Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"Sara" last year managed about 9k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Why would someone bother signing up 4000 accounts?

It’s mental. Like, setting up an account isn’t that laborious in isolation but you still have to do the whole email confirmation thing. Imagine doing that multiple times? And of course you’d have to set up new email addresses for each account. Sounds spectacularly boring.

It’s mental. Like, setting up an account isn’t that laborious in isolation but you still have to do the whole email confirmation thing. Imagine doing that multiple times? And of course you’d have to set up new email addresses for each account. Sounds spectacularly boring.

Theres websites/software that will do this for you?

Theres even website that will set up 3min email temp address for ya

I used chat with that lad,that reregs whole time on PM,seemed a sound bloke and ya could knock a bitta laugh outta him

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I used chat with that lad,that reregs whole time on PM,seemed a sound bloke and ya could knock a bitta laugh outta him
    There are at least 4 who are "regulars"

Beasty wrote: »
    There are at least 4 who are "regulars"

Haha....jesus

Chap i chatted with,just seemed to treat it,as a really obscure pasttime tbh

Each to their own i guess!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Probably a bad idea to be talking about him here, kinda like saying Candyman three times to a mirror... anyway. Scanlas is sound for the most part, have had plenty of short conversations with him, but... his constant reregging is a pain in the arse! Haven't seen an aul chore sex thread in a long time though. Not sure if he's slipping or admin are catching much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This is it wrote: »
    Probably a bad idea to be talking about him here, kinda like saying Candyman three times to a mirror... anyway. Scanlas is sound for the most part, have had plenty of short conversations with him, but... his constant reregging is a pain in the arse! Haven't seen an aul chore sex thread in a long time though. Not sure if he's slipping or admin are catching much quicker.

Scanlas is chore sex lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mike_ie wrote: »
    Also, to point out, due to a spammer signing up 4,000 accounts

It's not your fault who have to clean up the mess. But it really shouldn't be possible for someone to set up 4000 spam accounts just like that. Cloudflare causes issues for some genuine posters, but didn't obstruct the 4k account spammer at all, it seems.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Theres websites/software that will do this for you?

Theres even website that will set up 3min email temp address for ya

Oh right. I'm naive about that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

McMurphy wrote: »
    Scanlas is chore sex lad?

The original

• Advertisement

In a thread about the removal of statues in the Sheraton, mike_ie is bizarrely trying to assert that discussion of the Prime Time episode that deals with that very topic hours beforehand is "wildly off-topic".

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114183480#post114183480

Cancelling a conversation about an episode of Prime Time which specifically deals with cancel culture is just incredibly mad moderation.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Response to mod warning in thread, pm to me, and then straight to feedback all in the space of half an hour - this must really be urgent.

What I was about to reply to your PM is that at my count, there are three pages of little except slagging off Dr Ebun Joseph, questioning her mental state, one of our more frequent flyers telling her to go back to Africa if she doesn't like it here. The more pointed of those have been actioned individually, but asking people in general to actually discuss the topic isn't out of line. I have however, clarified that even further in the mod note.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Response to mod warning in thread, pm to me, and then straight to feedback all in the space of half an hour - this must really be urgent.

What I was about to reply to your PM is that at my count, there are three pages of little except slagging off Dr Ebun Joseph, questioning her mental state, one of our more frequent flyers telling her to go back to Africa if she doesn't like it here. The more pointed of those have been actioned individually, but asking people in general to actually discuss the topic isn't out of line. I have however, clarified that even further in the mod note.

Regardless of whether or not her mental state should be discussed, it would have been helpful for your mod note to be more detailed when you posted it.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod: Reminder that you need to be a member on site for at least 3 months to post in Feedback.

The hijacking of threads by people who want to go off on a racist rant is becoming ridiculous. Eg the discussion on the conviction of a healthcare assistant who raped an alzheimer's patient has descended into certain posters declaring that they knew the perpetrator would be a foreigner. It's a dreadful case but there's posters that are using threads to push hate based on people being from certain regions.

There's also for the record, posters that clearly veer into the territory of white supremacists. Eg claims about the "deracination" of Ireland. It's not subtle and the posters simply see to get threads that are safe zones to engage in rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Regardless of whether or not her mental state should be discussed, it would have been helpful for your mod note to be more detailed when you posted it.

