Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sore wrists from swimming?

• 04-02-2020 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I recently (3 months ago) started taking swimming lessons. I've been swimming about 3 x 30 mins sessions per week. Ive been noticing recently that my wrists are getting super sore, like away at night sore. Is this norming for swimming?

I also use the gym about 3 days a week. Using the gym about 6 month and not really attributing that to the wrist pain as it didnt really come along until the swimming.

I do type a lot for work, have to use my mobile to type as well as a keyboard, but been doing this for years with no issues.

Anyway, trying to find out if this is normal when starting to swim?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Haven't noticed it but when I was learning my instructor always said to make sure that you have your fingers together or else you're putting too much pressure on your hand with a less efficient result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Possible, try to keep your arm straight from the elbow down to the finger tips. Think of it as a paddle.
    Using new muscles and tendons is unpredicable for pain, everyone reacts differently.
    The typing is a classic cause of wrist pain, though. Keep the wrists as neutral as possible. Carpal Tunnel pain is no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Haven't noticed it but when I was learning my instructor always said to make sure that you have your fingers together or else you're putting too much pressure on your hand with a less efficient result.

a slight gap between your fingers produces more thrust from your hands.

Swimming with your arms all tense may be causing a problem.

Are you doing any sculling drills or are you solely working on learning front crawl ?

I would suggest talking to your instructor, I'd be surprised if it wasn't due to some funky motion you are making with your wrists/hands or that you are way to tense and that is causing some rsi issues.

I'd have to say its not "normal" but everyone is different and has different histories. and physiology. Talk to the instructor, get them to keep an eye on your technique or do a stroke analysis with wrist movement focus. It should help give you some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

I said I type a lot, but it's probably not a lot a lot, and after a few days of not swimming but still working, the pain goes away.

I'm not doing sculling, I'd never heard of it before now. I do feel it might be my hand position so I'll talk to the instructor.

Thanks

Advertisement