Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shockingly poor experience with ASUS

• 19-08-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

I'll paint the picture:

Purchased two ASUS laptops (same model) in Feb 2013 from Elara for my sisters who were both in final year of college.

One of these laptops has been relatively trouble free, whereas the other has been a nightmare. Freezing, blue screens etc.

A few weeks after purchase I send it back due to no longer actually powering on. Return #1.

Less than a month or so later this occurs again, but we persist as the laptop is badly needed, and is still functional, albeit frustratingly so.

Eventually we send it back a second time, I express the possibility of maybe getting a replacement seeing as their first 'fix' seemed to do nothing. They say they have a policy of 3x returns before a replacement is considered. Return #2.

Within a month or so of getting it back the second time, problems arise again. It is returned for a third time, just within the 12 month period. 3-4 months later, problems arise again.......and as of today I opened a new query only to be told that the product is out of 12 month warrenty etc etc and will cost money for me to get it back to them on top of whatever else.

Am I right to feel a little p1ssed off. Three times within the first year of ownership they were unable to give me a product that lasted longer than a few months working as it should.......and because of their 'policy' of 3 returns required......I've overshot the 12 months warrenty mark and it is no longer covered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Why are you not dealing with the retailer which would give you the full force of your consumer rights? You may have to start all over again with Elara. Let them provide a fix if that doesn't work ask for a replacement. If they are not forthcoming use the Small Claims Procedure.

If Elara told you to go to ASUS you might have grounds for demanding an immediate replacement (subject to their inspection of the goods) and if they are not forthcoming - Small Claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If you dealt directly with Asus then it is possible that Elara can tell you to take a hike as the repair didn't go through them (you don't make it clear whether or not you dealt directly with Asus or with Elara).

Elara have a talk to section on here. I've dealt with them several times and have always found their service very good, and would happily deal with them again.

As for Asus, we have a 14 month netbook we bought in PC World which is now a paperweight; when it crashed after 5 months I had to get the information retreived off it, which understandably voided my warranty (I didn't bother to fo to PC World after as the so-called professional who did the recoverery put a screw through the case putting it back together!). The machine worked for another 2 months after that before dying altogether (nothing to do with the screw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I first contacted Elara and one of their reps told me to get in touch with ASUS to get it sorted.....
    Hi ......

If you would call 1890719918, Asus will arrange for the unit to be picked up and sorted for you.

Regards

So three returns later and I'm still left with a dodgy laptop.

I'll just contact Elara directly again and see what they have to say. Maybe the fact that I'm on record as to contacting them first before anyone else may stand in my favour, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Fizman wrote: »
    I first contacted Elara and one of their reps told me to get in touch with ASUS to get it sorted.....

So three returns later and I'm still left with a dodgy laptop.

I'll just contact Elara directly again and see what they have to say. Maybe the fact that I'm on record as to contacting them first before anyone else may stand in my favour, we'll see.

If Elara have asked you to deal with the manufacturer happy days - explain that the fix has not taken and you are now looking for a replacement. If they aren't forth-coming initiate a small claim.

I suspect if you ask nicely in their talk to forum you'll be sorted.

Advertisement