In turn do you not think it would have been helpful of you to give him a chance to respond to a PM, or Report on his post, of constructive criticisms before making an on-thread swipe at moderation? I don’t find it helpful in the least, arguing on-thread is blatant derailment no matter what it’s dressed up with and is one of my bugbears. Even posting about it here is a far sight better but I wish more users would actually take the good faith approaches offered first before assuming deliberate negligence or promoting popular opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The hijacking of threads by people who want to go off on a racist rant is becoming ridiculous. Eg the discussion on the conviction of a healthcare assistant who raped an alzheimer's patient has descended into certain posters declaring that they knew the perpetrator would be a foreigner. It's a dreadful case but there's posters that are using threads to push hate based on people being from certain regions.

Stopped reading it after about 10 posts. Went back in just now and it hasn't changed. There's no point engaging. Where is that Patrick Nevin guy from? Louth, I think? Amazing no one is calling for action against people from Louth.

I rarely use this site these days and I'd say there are many more doing the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Stopped reading it after about 10 posts. Went back in just now and it hasn't changed. There's no point engaging. Where is that Patrick Nevin guy from? Louth, I think? Amazing no one is calling for action against people from Louth.

I rarely use this site these days and I'd say there are many more doing the same thing.

Who is calling for action against people from Nigeria?

It is entirely reasonable that we deport this piece of garbage when he has served his sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It is entirely reasonable that we deport this piece of garbage when he has served his sentence.

Its more complex than that though isn't it? Given he's been here 15 years, hes likely an Irish citizen, as are his wife and kids. The tone and phrasing of some of the posts would not be as they are were he white Irish. As said on the thread, some posters are using the thread as a ruse to disguise their own racist tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

People have called for his whole family including his children to be deported, they want to punish the children for the actions of the father.

• Advertisement

Its more complex than that though isn't it? Given he's been here 15 years, hes likely an Irish citizen, as are his wife and kids. The tone and phrasing of some of the posts would not be as they are were he white Irish. As said on the thread, some posters are using the thread as a ruse to disguise their own racist tendencies.

We generally can’t deport white Irish criminals so it makes sense that deportation doesn’t come up regarding white Irish criminals.

And that thread has now also descended into people ranting about Dr Ebun Joseph. And the motivation for obsessing over her isn't subtle.

It's a very real story where multiple families are affected and there's huge questions to be asked, discussions to be had. But it's just become another soapbox for people posters who really don't give a damn. And plenty of the posters doing it are regulars.

We generally can’t deport white Irish criminals so it makes sense that deportation doesn’t come up regarding white Irish criminals.

Cant deport black irish criminals either though??

So the suggestion of deportation is a bit silly,if as stated he holds irish citizenship?

Cant deport black irish criminals either though??

I posted a link in that thread to an article from a Nigerian website that says he is Nigerian. So deport away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I posted a link in that thread to an article from a Nigerian website that says he is Nigerian. So deport away.

You do realise he can be Nigerian and Irish at the same time and it is possible to hold two passports?

Nobody in that thread has provided any evidence to say he is not an Irish citizen (yet many have claimed it as fact regardless, the very definition of fake news) and the posts saying he should be deported despite not knowing his status are obviously a ruse to satisfy some posters racist tendencies. The thread is dripping in it. Not sure why his heinous crime cannot be discussed in a civil manner without posters shoehorning their racist attitudes into the thread.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Admin: please bring the discussion back around to the thread at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Closing the Antifa thread was uncalled for. It's over a year old, one of the biggest threads in current affairs and Antifa have never been more current affairs than they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Closing the Antifa thread was uncalled for. It's over a year old, one of the biggest threads in current affairs and Antifa have never been more current affairs than they are now.

Cancel culture strikes again. In a time when Antifa should be talked about the most the thread gets closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The premise of the thread went out the window; these protests are so much more now than Antifa, and a lot of the undercurrent on the thread was just “basement dwellers who can’t get jobs fcuking scumbags” this and that.

There’s still a lot of newsworthy developments these days, with pushes from lawmakers now who want to ban protests period as a way of addressing the dissent, under the auspices of Covid-19, and historians likening the federal response to the soviet KGB. Perhaps a broader thread on that now then, the police protests, and not just an Antifa-headed thread which is more or less derision of a particular movement in a less than constructive manner. In reality these protests aren’t just Antifa or BLM or Moms or Dads or Veterans, they encompass all those groups, and more.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

2u2me wrote: »
    Cancel culture strikes again. In a time when Antifa should be talked about the most the thread gets closed.

We may as well have renamed it The Pissing Contest thread. It had devolved to a point of being a back and forth between posters repeating the same old circular arguments over and over again, and was generating a ridiculous amount of reported posts due the squabbling going on there. It was rightly closed and shall remain so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement