Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Open sea swim calendar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Any boardsies doing killiney in the morning, I'll be in a red Sandycove Island swim hat .... Say hello!

Didn't spot the cap... unless you were wearing blue trunks? (and then took your cap off). In any case, the dude I saw was exiting the sea and I didn't want to ask a stranger if he was too old for the cold;)

Good race today, a nice bit of chop on the water. I was given a lower 3.5min handicap, so experienced swimming into traffic for the first time, towards the end. It felt like that final bouy would never come! My garmin track shows very wonky lines, think I was aiming for the wrong bouy at times:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Was that you in toilets getting changed before start? I said hi to you when going in. I was wearing a blue top. Anyway after the 3rd buoy i somehow headed for the 5th buoy, seeing no one around me nearing it I bloody realised I was near wrong buoy so cut over to proper buoy. Must of put an extra 100meters onto myself. Did you go off at 3:15? What's this 3.5mins?

2old4dacold,

How did you get on?

mad m wrote: »
    Was that you in toilets getting changed before start? I said hi to you when going in. I was wearing a blue top. Anyway after the 3rd buoy i somehow headed for the 5th buoy, seeing no one around me nearing it I bloody realised I was near wrong buoy so cut over to proper buoy. Must of put an extra 100meters onto myself. Did you go off at 3:15? What's this 3.5mins?

Ha, no I was changed from my car. We'll have to arrange a "Boards" handshake or something. I can't be asking strangers if they are "mad" either;)

I did the same thing after bouy 3, as did lots of others. Took me a while to cop on, I was wondering why others were swimming wide (as I thought at the time).

3.5 mins = 3:30.

Ah yeah, few races to go yet. Delighted for Paul O Flynn who won it, long time coming, he was due a win. He reads out the sports news on rte sports news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

@Kurt
    - no blue togs, black jammers. I was kinda late getting there so hat wasn't on for long. Should have left it on longer at the finish I guess. I did meet mad m. Catch you at the harbour maybe.

@mad m
    - 44th

think someone out front headed for the yellow buoy (permanent one) and load of us followed and so came in wide to 4th buoy when we copped on. I was too far in to shore on the way back to finish. I don't have a Garmin but if I did I'm not sure I'd like to look at the track today lol

Ah sure it will only help us for future races. I probably would of done better than 20th if I hadn't of done a tour, roll on the Harbour next Sunday. Anyone doing the great Dublin Swim on the Saturday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Grizz

I'm a bit put off by the great dublin swim - anyone know if there's a health risk with the quality of water?

There's 4 categories for the great dublin swim. Anyone know what times these would cover?
    There's novice, intermediate, advanced & elite.
    I can do a pool 1.5k swim in 35 mins, would that be enough for intermediate? Thanks

Grizz wrote: »
    I'm a bit put off by the great dublin swim - anyone know if there's a health risk with the quality of water?

You could get hit by a car quicker than getting anything from Liffey. Swam in it this year, and will be in September. Yeah I'd say you will be grand for intermediate. But having said that have you swam in open water before? Pool swimming totally different that open water. Also are you swimming skins or wetsuit?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Mad M, I'm fairly new to open swim, did the 1 mile in Camlough Lake last week and loved it. Was back there today and did another mile.
    I'm gonna do it in wet suit.

There's some great photo's up on Facebook from this past weekends races. In particular, some of the finishes are funny- several hands reaching up/around/past a scrum of finishers to get a place card before someone else! Whats the deal with finishing- the "line" is kind of fluid;), I've sprinted past someone over the final 10m or so, who then stood up and was given the placing before me. I've no problem with this- I'm racing for enjoyment- but is there a finish-line etiquette when passing towards the end, or in shallow water?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    There's some great photo's up on Facebook from this past weekends races. In particular, some of the finishes are funny- several hands reaching up/around/past a scrum of finishers to get a place card before someone else! Whats the deal with finishing- the "line" is kind of fluid;), I've sprinted past someone over the final 10m or so, who then stood up and was given the placing before me. I've no problem with this- I'm racing for enjoyment- but is there a finish-line etiquette when passing towards the end, or in shallow water?

Kurt it's doggy dog when it comes to getting your placing. Many a time I was reaching for a top 6th place and it was snatched out of my hand. Get in as quick as you can and grab like it's the Christmas sales....:)

A photo like this :D?[URL="[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Eire/media/imagejpg1_zps9424053e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Eire/imagejpg1_zps9424053e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]imagejpg1_zps9424053e.jpg

stood politely in line for my first couple of swims .... this was Monday :D

PhoenixCup.png

Taper now for rest of week. 2old4dacold will it ve hassle for you to collect your hat, , handicap, , Tshirt tomorrow

think I'm sorted thanks, but will give you a shout tomorrow if not.

I'll be wearing hat no.84 in the harbour tomorrow.
    any other boardsies doing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

I'll be wearing hat no.84 in the harbour tomorrow.
    any other boardsies doing it ?

I'm weighing in at 155

so any predictions for Harbour? I'm hat no 102. Hoping against hope to get out to buoy at lighthouse before anyone passes me:rolleyes:.

Gabriel Byrne has a great shot, but John McCarthy is jumping off the page at 8:15.

So.
    1. Gabriel Byrne/John McCarthy
    2. Lorcan Shelly
    3. Ciaran Balfe/ Ceall O Dualaing
    4. Tony Cruise/Rene Kral
    5. Niall O Sullivan

All depends on how the weather is....goodluck to all tomorrow!

where can I see the handicaps? not that I don't know enough people to make a prediction anyway ....

• Advertisement

Good predicting mad m

Freddio wrote: »
    Good predicting mad m

Yeah if only paddy power were taking bets. You did well yourself today especially in those conditions. Just after the men's started a gale force 4 wind was in affect!

Paddy Power be better off hiring you to price it up for him. You had me passed just before the lighthouse and left me for dust. Held off Freddio a bit longer, seeing his hat no. gave me a bit of hope that I wasn't doing too bad to hold off a speed merchant for so long. In along the bandstand was a form of torture ....

Paddy Power be better off hiring you to price it up for him. You had me passed just before the lighthouse and left me for dust. Held off Freddio a bit longer, seeing his hat no. gave me a bit of hope that I wasn't doing too bad to hold off a speed merchant for so long. In along the bandstand was a form of torture ....

Well you did well to finish it, see the results? 30 didn't finish it, have never seen that before. At bandstand is where I lost loads of time. Great to come out of it though and into calmer waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I was never so glad to see the bandstand, it got a bit calmer and I could actually put the power down and make up some places.

I've never swam in conditions like that, it was torture from the end of the left peir (Carlisle Pier??) to near the finish. That peice from the lighthouse to the bandstand was unbelievable, no rhythm was achieved what so ever.

Id love to see a video of the race conditions we were swimming through especially that piece around the wall.

Happy enough with my result, 14th overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mr jack

Good to see a few boardies commenting on the swims. Y'day was def. the toughest swim I've ever done, felt like a cork in a washing machine. It got to a point where I just wanted to be able to take a breath without swallowing water!! Tried to keep away from the East Pier wall was a priority as well.

Finished in the mid ninetines like all my swims this year, not havin any luck with my handicap. But y'day was just glad to finish

May I ask, in a skins only competition can you wear rash vests?
    I thought I saw the Dun Laoghaire winner wearing one.

Grizz wrote: »
    May I ask, in a skins only competition can you wear rash vests?
    I thought I saw the Dun Laoghaire winner wearing one.

It wasn't a rash vest, it a open water suit, not a wetsuit.

Well done to my team mate Gabriel Byrne, seen some footage of finish and he pulled away from Gerry Dunne just at end. Very exciting to watch

[URL="[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Eire/media/imagejpg1_zps2d05ca65.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Eire/imagejpg1_zps2d05ca65.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]imagejpg1_zps2d05ca65.jpg

• Advertisement

Please excuse my ignorance, but would a suit like that not give advantage over a bare chest?

Advertisement