Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-03-2020, 10:28   #1
lfen

Large offices & COVID-19

Why are workplaces an exception to the rule discouraging gatherings of more than 100 people?

The virus doesn’t care if you are at a concert or at your desk!

Would be interested to know if many other companies are still expecting staff into their offices?

We are set up to work from home but CEO feels that it’s not necessary.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 10:33   #2
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfen View Post
Why are workplaces an exception to the rule discouraging gatherings of more than 100 people?

Would be interested to know if many other companies are still expecting staff into their offices?

I wonder what would have to happen to make working at home necessary?

Half the staff at home and generous spacing would seem the way forward.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 10:47   #3
krissovo

People generally respect personal space in a office and the spacing can be quite generous between desks. Very different to a concert or pub.
16-03-2020, 11:56   #4
lfen

My thoughts exactly. Someone to get it and spread it around the office perhaps?

We have staff members telling us that they have relatives awaiting test results so it's very possible that someone in here will get it.
16-03-2020, 21:32   #5
sweetmaggie

I work in civil service. Our department has got much quieter in the last week due to Coronavirus.....the demand for our service has dropped off.
I work on a team which is mostly people in their mid twenties. I am 60. There is one bottle of sanitizer in the entire building of over 200 people - it is at the clock in area. There is none in the bathroom or at work areas. I've made my own sanitizer but its not very strong and may not be effective enough. I am very worried about picking up this virus.

We share document pouches, we operate machines with everyone touching screens, buttons and keyboards. From when I enter the building I have 10 doors to go through from going to the clock in area back to the floor I work on. Same again at lunchtime and break. I could be going through doors up to 40 times a day, that's a lot of door handles. The younger crowd were all talking about their weekend in pubs in Dublin. I feel very uneasy about this. Our work is non essential under the circumstaces right now, its not medical or Social welfare.

Do I have to keep going to work when I feel this uneasy and worried? I live alone and my kids live abroad. If I get sick I am going to be completely alone.
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 22:42   #6
lfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmaggie View Post
I work in civil service. Our department has got much quieter in the last week due to Coronavirus.....the demand for our service has dropped off.
I work on a team which is mostly people in their mid twenties. I am 60. There is one bottle of sanitizer in the entire building of over 200 people - it is at the clock in area. There is none in the bathroom or at work areas. I've made my own sanitizer but its not very strong and may not be effective enough. I am very worried about picking up this virus.

We share document pouches, we operate machines with everyone touching screens, buttons and keyboards. From when I enter the building I have 10 doors to go through from going to the clock in area back to the floor I work on. Same again at lunchtime and break. I could be going through doors up to 40 times a day, that's a lot of door handles. The younger crowd were all talking about their weekend in pubs in Dublin. I feel very uneasy about this. Our work is non essential under the circumstaces right now, its not medical or Social welfare.

Do I have to keep going to work when I feel this uneasy and worried? I live alone and my kids live abroad. If I get sick I am going to be completely alone.
That’s an awful situation to be in. I’m young & healthy and I’m freaked out so can’t imagine how you feel. Is there a HR department you can raise it with?
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 23:28   #7
Mrs OBumble

Quote:

What did your manager say when you discussed your concerns with them?
16-03-2020, 23:33   #8
whatnext

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfen View Post

Hospitals and the HSE for one reason.
The food and medical supply chain for another.
There are many others but those ones should be enough.
16-03-2020, 23:40   #9
Linking123!

If the distance is safe the only way to catch would be touching door handles etc.? Even if you sat in the same room right?
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 23:42   #10
august12

Quote:

This maybe if interest to you, issued by FORSA today.

https://www.forsa.ie/covid-19-advice-to-forsa-members/
Thanks from:
17-03-2020, 00:02   #11
sweetmaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by august12 View Post
This maybe if interest to you, issued by FORSA today.

https://www.forsa.ie/covid-19-advice-to-forsa-members/

Thanks for link , I’m a TCO and not in a union so I doubt I could contact FORSA?

To answer other poster I haven’t discussed this with my manager , I’ve just been thinking about it a lot today . I mentioned to a colleague in my age group about no hand sanitizer near the machines some of us use and share . Nobody else seems to even notice this.
I’m fit and healthy and spent the weekend hiking mountains with a friend but I was more aware of self isolation on the mountains with one person than my colleagues or manager seem to be in an office full of people .
17-03-2020, 00:20   #12
ressem

Our business has been divided into groups, people who can work from home are to do so.
Admittance into the building by essential externals only with advance notice and a declaration of previous travel approved.
Groups are expected to keep to the group while in-office. Staggered groups for breaks, clocking in & out, no mingling of groups in the canteen etc.

So if an entire section of the employees have to self-isolate, others will hopefully be unaffected.
It decreases 'leanness' and flexibility, but at least it's hoped things can keep running.

Surfaces are cleaned repeatedly during the day with alcohol.
Spacing between workspaces is enforced, using the space created by remote workers + placing work desks / machinery further apart.
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2020, 00:26   #13
ligerdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfen

Perhaps the CEO should show some solidarity and how safe it is by sitting among the regular members of staff rather than in an isolated office well away from anyone else so.
17-03-2020, 00:30   #14
august12

Quote:
Thanks for link , I’m a TCO and not in a union so I doubt I could contact FORSA?

To answer other poster I haven’t discussed this with my manager , I’ve just been thinking about it a lot today . I mentioned to a colleague in my age group about no hand sanitizer near the machines some of us use and share . Nobody else seems to even notice this.
I’m fit and healthy and spent the weekend hiking mountains with a friend but I was more aware of self isolation on the mountains with one person than my colleagues or manager seem to be in an office full of people .
Forsa took info from HSE site,

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coron...sk-groups.html
Thanks from:
17-03-2020, 08:05   #15
sweetmaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by august12 View Post
Guess I’m ok so ...... I just turned 60 two months ago but I’ve got good health, no underlying conditions and I’m fit .
I live alone (which is the main reason I’d hate to get virus in case I got it badly) but it’s also helping lower my exposure. If I get this it will be through work . Fingers crossed . Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion