Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Commission vs Ireland Apple tax case judgment

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

So the EU Commission has opted to appeal the General Court's verdict at the last moment.

The appeal hearing will take years and the cynic in me suspects that this is merely a face saving, kick the can down the road gambit by Von Der Leyden and Vestager.

I get the impression from tax commentators on twitter that this is indeed the case. There’s been such huge political investment in this case by the Commission that they can’t just give up now, even if the chances of a successful appeal are slim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I get the impression from tax commentators on twitter that this is indeed the case. There’s been such huge political investment in this case by the Commission that they can’t just give up now, even if the chances of a successful appeal are slim

That's about it. Hell hath no fury like a female Commissioner scorned - even though she's moved on from her old job.

The shallowness of the Commission's stance is well set out in this article:-

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40055570.html

It's such a shame that Phil Hogan wasn't still around to argue/fight Ireland's corner.

For all her talents, the New Girl wasn't really in a position to take on the Commission Heavyweights - especially given that Vestager's good pal, Von Der Leyden, had selected her as Commissioner only a couple of weeks ago!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That's about it. Hell hath no fury like a female Commissioner scorned - even though she's moved on from her old job.

The shallowness of the Commission's stance is well set out in this article:-

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40055570.html

It's such a shame that Phil Hogan wasn't still around to argue/fight Ireland's corner.

For all her talents, the New Girl wasn't really in a position to take on the Commission Heavyweights - especially given that Vestager's good pal, Von Der Leyden, had selected her as Commissioner only a couple of weeks ago!

Especially as she is not yet Commissioner, so there is not much she can do at the moment. I think Von der Leyden has a high opinion of McGuinness as well.

Especially as she is not yet Commissioner, so there is not much she can do at the moment. I think Von der Leyden has a high opinion of McGuinness as well.

As have I.

My point is/was that it's a pity we hadn't someone of Hogan's standing to kick Vesthager around when she acted the diva.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As have I.

My point is/was that it's a pity we hadn't someone of Hogan's standing to kick Vesthager around when she acted the diva.

Didn't work first time around, did it?

It is cases like this that give the EU commission a bad reputation, and allows the likes of malevolent journalist to make up fake stories. Now who would do that?

• Advertisement

Didn't work first time around, did it?

It is cases like this that give the EU commission a bad reputation, and allows the likes of malevolent journalist to make up fake stories. Now who would do that?

No one springs immediately to mind.

Although the Daily Telegraph used to have a young, very ambitious, blond journalist - ex-Etonian I think - who might have! ;)

No one springs immediately to mind.

Although the Daily Telegraph used to have a young, very ambitious, blond journalist - ex-Etonian I think - who might have! ;)

If it is the guy I am thinking of, I think he still writes for them - the same mixture of half truths, non-truths, and lies. Some things never change.

Advertisement