16-06-2017, 19:19   #1

CE licence

Quick one, anyone know if I need to have a full C before I can take a CE test or can I train to take CE full test and then get C/C1/CE ? Also, do I need to wait 6 months on the C tests like the others.
Advertisement
16-06-2017, 19:35   #2

Managed to find the answer within the first few pages of the theory test book!

'Q. What category full licence must a driver hold before applying for a category CE (articulated truck) learner permit? A. C'
Thanks from:
16-06-2017, 21:57   #3
neris

You need C first once you have passed C you can go for CE. Pass C and when going to ndls to get C added onto license get your CE permit at same time. . Full C gets you C1 automatically. And dont forget your medical
18-06-2017, 15:01   #4

Cheers!

I'm guessing I need to get the social card then also for the theory test?
29-01-2020, 20:39   #5
Mcloupj1

I am currently driving buses and coaches. I have also recently passed my C licence and I am considering getting the CE licence. Is learning to drive an artic much more difficult than rigids and coaches. What do you have to concentrate on more so than what I do everyday now.
Advertisement
01-02-2020, 21:12   #6
somefeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcloupj1 View Post
I am currently driving buses and coaches. I have also recently passed my C licence and I am considering getting the CE licence. Is learning to drive an artic much more difficult than rigids and coaches. What do you have to concentrate on more so than what I do everyday now.
Biggest thing for me is that you can't see the tail swing on tight turns.
You also come at corners a bit differently. You still take them wide, but you can over shoot the corner and pivot the trailer around with the unit.
I don't think I'm explaining myself well but that aspect is actually easier than driving a 11 metre coach
01-02-2020, 21:36   #7
Wishbone Ash

Reversing is a bit more difficult - especially a nearside reverse around a corner. Also, visibility via the mirrors is compromised when the tractor unit is at an acute angle with the trailer.

Artics tend to be more comfortable to drive as the movement of the trailer does not impact on the cab in the same way as in a rigid truck.
25-02-2020, 19:08   #8
donkey balls

Quote:
I am currently driving buses and coaches. I have also recently passed my C license and I am considering getting the CE license. Is learning to drive an artic much more difficult than rigids and coaches. What do you have to concentrate on more so than what I do everyday now.
Everything you learned about driving busses and ridged trucks apart from checking the mirrors f**k it out the window Its the opposite lock for turning etc while reversing.
Also need to watch out for the shoulder of the trailer kicking out when turning either left or right.
27-02-2020, 19:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey balls View Post
Everything you learned about driving busses and ridged trucks apart from checking the mirrors f**k it out the window Its the opposite lock for turning etc while reversing.
Also need to watch out for the shoulder of the trailer kicking out when turning either left or right.
+1 for the trailer kicking out. Happened to me when on a slip road off the M6 one day
Advertisement
05-03-2020, 10:28   #10
Mcloupj1

Thanks for the advice.Passed first time this week.Reversing the trailer was the hardest thing to get my head around
I had only 3 minor marks in the test and got it with 9 hours of lessons.
05-03-2020, 10:55   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.Passed first time this week.Reversing the trailer was the hardest thing to get my head around
I had only 3 minor marks in the test and got it with 9 hours of lessons.
Which side did the tester get you to reverse on? Well done on the pass.
05-03-2020, 22:04   #12
Mcloupj1

The easy side.Reversing around to my right hand side..I would have managed the opposite side also as my instructor was top class.
05-03-2020, 22:18   #13

You were lucky, I had to do a blind side reverse in the compound at Limerick test centre. At least you had the option of belt off/head out the window
06-03-2020, 22:22   #14
donkey balls

I had to reverse on both sides when doing my test, Is it one or the other now?
06-03-2020, 22:28   #15
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey balls View Post
I had to reverse on both sides when doing my test, Is it one or the other now?
Same here.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion