Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone tempted by the open water?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just about made it, screen print from facebook

518034.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

Just about made it, screen print from facebook

518034.jpg

:D
    Thats great nearly 10k in a day. Great stuff. Yea that was me in the yellow hat

audiRon wrote: »
    Thats great nearly 10k in a day. Great stuff. Yea that was me in the yellow hat

Did we meet?.

Did we meet?.
    Don't think so. I meant in the video

Don't think so. I meant in the video

I realized that after, I'd a few whiskeys last night :)

• Advertisement

Fecking jellies were badass yesterday.

I seen a friends Strava status saying she'd to get out due to jellies at Low Rock, I went to the beach (Matello Tower end) and get stung just on my lower calfs (I was wearing a swim suit) but I'd to help a girl to the lifeguard station who was in a swimsuit but got quite badly stung on her arms and legs, the jellies tenticals were hanging off her like a web.

Other than that nothing unusual to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Was planning on heading down tonight - do jellies hang around for long or could they all be gone in the space of a day?

thejaguar wrote: »
    Was planning on heading down tonight - do jellies hang around for long or could they all be gone in the space of a day?

I'll be honest and say I don't know.

I've been lucky in so far as anytime I've been stung its been nothing worse than the pain of a bunch of nettles but if there's loads around I'll have a think about it. But if I see a lot of Lions Mane washed up I don't go in.

Don't let posts like this scare you off, just take them as a warning that there may be more jellies than normal about, and if you swim near a lifeguard station they'll treat and advise you re. aftercare. You could even ask if there's been jellies around, I sometimes do.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I was swimming on portmarnock beach this morning. I was warned there was loads of jellies before I got in. I swam 1500 and never saw one. Saw plenty of crabs though! Water was flat calm and crystal clear which gave a bit of extra comfort. You just have to get on with it. You’re much more likely not to see one or be stung even if there’s “loads”.

A lot of jellyfish showing up over the past week around Low Rock and the beach, a lot of people getting stung and badly so. Lion's Mane is the worst for sure. It actually puts me off swimming without the wetsuit. With the NAC now open I'll be swimming less in the sea, and more in the pool. Between NAC, Clontarf baths and Lough Lene, I hope to avoid being stung.

• Advertisement

mickmc7 wrote: »
    I was swimming on portmarnock beach this morning. I was warned there was loads of jellies before I got in. I swam 1500 and never saw one. Saw plenty of crabs though! Water was flat calm and crystal clear which gave a bit of extra comfort. You just have to get on with it. You’re much more likely not to see one or be stung even if there’s “loads”.

I didn't see any yesterday but it was quite choppy. I just felt it on my legs and had a feeling I'd be stung then a little ahead of me I see a girl in quite a bit of distress. I'm not expert on jellies but she'd long clear/white tentacles hanging off her and appeared to be in severe pain.

I'm more inclined to just get on with things tbh, I only knew I'd been stung when I was started to feel an itch a few minutes after getting out to walk the girl over to the lifeguard hut.

Just off that topic for a moment, has anyone paid a visit to Decathlon beside Ikea in Ballymun?. I was in yesterday, I had hoped to pick up a dry robe but they'd only light toweling pullover hoodie robes but I almost wished I needed gear, I was spoiled for choice.

Well worth a visit and although there was lengthy ques yesterday they moved along very quickly, there's a coffee bar in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

This has really put me off swimming now in the sea, is there a jellyfish season!

new2tri19 wrote: »
    This has really put me off swimming now in the sea, is there a jellyfish season!

If you're in a wetsuit and you're unlucky - you'll have some nettle stings on your hands or your feet.
    You'd have to be really unlucky to end up with anything worse. I've never encountered a lion's mane apart from when I've been on dry land.

I got stung on the face once doing a triathlon. I think I was well on the bike before I even realised it happened - didn't see or feel a thing when I was in the water.

I admit I don't like seeing them though - they give me the creeps.

From around now til the middle of Sept, once the water heats up a bit they start coming in.

thejaguar wrote: »
    If you're in a wetsuit and you're unlucky - you'll have some nettle stings on your hands or your feet.
    You'd have to be really unlucky to end up with anything worse. I've never encountered a lion's mane apart from when I've been on dry land.

I got stung on the face once doing a triathlon. I think I was well on the bike before I even realised it happened - didn't see or feel a thing when I was in the water.

I admit I don't like seeing them though - they give me the creeps.

Cold water is the best thing for a sting. I've been stung by Lion's Mane a few times and if you get a bad one, it means no sleep that night, if it's from an early morning swim it might mean a day off work.

I wouldn't be put off, tbh this is the first year I've worn a wetsuit, I've been stung but as I said no worse than a nettle sting, which turns to an itch after awhile but if you're really worried and want to stay in the sea you'll pick up a cheap wetsuit for around a hundred Euro, or you can spend many times that if you have the budget (I don't).

Lions Mane is my no-go, I've simply read too much about their sting, so when I see a few washed up on the shore I'm really reluctant to go in or I'll walk to a part of the beach which doesn't have any and take my chances there.

Alternatively the pools are re opened but from the guidelines I've seen published I just won't bother.

I've never been in Clontarf so I might drop in on my way home from work sometime and see how things are re social distancing, prices etc.

Btw if you're going in this evening I've had two texts telling me there's been no jellies all day, at Low Rock anyway so I'd imagine the beach is the same.

I was in at Low Rock tonight - not a jellyfish in sight. Lovely calm evening - great swim.

I was down at portmarnock beach earlier and saw one or two washed up.

2hrs in the water at low rock this morning not a jellyfish in sight

Lovely swim this evening, no jellies and the sea was flat as a pancake :)

Lambay Island in the background

518690.jpg

Could have stayed in all evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cold water is the best thing for a sting. I've been stung by Lion's Mane a few times and if you get a bad one, it means no sleep that night, if it's from an early morning swim it might mean a day off work.

This about sums it up. I was stung twice over 3 days in Seapoint week before last. Both times Lions Mane and both times left forearm. Happened about 10 in the morning and still painful at midnight. I always take an anti histamine and under no circumstances rub it. Also try to avoid pulling any clothing over the affected area and try and leave uncovered if you can.
    From personal experience I always find I am more likely to get stung on a dull day. Maybe they come closer to the surface but this is just my personal feeling. Not scientific.
    I think as long as you don't get a severe reaction to them then it it just a hazard you have to put up with for 3 or 4 months of the year. I have been stung from early May to late September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    From personal experience I always find I am more likely to get stung on a dull day. Maybe they come closer to the surface but this is just my personal feeling. Not scientific.

I have a similar hunch about high tide at Seapoint - any time I have been stung it's been close to high tide. But again, maybe it's just the luck of the draw.

Went down to the Bull wall today, really didn't enjoy it. Done 600m and got out, very chopping, swimming into what felt like an offshore wind. I didn't check the sea state before heading out so I'm not sure.

I was suppose to swim with a work buddy today, but she hasn't been answering texts. Then got news that she's in an induced coma after a swim the day before yesterday, I have no idea what happened as all the news coming through is second & third hand from non swimmers.

Here's hoping.

Back to my happy place (Portmarnock tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Went down to the Bull wall today, really didn't enjoy it. Done 600m and got out, very chopping, swimming into what felt like an offshore wind. I didn't check the sea state before heading out so I'm not sure.

I was suppose to swim with a work buddy today, but she hasn't been answering texts. Then got news that she's in an induced coma after a swim the day before yesterday, I have no idea what happened as all the news coming through is second & third hand from non swimmers.

Here's hoping.

Back to my happy place (Portmarnock tomorrow).

I am sure most sea swimmers are aware of Dublin Bay Buoy... but just in case here is the link.

Real time sea state updates. Buoy is located about 4km NE of Dun Laoghaire piers.

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Obviously local conditions vary hugely but it gives a good general indication of current weather

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I am sure most sea swimmers are aware of Dublin Bay Buoy... but just in case here is the link.

Real time sea state updates. Buoy is located about 4km NE of Dun Laoghaire piers.

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Obviously local conditions vary hugely but it gives a good general indication of current weather

Hope your swimming buddy makes a full recovery

Cheers, yes I follow Dublin Bay Buoy on Twitter thanks all the same.

No news on her yet.

**Update, out on the induced coma and off intubation and making a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

I am hoping to get into some open water swimming this summer. I am a good swimmer and swam 4-5k a week in pools in my teens but alas, the 40s have arrived. So I was hoping to get into it with a local group. Not competitive but just for exercise and social.

The reason I messaged is for some advice on a wetsuit. I've been researching and it's a real minefield between brands etc. Can anyone advise on what to get, or indeed what not to get? My budget will be around €200 .
    I was told to get orca if I can or blue seventy?

batman1 wrote: »
    I am hoping to get into some open water swimming this summer. I am a good swimmer and swam 4-5k a week in pools in my teens but alas, the 40s have arrived. So I was hoping to get into it with a local group. Not competitive but just for exercise and social.

The reason I messaged is for some advice on a wetsuit. I've been researching and it's a real minefield between brands etc. Can anyone advise on what to get, or indeed what not to get? My budget will be around €200 .

This forum is usually very quite so I'll throw in my 2 cents to get you going.

This is my first year wearing a wetsuit, I looked around and like you said its a minefield and you can spend ridiculous money, or go for a budget suit (which is what I done).

My thinking was this.

I'm a competitive Judo black belt, my Judo suits are the best in the business. I can appreciate what advantages they give me in training and competition. They're very expensive compared to what a beginner would use. And here's my decider.. A beginner wouldn't feel the advantage a very expensive suit will give them, and I thought the same about a swimsuit, ie would I feel the difference between a budget suit and a really expensive suit like an Orca and thought 'go budget, push it to its limits then advance to a suit with more features that I'd appreciate'.

If all that makes sense.

What I would say is regardless whether you're buying budget or not, get it fitted in the shop by people who can fit you.

I bought my first off the rail, and it was dreadful. It was two sizes too big for me, but I didn't know this until at least my third swim when I was in choppy sea's, my suit was full of water and I was getting f*ck around like something in a washing machine, it was a dreadful experience.

I brought it back to the shop, explained what was happening and they happily fitted me with a suit two sizes smaller and I love it.

It cost me (I think) about 130 Euro, if it has flaws as a beginner I can't find them. One of my swim partners bought the same suit and took 6 minutes off their 1km best time, which is bloody huge but they're a novice with room to improve anyway.

You will swim faster, you'll stay in longer and immediately feel the extra buoyancy. I'm wearing a 3:2 summer suit, they got a 5:3 winter suit because they feel the cold easier than I do and that was really limiting their OW training times.

Oh, they resisted getting a suit until an encounter with a jellyfish!.

I'm far from an experience wetsuit user but I hope that helped a little.

batman1 wrote: »

Most important advice is to get it fitted in a shop by someone who knows what they're doing.

I started out years ago with a Lidl wetsuit. It seemed fine at the time but then I changed to a better wetsuit that fit me properly and the difference was unbeliveable. I lost a good bit of weight and the amazing wetsuit got a little loose, filled up with water and became a bit of a nightmare.

A good fit is really important.

Thankfully I put back on the weight I lost so I didn't need to shell out for a new wetsuit...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I've two suits that are the 'same' size

My cheaper Orca fits beautifully, doesn't fill up with water but is quite restrictive around the shoulders.

My more expensive Zoot starts off great, is buoyant where needed, helps rotation and is faster in the water. But, the small of the back fills with water after a bit so you wind up carrying a balloon around.

Point is to get fitted like others have said. It'll save you in the long run.
    You don't have to spend a fortune for something that fits well

Just home from a run on the beach and thinking about your question and how best to answer it or add to it but the other two lads have also covered what I said, have it fitted. I texted my mate who I'll be swimming with later to say the sea was very choppy and remembered how I was like a water balloon with the suit which was too big.

On getting the fit, it might be a good idea during the present Covid-19 pandemic to ring/email the shop to make sure they'll have someone to fit you. The suit I bought from the rail was because I just arrived at the shop, they couldn't fit me in for a fitting but I bought in haste anyway. When I rang to say the suit was way too big they gave me an appointed time and spent ages fitting it, my mate done the same and got a perfect fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Good advise there from previous posters.

I am ow swimming for the last 3 years and have had 3 different wetsuits. First was a dbh entry level one, was grand and did the trick until I got a bit surer in the water. Second was the Orca TRN which is another entry level suit. I have had this for 2 and a half years and it is a great wetsuit. Comfortable, easy put on take off and lets minimal water in. I am just after upgrading to this baby and am absolutely delighted with it. Like a previous poster said, I can appreciate the difference between the entry level suit and the Roka one and am much more comfortable in the open water now than I was a couple of years ago.

Best of luck with your choice

Advertisement