Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how much benifit from a single one to one lesson?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    ive recently joined a gym with a pool for the first time in a long time (about 6 weeks there now) and every day im going for a swim which is thoroughly satifying tbh. But ive just realised after 30 odd years that i cant really swim all that well and that my techniques is all wrong... I try and do the crawl but can't even complete a lenght (25m) without being shattered, so i resirt to doing a relawing breast-stroke for about 20 lenghts. I really want to improve and would like someone to teach me how to do the crawl 'properly' using breathing techniques etc... Im will to get a one-to-one lesson as i see them advertised in the gym, but will I learn much from a single lesson or am i better of researching on line with videos etc.... basically id be struggling justifying paying 30euro for a half hour lesson more than once or twice at a push, simply put i couldnt afford it.
    So any advice would be welcomed
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Hi all,
    basically id be struggling justifying paying 30euro for a half hour lesson more than once or twice at a push, simply put i couldnt afford it.
    So any advice would be welcomed
    Thank you

This says alot, if you can't afford it then you can't. bascially there is no quick fix, its practice, practice, practice.

The videos on the net will help you alot, like the drills. Look up drills for front crawl and try and give them a shot. As I said there is no quick fix. The main thing is to try and get your breathing right, streamline body, kick from the hips, position your hand hits water and your pull (Front Crawl). Try and not lift your head up, because your back will drop creating drag...

Check out the link......

Link

Link

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks for the reply... start using a polyboard or whatever they are called because a friend said the same to me about practicing kicking from the hips to build up leg strength. Tried it today and I am sure i was actually moving backwards :o i must be doing something very wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

thanks for the reply... start using a polyboard or whatever they are called because a friend said the same to me about practicing kicking from the hips to build up leg strength. Tried it today and I am sure i was actually moving backwards :o i must be doing something very wrong..
    Point your toes, if you don't you will go backwards, you might need to work on flexability in the ankles especially if you run a lot. Also when kicking do not just lock your legs out straight, you will need to bend/flex your knees a small bit when kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Why not try a group class ?

If you do get a one to one class explain beforehand its just the one and ask for a stroke analysis to be done and a list of things to work on.

General tips. (front crawl)
    Practice short distances concentrating on your stroke before concentrating on breathing.
    Work on your kick, doesnt add massively in propulsion terms but it helps keep you streamlined. A poor kick cause the legs to sink and body to sway which causes a lot of drag.
    Make sure the you pull all the way back and when recovering your arm its in the air and not dragging in the water.
    Use your shoulders, stretch out with the shoulder and lift it up with your arm.
    Breathing. Head turns not lifts. Turn as arm lifts turns back as hand enters the water. Make sure to finish breathing out before turning your head.

Advertisement