Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Swim Goggles?

• 03-09-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I have never had good experiences with swim goggles.
    I had read that the Seal XP (small face mask style) was good:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2316.htm

So I bought one. Fantastic the first use. After that and ever since... it would not hold the seal, no matter how I adjusted or placed on face.

I have my first triathlon coming up in late September and I want to get sorted with goggles that work for me!

Any advice on where to go, somewhere that knows a bit and can talk through styles/preferences. I will be wearing contact lenses so it's even more important that they stay on and not leak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I know this isn't going to help you but from speaking to all my swimming friend, goggles are a very individual thing. I spent a small fortune when I first started on expensive pairs and it turns out the cheapest speedo pair in Arnotts are ideal for my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Kind of suspected as much :)

Any advice on the best place/store to view the widest range so?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I use Eyeline Aquamates, they sell 'em round my local pool - i recently tried a pair of speedo goggles with non-adjustable nosepiece, I found them terrible.

http://www.eyeline.com.au/View_Products.asp?gp=Goggles&subcatid=3&cat=1

Unfortunately i can't tell if they'll fit you. It's a process of trial and error finding a goggle that works for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

DaDa - welcome to the bane of the triathlete! I have the same problem with the Seal goggles and honestly, with the triathlon swim you want to have a good line of sight.

I have had good luck with the higher end adjustable Speedo goggles. I use anti-fog stuff with them and bob's yer uncle. I paid about 20 euros for my Speedo goggles. You could order a few pairs online and try them out - check their return policy. A good swim place will understand and let you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I use speedo speedsockets. Best goolges i've ever had! I bought them a year ago and the haven't leaked once. They're a bit pricy though and it can take a while to ge used to them.

http://www.swimshop.co.uk/recno/6/product-Speedo-Speedsocket-Goggle-SPEEDSOCKET.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I used to use speedo endurance googles for training. Similar to the futura range but smaller and more adjustment.

For racing I used small goggles that fit into your eye socket, basicly covers your eyes only.
    http://www.swimshop.co.uk/recno/6/product-Speedo-Aquablade-Goggle-AQUABLADEGOGGLE.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 drollab

I have fierce difficulty with goggles, I bought a pair of Speedo ones in Sydney and have been using them for nearly 2 years but I could not buy them here or on any websites. they cost nearly €25 but well worth it. However for open water swimming the vision is not great.

I tried speedo ones that are like a mask but they were crap. I was in Cummins Sports in Douglas Shopping centre in Cork and found a pair of Aquasphere ones and they seemed good with excellent suction (spelling!) around the eyes but I did not buy them at the time.

I looked around loads of other shops but no joy so ended up buying Speedo Glacier goggles on SUnday, they are similar design and should be good for open water swimming. I'm travelling up to the Nore swim in Kilkenny on SUnday so I'll see what they are like then!

don't test new equipment at a race. Test them if you get a chance before you're supposed to race(even 10 mins before) - make sure you have goggles you know'll work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd say the eyeline's too, i used them for years competitively for both training and races, not sure of the exact model but similar to the ones mentioned above, never had any problems with them leaking, they can be a bit difficult to find in shops though

I'd stay away from the futura style of goggle with no adjustable nose piece

Or you could try the Swedish style racing goggles, these are fairly cheap and you make the nose piece yourself with sometimes what is only a piece of string, takes ages to get it right but some people find these goggles the best for racing. Personally I find them uncomfortable and always want to wear the same goggles for racing as I train in so there's no point in wearing an uncomfortable pair for hours a week training

drollab wrote:
    I'm travelling up to the Nore swim in Kilkenny on SUnday so I'll see what they are like then!

Well - how did you get on with your goggles?

Slightly OT but swimming related - how was the Suir? I was in the Liffey on Saturday and it was cleaner than i expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

I tried the Aquasphere... and bingo... work a treat!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Yeah, Ive tried most of them,
    Aquasphere are the business, if your racing in a pool, its gotta be speed sockets, but if your training adn leisure swimming and want a pair you can use for both in open water, its gotta be aquasphere, comfy durable, good field of vision, easily adjusted, hard to get kicked off (triatheletes). Get them

Advertisement