Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swimming Beginner

Options
  • 24-10-2007 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

:eek:hey guys, i've recently started swimming lessons as im eagar to be a good swimmer..its proving difficult..done the front crawl and breast stroke. I kno inevitably loads of practice will be the way to get better. Timing and co ordination all off, technique isn't that great either. I realise the majority of people in here are quality swimmers and this might bore ya to tears but any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im very nervous when im outta of my depth in the deep end, whats the correct way yo keep surfaced..suppose I just need to build my confidance up a bit..Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Hey -

The best way to get comfortable in the deep end is to start in the shallow end. Practice floating on your back, your lungs will act as your "buoy"..concentrate on getting the balance right and you will float effortlessly....once youve mastered this flip over and practice floating with your face in the water....kicking gently for both drills helps "sinking"...hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PTG

Don't fight the water, let the water help you move through it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I've never seen this forum before ... :o
    PTG wrote: »
    Don't fight the water, let the water help you move through it

This is excellent advice. From teaching both adults and children, one of the major issues that adults suffer from (but kids generally don't) is that your average male adult will try to force their way through as much water as possible, as quickly as possible.

I haven't swam competitively in about 7 years now, but jumped in for a short session 2 weeks ago, and "instinctively" knew how to hold my body up in the water, and maintain active buoyancy while also remaining relatively streamlined. These sort of things are incredibly important, but can't be simply taught - these skills can only be gained through experience and practice.

Confidence is incredibly important, and with confidence comes skill. You'll never be able to fully progress through to become a competent swimmer until you get over any initial doubts or fears you may have, and PTG's post sums up this perfectly - Let the water help you. If you fight the water, it will fight back. If you treat it well, it'll let you pass through easily.

It may sound pretty strange, but it really is how swimming works. Try not to concentrate on pushing all the water around you, behind you, as fast and as hard as possible. Instead, slow down your stroke to about 50-75% of your "normal" speed, and concentrate solely on technique, balance and bouyancy.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

For Freestyle ( front crawl ) Swimming:

Push off from the shallow end and keep you head under only surface after every three strokes for a breath, if you keep your head under not only will you go faster but as you notice the pool gradually descend you wont feel threatened as you will no doubt be near to the end of the deep end ( im assuming its a 25 m pool ), when you get to the end of the deep end if your not a good swimmer just touch the wall, turn around, deep breath, head under again arms out in front and use your legs to push away from the deep end wall and you will glide a bit then just start swimming freestyle back to the shallow end.

Repeat as necessary and gain confidence!

Regards,

David.

Steyr wrote: »
    only surface after every three strokes for a breath

Apologies, but I consider this very bad advice for someone trying to get fit, or someone who is only coming to terms with more advanced swimming techniques.
    Breathing every 3 strokes requires a great deal of lung capacity, self control and a higher level of fitness than most "normal" people have.

I recommend a slightly different breathing technique. You still breath every 3rd stroke, but you split the rythm with a stroke after 2 breaths. ie: stroke, stroke, breath, stroke, breath, stroke, stroke, breath, stroke, breath.... etc
    This is essentially 2 on the left, stroke, stroke, 2 on the right, stroke, stroke ... and so on
    This gives you more than enough air to get you through your sessions :)

• Advertisement

zoro wrote: »
    Apologies, but I consider this very bad advice for someone trying to get fit, or someone who is only coming to terms with more advanced swimming techniques.
    Breathing every 3 strokes requires a great deal of lung capacity, self control and a higher level of fitness than most "normal" people have

Sorry its just im a competitive swimmer. I apologise.

:) No problem. I wasn't giving out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PTG

Steyr wrote: »
    Sorry its just im a competitive swimmer. I apologise.

You make a useless coach

PTG wrote: »
    You make a useless coach

ROFL. Comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

zoro wrote: »
    Breathing every 3 strokes requires a great deal of lung capacity, self control and a higher level of fitness than most "normal" people have.

I recommend a slightly different breathing technique. You still breath every 3rd stroke, but you split the rythm with a stroke after 2 breaths. ie: stroke, stroke, breath, stroke, breath, stroke, stroke, breath, stroke, breath.... etc
    This is essentially 2 on the left, stroke, stroke, 2 on the right, stroke, stroke ... and so on
    This gives you more than enough air to get you through your sessions :)

When I got back into swimming after a good 10 years off I found 3 strokes perfect, and I was very unfit and a terrible swimmer.

• Advertisement

Well competitive swimming is like riding a bike in that respect, you see.
    You may have been rusty, and lacking any particular grace in the water, but your buoyancy and control in the water would still be infinitely better than a beginners, even after 10 years out of the water. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I've been teaching for about 8 years now, the tough part for a lot of adults is how progress is fast initially and then seems to grind to a halt. This is especially hard on parents who are trying to learn at the same time as their kids. Kids pick it up a lot faster and have very little fear of the water, fast nervous limb movements lose purchase on the water, the key is to gain confidence and comfort in the water. This is gradual.
    Learning to swim is not all about milling up and down with a few floats either, developing skills like breath control and balance are essential and a little time spend picking a weight off the bottom in chest deep water beside the bar will pay off, likewise floating and rolling around will make you feel far more comfortable. If you are nervous or unsure of something while practising ask the pool staff, If your nervous in deep water stay close to the wall and tell the pool staff before you get in what you intend, They will help you before it gets out of hand.
    The biggest pay off from practice is leg work, I know it is physically very tough and quite boring, but balance in front and back crawl all stems from a stong regular kick, keep those toes pointed and cramps will become few and far between.
    When you get to arms, its not about fast strokes, its about Stretching, your hand enters the water straight in front of you, and at full reach without having to bend your back, pull the whole way through to your hip. There is a practice called sculling, which is basically just using your hand as a paddle, changing only the angle it makes to push you (no arm movement above elbow), This can be done in a standing position to get a feel for it, as your stroke improves it will pay off to ask a lifeguard or teacher/coach to show you this practice as it builds strength and endurance in the small muscles in your arms wrists and shoulders that swimmers have honed to make it look easy.
    Take your time, never be afraid to ask, If you think some advice was dodgy, Post a question over it here, I'll have a gawk.

Advertisement