behaviour. And trust me, women have other, more subtle, ways of dealing with men who cheat on them...
katydid is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-12-2014, 23:23   #32
katydid
Banned
 
katydid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender OF Faith View Post
I dont think there are many Muslim women in Board or at least some that are active on this forum however I will direct you to a massage made by a number of western Muslim women discussing the Niqab and not even the Hijab from their perspective.

I am not interested in what brainwashed women think of being captives.
katydid is offline  
(3) thanks from:
28-12-2014, 23:30   #33
niamhstokes
Banned
 
niamhstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
I am not interested in what brainwashed women think of being captives.
They look scary LOL seriously though
niamhstokes is offline  
28-12-2014, 23:32   #34
confusedquark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
I have read your posts, including the bolded bits, and I cannot see that we are getting anywhere. To discuss your points to your satisfaction, I would have to accept the basic premises that you have repeated and repeated, but which I do not accept.

I am never going to agree that it is a woman's responsibility to cover herself to save men from their passions.

I am never going to agree that it is appropriate for a man to be as paternalistic/patronising to women as posters here seem to think is natural.

I would be interested to know why there are not Muslim women contributing to this thread and expressing their views. The only time I have seen women admitting to being Muslim on Boards was in Personal Issues, where they were warning an Irish woman who was wondering about marrying a Muslim of the restrictive nature of marriage in those circumstances.
That's fine - I don't expect people to agree with my opinions, but I'd rather people hear our side of the story before forming their conclusions. There's a lot of inaccurate/stereotypical stuff out there and most people don't take the time to thoroughly look into these matters, so thanks for reading.

Regarding why Muslim women haven't contributed to this thread, well there are about 2 active Muslim users in this forum at any given time (if you're lucky), and whilst we do get the occasional female input - we just don't have the numbers.
confusedquark is offline  
28-12-2014, 23:34   #35
Defender OF Faith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
I am not interested in what brainwashed women think of being captives.
Funny enough I think the only person brainwashed her is yourself and no disrespected intended. You have been made to assume that a Hijab is a sign of oppression rather then modesty and when presented with examples of Muslim women who are living in the west meaning!!! that no one is forcing them to wear it! you claim that they are brainwashed without even listening to them.
Defender OF Faith is offline  
Advertisement
28-12-2014, 23:36   #36
niamhstokes
Banned
 
niamhstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender OF Faith View Post
Funny enough I think the only person brainwashed her is yourself and no disrespected intended. You have been made to assume that a Hijab is a sign of oppression rather then modesty and when presented with examples of Muslim women who are living in the west meaning!!! that no one is forcing them to wear it! you claim that they are brainwashed without even listening to them.
We should also remember that millions of muslim women don't wear the head covering too.
niamhstokes is offline  
28-12-2014, 23:38   #37
katydid
Banned
 
katydid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by niamhstokes View Post
They look scary LOL seriously though
No, you're right. There's something weird and unnatural about them. I suppose it is one way to turn men off...
katydid is offline  
28-12-2014, 23:44   #38
Defender OF Faith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by niamhstokes View Post
HAHAHA loook!!!!! I just talked about the Corinthians verses and how muslims misinterpret them. See my post above. They were directed at Corinthian society!!!
Read my post again I removed it to avoid this argument but apparently you have read it beforehand.

While true it was directed at Corinthian society it's not restricted to them.That's according to my knowledge and the sources I used if am wrong feel free to educate me.

"The veil or covering on the head of a believing Corinthian wife showed that she was under the authority of her husband, and therefore under submission to God..... In today's culture, we no longer view a woman's wearing of a head covering as a sign of submission. In most modern societies, scarves and hats are fashion accessories. A woman has the choice to wear a head covering if she views it as a sign of her submission to the authority of her husband. However, it is a personal choice and not something that should be used to judge spirituality"

Source: http://www.gotquestions.org/head-coverings.html

Last edited by Defender OF Faith; 28-12-2014 at 23:50.
Defender OF Faith is offline  
28-12-2014, 23:47   #39
katydid
Banned
 
katydid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender OF Faith View Post
Funny enough I think the only person brainwashed her is yourself and no disrespected intended. You have been made to assume that a Hijab is a sign of oppression rather then modesty and when presented with examples of Muslim women who are living in the west meaning!!! that no one is forcing them to wear it! you claim that they are brainwashed without even listening to them.
Hijab IS a sign of oppression since the premise of wearing it is to stop men from being turned on and turning into sex manics. It puts the onus on women to cover up so men don't have to make an effort to exercise self-control. Other women don't need to cover themselves up when interacting with men, because the basis of their relationship with men is mutual respect.

There are many people who do things that debase and oppress them; it's some kind of masochistic gene, I suppose.

