Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Jewish community

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

donaghs wrote: »
    Most fled the programs in the Russian Empire in the late 19th century. Especially from the Baltic area.

Census data supports that very clearly.

In 1871 there were 300 people identifying as Jews in the area now comprising the Irish republic.

1n 1901 there were 3,000--a tenfold increase!!

There were two great migrations in Europe in the second half of the 19th century. One was the exodus (I know, but it fits) of Jews from the Russian Empire fleeing Czarist persecutions. They were mainly to be found in the Pale of Settlement, which included what are now the Baltic republics, where Jews were permitted to live.

They fled in droves because of the miserable treatment and poverty to which they were subjected. It's where most of today's Irish Jew originated from, but then the same could be said of most of the Jews currently living in Britain, France and especially America.

The other great migration of course was the clearing out of Ireland whose population HALVED in the second half of the 19th century. We went mainly to Britain, America and Australia.

The Irish Jewish community is small but highly prodigious. It never numbered more than 4,000 people in the 20th century but in that time produced:
    Two Lord Mayors of Dublin (Bobby and Ben Briscoe)
    One Lord Mayor of Cork (Gerald Goldberg)
    Four TDs (The Briscoes, Mervyn Taylor and Alan Shatter, representing respectively FF, Labour and FG)
    At least one international soccer player (Louis Bookman)
    At least one international rugby player (Bethel Solomon)
    Several chairmen of the Dublin stock exchange (most of them called Abrahamson)
    Numerous contributors to the arts, (Stella Steyn, David Marcus, among others)
    Many prominent lawyers (well duh) including War of Independence hero Michael Noyk
    And of course, a president of Israel. (Chaim Herzog)

Not bad for a community of 4,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

That's probably the un-funniest joke I've seen on this website in a long time, and I'm the author of a fair few in that category myself.
    Visitors of this website love regurgitating old jokes and ideologies. That poster in particular could do with visiting some of the sites where the Nazis committed their atrocities. It might teach him not to be so flippant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

And yes, I've met one or two here. Most of them in Trinity College. Good guys, for the most part. Same as anyone else, really. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

My favourite Jewish joke is, (fingers off the trigger Mods!) from Groucho Marx.

He was trying to get into a pool at a country club and was told there were no Jews allowed. He said, "My wife is only half Jewish, can she go in up to her waist?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Your agenda is becoming clear. 3/10.
    You're a wind-up merchant. Nothing more. It only takes a cursory look at your posting history to underline that.

Mod note: There's no compunction on you to post in the thread, you know? Even better, why don't you stop posting on this thread altogether.

Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes.
    Worked with one and shared office in college with one.
    The latter went to Israel, but managed to p**s them off so much they sent him packing back home.

And you know what I might have interacted with a lot more.
    Unless one wears their religion on their sleeve it is kinda hard to know what someone is or what someone believes in :eek:

Sadly never met any Irish or even British Jewish ladies that hold a candle to Israelis. :o
    Did some flying in New Zealand with nice Israeli lady.
    She found the Scots Presbyterian Kiwis, including her boyfriend's family, a bit dour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was pals with a Jewish girl in college and she was great fun but we lost touch after we graduated. I also worked with a very morose Irish-Jewish guy for one summer - he could be really nice at times, very withdrawn other times and drank like a fish at the after work socials.

That's about it. From what I've heard the tiny Irish Jewish community have lost numbers due to intermarriage with non Jewish Irish and emigration to Israel.

As a community, they have punched way way above their weight.

I don't think Corbyn is pushing an anti Semitic message, but he's not doing enough to clamp down on those who are, and his friendship with hardline islamists isn't helping the situation.
    Your summary of the situation might be too kind. Corbyn has praised a book about Jews being in charge of international finance as "brilliant".

Maybe Corbyn didn't really read the book whose foreword he wrote, but when you add it to all of the other genuine concerns about his stance on anti-semitism, there are legitimate concerns about him.

This is a bigger issue in the UK than it is in Ireland, because we have almost no Jewish population.

But the only Jewish people I know live in London, this is a real issue for them and their families. It's not nice to reflect on the fact that your next leader might object to your existence. I'm on the left, maybe further to the left than Corbyn says he is, but even I couldn't tolerate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xiba vajo

Hurrache wrote: »
    One of the Jewish groups said today that Corbyn is the greatest enabler of anti semitism, or words to that effect, since WWII.

and another jewish group backs him, altough they themselves have been accused of being antisemetic for just raising questions...

jewishvoiceforlabour.org. uk/article/questions-for-the-jewish-labour-movement/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Your summary of the situation might be too kind. Corbyn has praised a book about Jews being in charge of international finance as "brilliant".

Maybe Corbyn didn't really read the book whose foreword he wrote, but when you add it to all of the other genuine concerns about his stance on anti-semitism, there are legitimate concerns about him.

This is a bigger issue in the UK than it is in Ireland, because we have almost no Jewish population.

But the only Jewish people I know live in London, this is a real issue for them and their families. It's not nice to reflect on the fact that your next leader might object to your existence. I'm on the left, maybe further to the left than Corbyn says he is, but even I couldn't tolerate him.

Yet there's no evidence Corbyn is antisemetic, certainly not enough to cause legitimate fear should he become Prime Minister. In fact we've had decades of bigoted Tories and things haven't gone too far off track until pretty recently and from the far right not left.
    There is a smear campaign though. Case in point, a thread on the Irish Jewish community warning us about Jeremy Corbyn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,891 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hobson's book on Imperialism WASN'T actually about that and it's been generally considered a "brilliant" book as a study tool for the times it was written in. In 1902, you'd be hard pressed to find many people who didn't have such views. Books can offer "brilliant" insights into history, without being totally agreeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've met two in Ireland, a German exchange student who turned out to be great craic after I thought her to be very humourless for the first 6 months we were in the same year. Lost touch a year or two after she went back home.

The other was a friend of a relation we met at a house party a good while back. He had a very dry sense of humour and we had great hopballs off each other all night. He got married in London a while after and moved over as the community seems too small to be self sustainable now.

My Uncle would know quite a few in Dublin as he used do a lot on business with Israel and they seem a great people for networking. It's a great pity the community seems to be dying out now, there are a great number of interesting characters here down the years.

One of the Jewish groups said today that Corbyn is the greatest enabler of anti semitism, or words to that effect, since WWII.

:rolleyes:

If an 0.08% level of anti Semitic accusation is "the greatest enabler of anti semitism, or words to that effect, since WWII", then my decades of study into WWII have all been for naught.

I find it amazing how this nonsense finds legs so quickly.

Yet there's no evidence Corbyn is antisemetic,
    Even Mr Hitler didn't come out and say "Lads, I'm an anti-semite". We kind of gathered it from inference.

There is no way that Corbyn is anywhere near as close to being an anti-Semite of that nature. I wouldn't suggest that for a moment. But he has endorsed some really anti-semitic commentary, and he has failed to do much (anything?) about the fact that certain people are being drawn to the Labour Party as an outlet for their anti-semitism. Even senior figures in Labour accept that this is happening.

I'm saying that we in Ireland, even those of us who are dissatisfied with the Left, or who want something more radical, ought to be wary of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tony EH wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If an 0.08% level of anti Semitic accusation is "the greatest enabler of anti semitism, or words to that effect, since WWII", then my decades of study into WWII have all been for naught.

I find it amazing how this nonsense finds legs so quickly.

"Since WWII..." and "enabler" are the important words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

There's a small but very well integrated Jewish population in Ireland that goes way back. I think some people sometimes make sweeping assumptions that absolutely everyone in Ireland's Catholic or protestant (and usually they define that as C of I). Ireland was fairly homogeneous but I think it's a lot more diverse than we give it credit for. I'd know a few families who were from more obscure religious backgrounds like Society of Friends / Quakers and I even have some indirect Indian connections in my family from the 19th century.

One of my great aunts was married to a Jewish guy (both long since passed away as she was way older than my grandparents). Their kids were raised more agnostic than Jewish or Catholic, but they'd be well aware of their Jewish and continental European heritage on one side - absolute Dubs to the core. My grandmother's GP (long retired) is Jewish, again old-school Dubs and one of those really warm characters who would bend over backwards to help.

I'd also know a few Jewish people in Cork City who are very much part of the old City Centre community and as Corkonian as a pint of Beamish.

I also shared a house with a gay couple in Boston who were both Jewish, and spent my time comparing Irish mammies and Jewish-American mammies - they're remarkably similar in terms of patronising behaviour.

I'd say you're seeing a growing community because more people are moving to Ireland to work in all sorts of sectors and it's actually a fairly open-minded kind of place with very little antisemitic issues.

There's a lot nonsense being whipped up by people conflating being Jewish with the dominant political parties in Israel. That's really unfair as one's a religious and cultural identity and the other is a group of political parties that are only representing the people they voted for. It would be like trying to blame every Irish person or Christian with connections to Ireland on the DUP's policies or something like that. Or, trying to claim every American supports Donald Trump. Or that every British person is somehow responsible for the far right of the Tories or every french person is somehow responsible for Le Pen.

While you can't generalise about any community, for the most part, I found American and British Jewish communities mostly very socially progressive, warm, friendly and open. It's a terrible shame that all this antisemitic bile is bubbling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I dunno. There is a tiny population of Jews in Ireland, so it's interesting to me and others to meet Irish Jewish folk.

Not just nationalists are anti Semitic now - if anything I find that there is a fake solidarity with Jews these days, whereby they're being used to create anti Islam feeling, by people who would have been anti Semitic in the past, or associated with hardline neo fascist types.

Hilariously, loyalists pretend to have great time for Jews.

Judging by what was revealed on BBC's Panorama last night re the British Labour Party, there is major anti semitism among far left folk. They deem Jews ultra capitalist and of course: Israel.

That labour party anti semetic hysteria is nothing but a carefully engineered smear job to prevent corbyn becoming PM, there was no talk of any of this when Labour had centrist leaders

The city of London ( rather than any group to do with Israel) are likely behind it, a PM like corbyn is terrifying to the 1%

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That labour party anti semetic hysteria is nothing but a carefully engineered smear job to prevent corbyn becoming PM

The city of London ( rather than any group to do with Israel) are likely behind it, a PM like corbyn is terrifying to the 1%

There's a forum and many other threads for this type of stuff.

Even Mr Hitler didn't come out and say "Lads, I'm an anti-semite". We kind of gathered it from inference.

Speaking of Mr. Hitler, most historians consider 'Mein Kampf' a "brilliant" insight into what he was thinking before he got to power in 1933.

Would that make them "anti Semitic" too. Or just able to understand that "brilliant" doesn't mean "I agree with this".
    There is no way that Corbyn is anywhere near as close to being an anti-Semite of that nature. I wouldn't suggest that for a moment. But he has endorsed some really anti-semitic commentary, and he has failed to do much (anything?) about the fact that certain people are being drawn to the Labour Party as an outlet for their anti-semitism. Even senior figures in Labour accept that this is happening.

I have seen nothing at all to even remotely suggest that Corbyn is anti Semitic in any way. In fact, he's gone out of his way to meet members of the British Jewish community on many occasions.

The thing is though, is that Corbyn is a vocal supporter of a two State solution in Palestine and that rubs the likes of Bibi up the wrong way entirely.

As for "facts", the only factual data to have emerged from all of this is below:

There were

1106 allegations of anti Semitism against the Labour Party logged
    433 were by people with no association with the Labour Party at all
    220 were dismissed due to lack of any evidence

So there's 453 cases to be investigated and the nature of those have yet to be fully determined.

That's a staggering 0.08% of Labour Party membership.

"Since WWII..." and "enabler" are the important words.

They're no less bullshit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm to the right of genghis Khan and would never vote for corbyn but I know a conspiracy when I see one, systematic anti semetism doesn't arrive in that length of time, like I said, no talk of this a few short years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The US is home to a relatively large (Jewish) Hasidic community. The communities tend to be very conservative in the way they choose to live their lives including such things as restricted internet access and semi arranged marriages.

BBC documentary here.

Speaking of Mr. Hitler, most historians consider 'Mein Kampf' a "brilliant" insight into what he was thinking before he got to power in 1933.

Would that make them "anti Semitic" too. Or just able to understand that "brilliant" doesn't mean "I agree with this".
    If they were any way familiar with the english language, they'd probably describe his text as having been "brilliantly insightful" as opposed to his text being "brilliant", which latter comment was offered by Corbyn.

I'd love to be a supporter of Corbyn. I have UK voting rights, so have waited all my life to find a political leader like him, especially one on the radical left. It's just that Corbyn makes me really uncomfortable. I'm not sure how radical-left he is, but am pretty assured of his tolerance of anti-semitism.

They're no less bullshit though.

I didn't write it, but someone who's closer than you and I to it obviously feels he's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I did Nazi that joke coming at all.

Disgusted but not surprised by this comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

There’s a clear agenda here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xiba vajo

Disgusted but not surprised by this comment.

and, honestly, we shouldn't stand for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I'd love to be a supporter of Corbyn. I have UK voting rights, so have waited all my life to find a political leader like him, especially one on the radical left. It's just that Corbyn makes me really uncomfortable. I'm not sure how radical-left he is, but am pretty assured of his tolerance of anti-semitism.

Well then the propaganda has worked on you.

Here’s a question: do people think that Labour was always anti Semitic or that it has only become so recently. If so what mechanism was used to allow anti semites into the party. If Corbyn is anti Semitic then why wasn’t this mentioned when he was a backbencher ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I'm tending to ignore UK politics in general. Both major parties are ripping themselves to shreds for some reason.

• Advertisement

If they were any way familiar with the english language, they'd probably describe his text as having been "brilliantly insightful" as opposed to his text being "brilliant", which latter comment was offered by Corbyn.

He also called the book "very controversial" too. But, if quibbling over semantics are going to be a feature of proving someone is guilty of racism, then we're all in trouble.

Look, this foreword was written nearly 10 years ago and nobody gave a shit then. It's also a book that's been required reading in many universities, too, for students.

But, it's only now that it's offered up a some sort of smoking gun and proof of Corbyn's alleged anti Semitism. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Frankly, it stinks to high heaven.

Advertisement