Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

AEW Dark next week is stacked and the main event is Cage vs Pillman Jr for the FTW belt.

I dont understand feeding Pillman Jr to Cage. Cage surely will win and look strong. Which puzzles me as to why book a new guy with against him. Yeah PJ is green but feeding him to Cage makes no sense, unless they make him look strong in defeat. Which they shouldn't.

An odd match IMO.

Thered only one way to book Cage and Mox IMO. Dq finish where Moxs wins but gets destroyed by Cage, shelving him for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah, I think if you're ever going to do a DQ finish, now is the time. It's not a ppv and both guys have such upside it makes total sense.

There's such a bigger payoff down the stretch if Cage can stay undefeated for a while.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Personally I like OC. Ive enjoyed his work thus far in AEW. Make no mistake I don't think he is the second coming of The Rock or Austin..... hell I dont think hes a main eventer in his current form. I like him in the same way I enjoyed The Hurricane tangle with The Rock.

Is he drawing? I really cant say I watch AEW for him alone, nor do I watch any show for 1 guy. He sells good merch, maybe in a way akin to Zack Ryder at the height of his fame. Fans seem to enjoy him, well the majority seem to at least.

I dont think wrestling as a whole is a successful business in the US. Ratings are low across the board. Hes as successful as anyone at the moment though. Good for him I say.
    Sirsok wrote: »
    I was just about to write it's like the Hurricane and The Rock!

Fun gimmick that will have a shelf life , probably have a taken seriously angle eventually
    It most certainly has a shelf life, it will grow stale eventually but it all depends on hows its booked.

OC as a character or a performer will need to evolve long term. Right now, its over and Im fairly entertained and happy with the booking thus far.
    sky88 wrote: »
    I really enjoy oc I don’t think he’ll ever be a main eventer for the title but entertaining characters always have there place in any wrestling show
    Exactly. Riggt now OC is fine in his role and I see no issue with him rubbing shoulders with top tier performers.

Is he a main eventer in his current form? No.

Could the wrestler or character evolve to the point where he could? Probably, anything is possible.

So we all agree then, mid card gimmick at best :P

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So we all agree then, mid card gimmick at best :P

Yes i agree, I disagreed that he was a draw though. I feel its unfair to say hes not a draw. Hes as much of a draw as anyone in AEW at the minute.

That Cage v Pillman match was a great squash. Pillman got just enough initial offense to show he's not a complete pushover, then cage quickly got on top and beat him with ease, and got some extra heat afterwards.

Exactly what Archer v Janella should have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Alan Angels aka 5 from Dark Order really impressed me on AEW Dark. Cool for some lesser guys to get a shine

• Registered Users Posts: 60,182 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoy Taz and Excalibur on commentary.

Dark is a really good show they should out it on TNT as well on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Dark is really good, it definitely flys under the radar. Some of the lesser-knowns get a chance to shine and everybody is presented very well.

Dark shows that pretty straight forward matches and simple booking still succeeds at getting people over and making a decent show. You can get behind the "come up", see people progress, etc. I wonder who books it, because it has far better consistency than the main show, in certain respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

Tazz is such a great colour man the best in the business and now as a manger he is going be a huge asset to AEW.

• Advertisement

Tazz is such a great colour man the best in the business and now as a manger he is going be a huge asset to AEW.

I liken him to Jose Mourinho. He was once a top announcer but hes past his sell by date.

I'd rather he were a little more heelish on commentary, to give more credence to his managerial role. But otherwise I must say I like him.

And if he's Mourinho, JR must be what, Brian Clough?

I'd rather he were a little more heelish on commentary, to give more credence to his managerial role. But otherwise I must say I like him.

And if he's Mourinho, JR must be what, Brian Clough?

John Giles

MJF and Wardlow the only two in the crowd not wearing masks. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Jericho has really become a parody of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,083 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

AEW is a parody. They will never grow their audience while their biggest star is doing promos about ratings and how the demo is actually the important thing.

One person may say it's meta-humour, another may say it's self-indulgent shíte. They're catering their show to an ultra-niche internet audience and it is the rock they will perish on.

Also, the ending to Moxley/Cage is one of the worst match-endings this year. They've got a new monster heel who looks like a star and what do they do? Throw in the towel while Moxley has him in a submission and Moxley is just taking the piss with Tazz while doing it.

The last shovel of dirt in the Omega burial - selling for Marko Stunt.

I don't mind the finish in the main event. However I have no faith in them keeping Cage's run on track. How long before he's going 20 minutes back and forth with Janella?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

really odd finish with cage/mox dont get it but i think this has happened with archer and now cage and will happen with kross in NXT i suspect too but build a monster then lose the first big match i dont like it.

i do find it hard to see omega selling for marko but it was a incredibly fun 6 man tag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Finish looked rough. Moxley should have lost or it should have ended with a DQ finish or something that kept Cage looking strong while Moxley still retained. Was always going to be a questionable encounter given Cage just recently debuted. Shouldn't have been pushed into the title scene so fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

What happened to the sports based presentation we were promised. I was hoping for wrestling that I wouldn't be embarrassed to turn on if the lads were over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They made a point of Cage having his biceps torn in the build up to the match so Taz throwing in the towel while his client was caught in a vicious submission does make sense really.

Credible presentation is there in patches. But it's lost in the noise of all the silly stuff.

A few handle their business in a believable way - Cody, MJF, Moxley (one or two death matches aside), Jericho (until he lost the title). But everyone else is either green, or Indyrific beyond repair.

AEW started off on nearly 1.5m viewers, which almost immediately dropped to a fairly stable range of ~700k. This gave the impression that the Wednesday night audience was roughly 50-50 split between people who wanted the NXT style, and people who liked the AEW's mix of sports-based and Indie style.

However as AEW's credibility continues to erode away, their viewership has stabilized in the 500k range. This suggests the hardcore audience is smaller than the estimated 50%. Instead, it seems like (much like myself) many viewers were sticking with AEW, hoping they'd get it right and drop the sillyness. But nearly a year in, these viewers (much like myself) have lost their enthusiasm and optimism. I won't be jumping over to NXT as I detest the WWE product, but I can't tell you how much longer I'll stick with AEW.

Their Chairmen tweeting about "the demo", claiming victory in the face of utter failure, is worrying.

Credible presentation is there in patches. But it's lost in the noise of all the silly stuff.

A few handle their business in a believable way - Cody, MJF, Moxley (one or two death matches aside), Jericho (until he lost the title). But everyone else is either green, or Indyrific beyond repair.

AEW started off on nearly 1.5m viewers, which almost immediately dropped to a fairly stable range of ~700k. This gave the impression that the Wednesday night audience was roughly 50-50 split between people who wanted the NXT style, and people who liked the AEW's mix of sports-based and Indie style.

However as AEW's credibility continues to erode away, their viewership has stabilized in the 500k range. This suggests the hardcore audience is smaller than the estimated 50%. Instead, it seems like (much like myself) many viewers were sticking with AEW, hoping they'd get it right and drop the sillyness. But nearly a year in, these viewers (much like myself) have lost their enthusiasm and optimism. I won't be jumping over to NXT as I detest the WWE product, but I can't tell you how much longer I'll stick with AEW.

Their Chairmen tweeting about "the demo", claiming victory in the face of utter failure, is worrying.

WWE's is about 2 million and dropping by week for both it's main shows.

Wednesday wrestling both AEW & AEW is watched by about 1.5 million combined.

What that tells me in a Country of about 330m people wrestling really is a niche market that attracts about 1.5m to 2 million regular hardcore viewers a week and one of the channels FOX is free to air on a prime time 8pm slot on a Friday night.

WWE's is about 2 million and dropping by week for both it's main shows.

Wednesday wrestling both AEW & AEW is watched by about 1.5 million

What that tells me in a Country of about 330m people wrestling really is a niche market that attracts about 1.5m to 2 million viewers a week and one of the channels FOX is free to air on a prime time slot on a Friday night.

Performance of flagship WWE shows on other nights aren't relevant for a discussion on what AEW should be doing with their product.

The fact is, 1.5m people were willing to give AEW a chance, and they've lost 66% of them.

Ok.

Reading some posts the posters seems very very angry and I'm worried reading the posts the poster will burst a blood vessel the posts say to me the poster might need to take a break from wrestling for a while as it seems like the poster doesn't get any enjoyment from it and its gets the poster unsettlingly upset while watching it.

I have to say I really enjoyed this weeks Fight for the Fallen and think the told good stories with some get wrestling and nice entertainment with some good comedy segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭ThePott

Ratings isn't monitoring the whole population of America, just those with Nielsen boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Omega has sold for a 9 year old girl so selling for Marko Stunt isn't really a shock. Also led to the attack at the end. Just hope they don't brush that off like they seem to keep doing. The destroyer looked cool though.

Looked like Sonny took the Cross Rhodes badly.

So we'll get to hear Vickie a lot? Great! At least she's gone back to "Excuse me" and not using the "Are you kidding me?!"

• Advertisement

Cage v Moxley was booked too early. Everything about the timing was off. They should have built cage up longer before putting him in a program with the champ.

I was hoping for Moxley Cage to be booked like an old Hogan match in terms psychology. Cage looking dominant, Mox not quitting, with the Finish being Cage being DQed somehow. Cage then going berserk and injuring Mox badly.

The finish made Cage look weak and kinda neuters him.

Advertisement