You may not intend to be disrespectful when calling me brainwashed, but you are being disrespectful, in the same way as you disrespect me by calling me "sister". You are not treating me as an equal, when you try to convince me that I don't understand why women would choose to give in to the weakness of men instead of standing up to them.
katydid is offline  
Advertisement
28-12-2014, 23:49   #40
confusedquark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
I am not interested in what brainwashed women think of being captives.
Unbelievable. You will consider rights and choices that Muslim women have (and men don't) as discrimination and misogyny, you will strip them of their choices against their will and consider it their "liberation" and when educated Muslim women living in the west stand up to explain their perspectives, you'll very easily dismiss them as being brainwashed.

It's pointless in me carrying on any further. I have made all the points I wanted to make in starting this thread. Each to their own opinions.
confusedquark is offline  
28-12-2014, 23:58   #41
katydid
Banned
 
katydid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedquark View Post
Unbelievable. You will consider rights and choices that Muslim women have (and men don't) as discrimination and misogyny, you will strip them of their choices against their will and consider it their "liberation" and when educated Muslim women living in the west stand up to explain their perspectives, you'll very easily dismiss them as being brainwashed.

It's pointless in me carrying on any further. I have made all the points I wanted to make in starting this thread. Each to their own opinions.
But of course they are brainwashed. Women who are brought up as equals to men, who turn around and decide to submit to men and cover themselves so that men don't have the effort to show them respect are brainwashed, and not capable of explaining their own oppression.

It is indeed pointless for you to continue because you have failed to understand that women are not weak creatures who need protection or that men are not weak creatures who are incapable of self-control. If what you portray is Islam, it doesn't have a very high opinion of either men or women...
katydid is offline  
29-12-2014, 01:33   #42
niamhstokes
Banned
 
niamhstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 134
Burqa Causes Vitamin Deficiency in Ireland...
MUSLIM women who wear the burqa in Ireland are at increased risk of pelvic fractures during childbirth because of vitamin D deficiency due to a lack of sunlight, a consultant warns.

Babies born to women with vitamin D deficiency are also more prone to seizures in their first week of life, according to Dr Miriam Casey, of the Osteoporosis Unit in St James’s hospital in Dublin.

A burqa is an enveloping outer garment worn by some Muslim women. In hot countries, enough sunlight gets through to give them sufficient vitamin D, but this may not happen in countries where there is limited sunshine, such as Ireland and Britain.

Casey said she was aware of cases involving pelvic fractures, and warned that these could become more frequent as Ireland’s Muslim population increased. “Ireland’s temperate climate doesn’t have the intense sunlight that keeps burqa-clad women from becoming vitamin D-deficient in their own countries,” she said.
Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium and is crucial for making bones strong. The greatest source is sunlight.

Casey said the fractures occur at sites of particular weakness which develop in under-mineralised pelvic bones. In these women's babies, low calcium can cause “serious complications such as seizures, growth retardation, muscle weakness and fractures”.
“As a toddler, carrying the weight of the torso can force the development of a bow-legged appearance and a waddling gait,” she said. “Later, there can be rickets, which is caused by vitamin D deficiency, with swollen wrists and bones that fail to fuse in adolescence.”

Darker skins can produce as little as 1% of the vitamin D that fair skins produce. Moreover, studies have found that the rate of many diseases rises the further north one moves, leading researchers to suspect that vitamin D may play a greater role in health than previously thought.
Casey said: “As we see a rise in the number of Muslims in Ireland, it’s going to become a massive problem. It’s worse in England whose Muslim community is older. There are already problems in the Rotunda [a maternity hospital in Dublin] and the paediatric hospitals.”
A spokeswoman for the Islamic community in Ireland said she was unaware of health problems suffered by women wearing burqas.

Last year, Muslim women in the UK were warned that wearing the hijab could cause poor health for them and their babies. A UK government spokesman said: “We are not interfering in a Muslim woman’s right to wear the hijab, but we are stressing that we all need sunlight on our skins.”
niamhstokes is offline  
Thanks from:
29-12-2014, 10:41   #43
katydid
Banned
 
katydid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by niamhstokes View Post

Last year, Muslim women in the UK were warned that wearing the hijab could cause poor health for them and their babies. A UK government spokesman said: “We are not interfering in a Muslim woman’s right to wear the hijab, but we are stressing that we all need sunlight on our skins.”
If they don't care about their own health, they should think of their children.
katydid is offline  
Thanks from:
29-12-2014, 18:54   #44
muslimstudent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
I am not interested in what brainwashed women think of being captives.
Do you really think so little of Muslim women?
What about women of different faiths who dress according to their religious teachings. Women like nuns, mormons, Amish and jewish women?

Are they all brainwashed.

Conversely, are women who dress in modern, less conservative clothes brainwashed by, lets say the fashion industry>
muslimstudent is offline  
Thanks from:
29-12-2014, 18:58   #45
muslimstudent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by niamhstokes View Post

Last year, Muslim women in the UK were warned that wearing the hijab could cause poor health for them and their babies. A UK government spokesman said: “We are not interfering in a Muslim woman’s right to wear the hijab, but we are stressing that we all need sunlight on our skins.”
Sufficient natural light enters through the glazing.

Muslim women do not wear the hijab indoors or in their gardens or courtyards.
muslimstudent is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet