Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2018, 12:12   #1
GrabTheCREAM

Chance for random selection?

So I was wondering, for anyone who got a GAMSAT score on the cutoff of the college they applied to, did you get a place? I'm just trying to see the likelihood of getting an offer if you're on the cutoff since they don't really release that info

Also, I heard someone on this was put on a waiting list for RCSI and they would call every day for an update until they got offered a place over the phone, is this something that's possible?

Thanks
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 11:23   #2
ChromosomeT

also interested in the likelihood of this as I'm sitting on 53, hoping to just about scrape into UL if luck is on my side! Hopefully, if this 10% reduction in GEM applicants is true, there might be some hope in points reducing to 2014 levels.

I've also applied for the scholarship but I'm not too sure if they'd also evaluate each applicant on their GAMSAT score in conjunction with the access application.
23-05-2018, 12:53   #3
GrabTheCREAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromosomeT View Post
also interested in the likelihood of this as I'm sitting on 53, hoping to just about scrape into UL if luck is on my side! Hopefully, if this 10% reduction in GEM applicants is true, there might be some hope in points reducing to 2014 levels.

I've also applied for the scholarship but I'm not too sure if they'd also evaluate each applicant on their GAMSAT score in conjunction with the access application.
Yeah I’m hoping points drop, at least for UCD since the fees have also gone up by a good bit
30-05-2018, 05:26   #4
indiep

What are you hoping UCD drops to? Will you head to Limerick if it doesn't drop?
30-05-2018, 22:48   #5
GrabTheCREAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiep View Post
What are you hoping UCD drops to? Will you head to Limerick if it doesn't drop?
To 58 preferably but probably won’t happen as it’s stayed 59 since 2016 haha

But I’d pick whatever I’d get tbh I’ve listed my preference in terms of points so UCD RCSI UCC then UL would be my list but I’d be fine going to any would prefer UL over UCC though as I’d still like to go back home to Dublin on weekends instead of moving to cork altogether
Advertisement
31-05-2018, 00:08   #6
indiep

Ah sure fingers cross you might be in with a shout! 
I got 56 so hopefully UL wont take a big jump. My preference was UCD, RCSI (purely cause I'm from Dublin) but I like UL's teaching methodology and campus so happy out if I get the offer. 
I hadn't only intended on using March as a gauge for September so If I get an offer I'll be chuffed.
31-05-2018, 13:00   #7
HopefulGEM18

Are you keeping Dublin as your first choice? I'm in the same position with a score of 57 and I am worried that if I don't take Dublin off as my first choice and put Limerick there that the Limerick places will be all offered to whoever has Limerick first and has a sufficient GAMSAT score. They're only offering 100 places this year.
31-05-2018, 15:30   #8
indiep

I think that person who was posting in the other thread is wrong! its the same as the CAO,  with 57 you will definitely get UL
06-06-2018, 18:06   #9
moss house

I got 55 this time which I was delighted with as I got 51 last year I am hoping I may be offered a place in UL if I’m lucky. Other than speculate I imagine there is no way for any of us to figure out what the final figures will be in light of the numbers who applied this year. I made a big effort this year to be prepared so unfortunately if I am not successful this year I will have to look at studying medicine abroad
Advertisement
09-06-2018, 05:13   #10
GrabTheCREAM

FOr the CAO during LC, I know the CAO would work down your list so from choice 1 to 4 in this case, meaning it will try to get you an offer the highest choice it can. So if you’ve got 57 then you’re pretty much guaranteed a spot in UL. But this means if you’ve UL below UCC, (UCC @ 3, UL @ 4) then if UCC drops to 56 or 57 then CAO will offer you a spot there, and so on

Hope this makes sense
09-06-2018, 19:39   #11
Celestial12

1. UCD
2. RCSI
3. UCC
4. UL

I don't think I'll be changing my order of preference. How have you all ranked your choices?
10-06-2018, 22:26   #12
santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulGEM18 View Post
Are you keeping Dublin as your first choice? I'm in the same position with a score of 57 and I am worried that if I don't take Dublin off as my first choice and put Limerick there that the Limerick places will be all offered to whoever has Limerick first and has a sufficient GAMSAT score. They're only offering 100 places this year.
Hi. Just wondering what your source is for this, i.e. the 100 places?

I'm also on 53 with UL as first choice. I hope the reduction in applications referred to in the other thread is correct but I'm not counting any chickens yet, it's only hearsay as far as I'm concerned
10-06-2018, 23:14   #13
debbysoap

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
Hi. Just wondering what your source is for this, i.e. the 100 places?

I'm also on 53 with UL as first choice. I hope the reduction in applications referred to in the other thread is correct but I'm not counting any chickens yet, it's only hearsay as far as I'm concerned
I called UL and they said the same thing: 100 places including international students and that it was 100 places last year too.
10-06-2018, 23:47   #14
santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbysoap View Post
I called UL and they said the same thing: 100 places including international students and that it was 100 places last year too.
Ah ok. Thanks for that. What's the reason for the decrease I wonder? I'm no economist but if supply (places) has gone down it'll probably make things more competitive?

Sorry for being on the negative side today, still very ticked off after the exam/results
11-06-2018, 01:05   #15
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
Ah ok. Thanks for that. What's the reason for the decrease I wonder? I'm no economist but if supply (places) has gone down it'll probably make things more competitive?

Sorry for being on the negative side today, still very ticked off after the exam/results
They also offered 100 places last year, so it won't make things more competitive as there'll be no difference year on year.

There's a rumour that applications are down 8% this year, which came from someone who spoke to admin at RCSI I believe? Can't recall for sure. If that's true, then it may result in a points drop.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion